SketchUp will not export textures.

gt350

Been working with Sketchup 2017 and things were going fine until now. If I make a model and export to trainz none of the texture files come with it. Up till yesterday this was not an issue. Models show in trainz with no textures. Is there something I turned off to make this happen. Also is there a exporter for Sketchup 2021?
Thanks
Chuck

Maybe it's the RUBY script?

If it persists. See if you can get a copy of 2019. I use it everyday, texture export through RUBYTMIX works great :)

Rico

2019 free version no longer available. You might be right. I just going to uninstall and reinstall both.

Did uninstall and reinstall of 2017 and rubytmix did not work same issue. 2019 no longer available.

So I downloaded 2020 pro same issue but I did a little more research and found out if I use the color palate in Sketchup textures will not export. If use say landscape materials it work fine. Apparently the issue is with the built in colors.

So I downloaded 2020 pro same issue but I did a little more research and found out if I use the color palate in Sketchup textures will not export. If use say landscape materials it work fine. Apparently the issue is with the built in colors.

Ahhhh, Well, yes. That would explain things. LOL.

The colors categories, in the materials palette, are in app shaders only.

They are for visualization, and for use in any SU model image you produce for a client, school project etc etc. You do need to use an imported image for texturing any surface on a 3D model you intend to export to Trainz, or any other 3D app.

There are some actual menu materials that will export, but they are actually images. In the highlighted sub-menus in the materials palette. I suggest NOT using any of them, as most are very low end quality, for use in Trainz

image.png

In the "In Model" palette is where you will see any imported images used in texturing your model:

SUPalettes.png

Rico

Last edited:
Thanks I knew it did not work but did not know the reason. My latest issue is adding color to text. Shows up in trainz with no texture.

Thanks I knew it did not work but did not know the reason. My latest issue is adding color to text. Shows up in trainz with no texture.

I assume you mean text in a sign?

What I do, is construct the sign face, apply a color shader, then select the face, right clik, make unique texture, select that new texture.

Then re-name it "sign" or similar, clik the edit tab in the materials menu, then to the right of the folder icon, in the texture section, choose "edit in external editor", which will open the image in your image editor of choice.
You can pick the default app to open for this task in Sketchup Window menu, preferences, in the Applications section.

There I make my sign (photoshop) using the text tools, or by using an image and scaling/sizing to fit the face.
Save, and it will appear in the materials palette, and replace the colored unique image on the sign face in the SU window

This way you can make any sign or text you may ever need ;)

If a sign will have a frame around it, (like the Laurium sign and the two big signs in the pic below) make the texture face large enough so that when you come back from your image editor to apply it, the added image area can be used to texture the sign frame.

Rico

Examples:

image.png

Thanks for the information something I will try make sense. I did resolve my text issue. I wasn't exploding the text enough. Your way sounds like there is a lot more options.
\

Back