silicates factory

neilsmith749

I'm working on the toronto mainline as a prototypical layout, and I'm trying to get as many of the industries as accurate as possible, with the information that I can find.

What I'm wondering: There is a factory in western Toronto called NATIONAL SILICATES, and there are three sidings, which see tankers and covered hoppers. Does anyone know what commodities a factory like this would be using and producing?

Any help would be greatly welcomed!

thanks

n

I'm working on the toronto mainline as a prototypical layout, and I'm trying to get as many of the industries as accurate as possible, with the information that I can find.

What I'm wondering: There is a factory in western Toronto called NATIONAL SILICATES, and there are three sidings, which see tankers and covered hoppers. Does anyone know what commodities a factory like this would be using and producing?

Any help would be greatly welcomed!

thanks

Hi Neil..........From Google.........

National Silicates Ltd. (NSL) is a wholly owned Canadian
subsidiary of The PQ Corporation. The PQ Corporation in
conjunction with its affiliates is the world's largest producer
of sodium and potassium silicates with manufacturing facilities
in 17 countries on five continents.

Our products are available in a variety of forms: liquids,
powders, solids, and alkaline crystals known as metasilicates,
that serve a growing number of customer needs. NSL and The PQ
Corporation also produce magnesium sulphate, commonly known as
epsom salt, available as liquid and crystalline products.

n

Hope this helps:wave:

Hey

Thanks a lot!

It's funny, at the same time you posted it, I did the usual google search and found the same thing! Guess I should have googled first! Thanks again though for your suggestion.

The only problem is that for 2004, there are no silicate products, so I had to use Potassium Hydroxide instead of the proper Potassium Silicate. Hopefully people will forgive this substitution!

n

Hey

Thanks a lot!

It's funny, at the same time you posted it, I did the usual google search and found the same thing! Guess I should have googled first! Thanks again though for your suggestion.

The only problem is that for 2004, there are no silicate products, so I had to use Potassium Hydroxide instead of the proper Potassium Silicate. Hopefully people will forgive this substitution!

n

You are very welcome. I will welcome it. The substitution would not faze me one bit. Good luck on your progress....:wave:

OH well Potassium Hydroxide Cleans Dishes....

Oh well Potassium Hydroxide is used in industrial dish washers.:eek:

For information on both Potassium and Sodium silicates, see Wikipedia.

Though since the product is loaded into hoppers and tank cars no one will see the product anyway, at least not the way they would in a hopper, or on a flat car, even so, look at this as an opportunity to learn to make a product.

And if you're wanting to backdate your route, keep in mind that in years past, they probably shipped in box cars, but there again, you ordinarily would not have seen the product.

ns

Back