Sound card recomendations

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
I have been forced to accept that I need a new sound card. I will gladly welcome recommendations.

I have a slot for PCI-express 16, one for PCI express 4 and one PCI.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

I'm running an older Hercules (Guillimot) Fortissimo III - it's in a standard PCI slot.

It seems to work well with lots of applications (including Trainz, Morrowwind and Oblivion).
I would suggest you look for something similar - the latest sound blasters are getting good reviews, but I don't think you need that level of sophistication/cost for Trainz....

(the Fortissimo is capable of delivering 7.1 speaker system - though you'd really need a decent amplifier for top quality surround sound).

Make sure that the drivers are available for your OS before you buy! - may also be worth checking that it's sound blaster compatible

You should also check the power requirements!

Since most of the cards have their own processor, you shouldn't need a super fast bus - the instructions are sent to the sound processor - not all the data. That's the big saving on bus loading.

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks, guys, it seems that there is only one 'best' option. That card is $AU 230 in Oz and I will be honest when I say that the current steam sounds are not worth that much. I think I will wait until TC3 and see how the promised improvements pan out.

In the mean time I'll go back to my silent running. Sounds like a submarine.

Thanks again

Cheers

Peter

Back