Supposed malicious link in this General Trainz Forum. Security issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are spot on d0g, apart from the fact that it is possible to embed malicious code in an image. Last March there was a trojan that was able to hide inside a PNG image for example.

But in this case onknotsen is only guilty by association. The image is blocked because the IP it's coming from is blacklisted in some software. Not because the program actually detects malicious code in what oknotsen himself is using. It comes from the fact that a lot of people are using that same address with their own members.chello.nl page. Something iffy is still going on at one of those members it seems.

Oknotsen, you would probably be better off hosting that image somewhere else. After being a customer with them for years I have little faith left that they will be able to keep their servers off of blacklists for a prolonged time. Especially now that Chello and UPC are one company. The UPC e-mail servers were always on some blacklist or other.

I will gladly put the image on one of my servers so that you can link to it from there by the way.

Hi all,
I agree with the various explanations.
BTW I want to make it clear that I never blamed oknotsen for any of this, it was always another member of members.chello.nl.
The only intent was to keep Trainz forum safe from the many predators around.
I have checked the protection log again and found that whatever it was, caused my computer to try and access the IP address 5 times in one minute. The blocking was successful as there was no residual malware left on my computer. I have checked several times.
Thanks for all the comments. I think we can now close this item.

Regards,

Lou Simonis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back