Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

And the small steam too!

b42f2ed45faa4f124a7a4fda098c907c.jpg

d8dafe7fd1920be003fa1ff1296163bb.jpg

4d37444159fd97f06326a2d3964809b5.jpg

They did, not successful though. It suffered from the same problems as the triplex design, not enough steam could be generated to meet its requirements, and it was slow and maintenance intensive. I always felt that if these large articulated designs had come in near the end of the steam era, with advancements like superheating to improve steaming capabilities and more resilient materials for higher boiler pressures they might have been more successful.

Heres some more info on them:

00839f7ca848fb5c82485e9c1cbee6ee.jpg

I've been doing a bit more reading about the 2-10-10-2 and the Virginian Railway, turns out that the Virginian was known as a Slow Drag railroad and the 2-10-10-2 was a good match for this mode of operation.

15 mph from the coal mines of West Virginia to Norfolk, VA., that is a slow drag.

I've been doing a bit more reading about the 2-10-10-2 and the Virginian Railway, turns out that the Virginian was known as a Slow Drag railroad and the 2-10-10-2 was a good match for this mode of operation.

15 mph from the coal mines of West Virginia to Norfolk, VA., that is a slow drag.

Norm, was 15mph the oval average speed?

Regards,

I read somewhere any faster then about 20 mph and the tremendous amount of weight in reciprocating motion would tear the track up plus the 4 ft diameter front LP cylinders also limited speed.

Back then the ruling criteria for RR's to move as many cars as possible with a single loco - speed was not a consideration except for passenger service.

I have to agree with daylightrain that waiting until the mid 30's and more modern technology might have gone a long way to making these giants more successful (tho they did what they were designed to do).

Still ya gotta love em.

Ben

Back