Some general questions...

TheWizardOfOz

I'm building a rather large route, and have run into a couple of stumbling blocks that I could use a hand with.

1. Is it possible to control what kind of weather is happening when a user's train (not AI) passes into a certain area. For instance, there is one area on my route that is all snowy, and I would like snow to gradually start falling heavier & heavier as the train enters the area ... and then gradually taper-off. Same with rain, etc.

2. Maybe it is just my PC, but it seems to me that the biggest hit to FPS that I experience is trains themselves. I can have a route that is 250 baseboards long, and with just 1 train on it everything runs fine. But if I add several more trains, even if they are a hundred miles apart & in no way visible to each other, the FPS drops dramatically ... any tips on running multiple trains whilst keeping a good FPS?

Thank you all in advance for any tips you can give me! =)

Dang, that's just about what I'm looking for ... but I'm wary of anything that isn't on the DLS, because when I upload my route someday it'll all be messed-up.

I'll keep it in mind though - so thank you!

2. Maybe it is just my PC, but it seems to me that the biggest hit to FPS that I experience is trains themselves. I can have a route that is 250 baseboards long, and with just 1 train on it everything runs fine. But if I add several more trains, even if they are a hundred miles apart & in no way visible to each other, the FPS drops dramatically ... any tips on running multiple trains whilst keeping a good FPS?

The overall size of the route makes very little difference as it is loaded into memory on a 'as needed' basis as you move around hence all the hdd activity, where as the trains will need keeping track of (signaling, scripting, loading/unloading etc.) and working out their individual physics no matter where they are, the only difference when a train is out of sight is that it is not rendered.

Cheers David

...I add several more trains, even if they are a hundred miles apart & in no way visible to each other, the FPS drops dramatically ... any tips on running multiple trains whilst keeping a good FPS?

I've used SCS2006. See Trainz Pro Routes (sorry, link not working just now - try a google search.) SCS2006 is on DLS. It enables you to create a scenario, rather than a session. Its the only way I know to manually drive a train, but set up routes for it in advance.
It also allows the generation and placing of trains whilst running. For example you can be manually driving your train approaching a junction. Just before you reach the junction , the system can generate a train, you will see that train cross the junction in front of you, the signal will clear and you will carry on your way. The second train can now be deleted.
This means that your system will only ever need to run 2 (or maybe 3) trains at once, but you can actually see dozens of different ones during a journey! It needs a bit (a lot actually!) of setting up, but gives great results.
Does this help?

Keep the number of Trains to a minimum...

The problem is that the CPU is having to work out all the physics, rules and listen for triggers for all the trains on the route and not just the one that you may be observing/driving. The more trains, the more the CPU has to devote to this one activity and less time that can be spent on checking if the graphics card has done it's job right.

Note to Auran!!!
This is why we now need multiple processor support in future versions of TRS as one core (or more cores) could be told to concentrate on physics while the other core(s) could be told to work on keeping the data flowing to the graphics card. Multi-processor support is here... Are you going to rise up and grab this one by the horns or just let it slip by? It would be incredibly sad if you miss the train on this one.

regards

Harry

This has certainly given me answers, and something to work with ... I think I just may have to be creative on the weather issue. Thank you all for your answers! =)

Weather control

There are two rules built in too TR2006, which when used together can control the weather the way you want. The 1st one you need is "Check Trackside" You use this to set up what train will control the weather and at what point. The 2nd rule is "weather". Place this as the child rule and sellect "snow light, medium, heavy, or a combination. ;)

Back