Stupid question

May I add to dietrich's excellent advice that you get a freeware program (like irfanview) to modify your screenshots. You can *paste* the picture you have just taken and then modify it if you wish. Most importantly you can save the file as a .jpeg which really reduces the file size.

Have fun!

:wave:

Gisa ^^

There's nothing wrong with asking stupid questions buffalo_trains 93, that's how we all learn things.....
In addition to the below answers, if you wanted to take a lot of screenshots, you can use Fraps and keep all your pictures in folders on your desktop or my documents area. Here's the webby address: http://www.fraps.com/

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

With nearly every other program, pressing the PrintScreen key creates a copy of the screen in the clipboard, ready to be pasted into another program of your choice.

Trainz is different. In Trainz, pressing the PrintScreen key creates a TGA image file in the C:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2004\ScreenShots folder (etc). This system, while non-standard, has the considerable advantage that more than one screenshot can be created.

After closing Trainz, then as others have said the TGA files can be opened in an image utility program such as IrfanView, where they can be converted to JPG, cropped, and otherwise adjusted.

John

Hi guys.

The advantage using Fraps, it take pictures in .jpeg format what take less space on the HD. If you are like me, i take so much pictures that my pictures folder contains 6800 screenshots of all my sims. Using bigger format than jpeg may fill up your HD very quickly.

Recently I registred Fraps and now I'm recording lot of nice videos. Its really fun whatching them in for all my games. When I want to show a trick in Surveyor, I record it and send it to my friend. Its much better than just a picture.

Andre.

Hi All,
Just to add to the proceeding advice.

If you find your photo's are taking up too much HD space you can upload them to one of the many Web Storage facilities now available.
I beleive its called 'Cloud Computing'

I have just downloaded 'Picasa 3' for this purpose. Link through Google.

Cheers
Pete.

Last edited:
Cloud Computing......hmmmmm, after reading quite a bit about this in media and corporation circles, there's too many cons than pros on this subject, so don't get sucked in by all the hype until you've read all the blurb. And, as I have over 160 gigs of PC memory plus you can open as many free accounts as you wish on the likes of photobucket and imageshack for your screenshots and photographs, I don't think I'll be using this new system.......

ex. :wave:

Cloud Computing......hmmmmm, after reading quite a bit about this in media and corporation circles, there's too many cons than pros on this subject, so don't get sucked in by all the hype until you've read all the blurb. And, as I have over 160 gigs of PC memory plus you can open as many free accounts as you wish on the likes of photobucket and imageshack for your screenshots and photographs, I don't think I'll be using this new system.......

ex. :wave:

Hi Ex,
Not 100% sure, but I think photobucket and imageshack come under the same heading.
From what I've read 'Cloud Computing' is a term describing on-line storage.
Although, MS and Google are investigating on-line OS's which will also come under the cloud blanket.

Cheers
Pete :wave:

Go and have a look on the web Pete, this is just one of dozens of various articles about it. http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/30/stallman-warns-against-cloud

You might be right about photobucket and imageshack, but they are free to use for the basic package, but, for this cloud computing malarkey, you're going to have to put your hand in your wallet.....

Cheerz. ex.

Hi Ex,
Thanks for that matey, An eye opener indeed.
I have thought of the security issues, hackers Etc.
It don't matter what security, firewalls they have. If a hacker is determined, they'll get in.
There's also the question of viruses, sounds like a perfect breeding ground.
Picasa 3 is just a free photo storage facility, I guess its similar to photobucket, imageshack Etc, and I don't intend to go any further into the cloud.
It will be interesting to see where this new trend goes (I was surprised to learn from your link, its been around for about 10 years ??).
I only suggested it for users who have limited storage, although there are alternatives around.
Thanks again
Cheers
Pete.

Hi guys.

I did a test taking a screenshot by pressing print screen within Trainz. WOW, this take VERY LARGE picture size at 5 mb each. Usually in flight simulator, picture size are 3 mb in bmp format what is still too large. So imagine capturing more than 1000 pictures in Trainz at 5 mb each !!! You will need a big HD just for your screenshots.

Fraps is taking pictures in jpeg format and the size is usually less than 500 kb what is very very good. As Fraps is free, use this one to take your pictures and you can even make some short 15 seconds videos...

Andre.

Back