Show your models!

I got these for Christmas and my Birthday. (January 5th)
photo%201_zps8wypflv8.jpg
photo%202_zpscqc5o9y7.jpg
photo%203_zps4l3rgzsc.jpg
photo%204_zps51qprnzs.jpg

I got the SW1500, CSX hopper, and tank car for Christmas, and the UP hopper for my birthday. Sorry for the bad image quality, I took these pictures on my phone.

Plus, what is the recommended way to do weathering? (Try listing something that does not involve spray paint or taking a far trip to my hobby shop)

Plus, what is the recommended way to do weathering? (Try listing something that does not involve spray paint or taking a far trip to my hobby shop)

I do a lite wash with watered down acrylics. Not the best but works ok. How ever, to get any thing good, you'll need weathering calks, air brush, and other paints.

In other news, guess who has to take a drug test...

IMG_9829_zpswgdxpoai.jpg

I had a north bound pick the points at South Novi as 4900 was heading south on a power move. Moved 4900 all the way back to the free way.

I do a lite wash with watered down acrylics. Not the best but works ok. How ever, to get any thing good, you'll need weathering calks, air brush, and other paints.

In other news, guess who has to take a drug test...

I had a north bound pick the points at South Novi as 4900 was heading south on a power move. Moved 4900 all the way back to the free way.

I can use acrylic paints? well I only have acrylic paint at my house.

CPrailSd40-2, you can make chalk dust by rubbing sandpaper on chalk, then you can dust it onto your equipment with a paintbrush. I think you put varnish over it to lock down the weathering, but I am not sure.

I swear by oil paint and chalk for weathering. You can get good results with acrylics, but I always found it was difficult to avoid the occasional water stain. Sort of like a giant fingerprint, only showing that acrylics were used for the weathering.

Just saying personally I think my weathering sucks

I swear by oil paint and chalk for weathering. You can get good results with acrylics, but I always found it was difficult to avoid the occasional water stain. Sort of like a giant fingerprint, only showing that acrylics were used for the weathering.

You might find this website and free newsletter helpful.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine

They have some nice stuff in here.

John

Good to know that.

CPrailSd40-2, you can make chalk dust by rubbing sandpaper on chalk, then you can dust it onto your equipment with a paintbrush. I think you put varnish over it to lock down the weathering, but I am not sure.

I see, it might just be me, but I have never saw any other chalk colours other than the "rainbow" colours and white.

You might find this website and free newsletter helpful.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine

They have some nice stuff in here.

John

Thanks

I see, it might just be me, but I have never saw any other chalk colours other than the "rainbow" colours and white.

There are some made by Bragdon that I see people use a lot, which include a binder in the powder itself. The advantage there is that you don't need to spray a clear coat to seal your chalks. Otherwise, depending on the clear you use, it may absorb some of the chalk and mean that you need to re-apply some chalk and re-seal in order to return it to the previous appearance. Testors Dullcote does this. I personally only use acrylics for my actual painting and clear-coating, and as I said earlier oils and chalk for weathering. This way, the thinners I use for each have no chance of causing unintended harm to other layers.

The chalks I use are one of the rainbow sets given to me by my middle school art teacher, purely because I have them :D. Of course, the browns and blacks get the most use.

Last edited:
I agree with you Adam. Oil paints are very hard to get good results with. I recommend try your tenquies on older cars you do not run, to get better. Take a look at my website www.shenandoahvalleymodels.webs.com , I have pictures of my work on there as well as stuff for sale.

One thing for chalks. Make sure there are NO fingerprints on the model and that the model is clean. Otherwise the oil in your fingers will cling to the powders. Also always wear gloves when weathering.

Cheers,
Jackson

There are some made by Bragdon that I see people use a lot, which include a binder in the powder itself. The advantage there is that you don't need to spray a clear coat to seal your chalks. Otherwise, depending on the clear you use, it may absorb some of the chalk and mean that you need to re-apply some chalk and re-seal in order to return it to the previous appearance. Testors Dullcote does this. I personally only use acrylics for my actual painting and clear-coating, and as I said earlier oils and chalk for weathering. This way, the thinners I use for each have no chance of causing unintended harm to other layers.

The chalks I use are one of the rainbow sets given to me by my middle school art teacher, purely because I have them :D. Of course, the browns and blacks get the most use.

Oh I see, but my question is, can you flat out just use acrylic paint and some brushes for weathering? or do you need a ton of other tools with it? If I only need the paint and the brushes I am going to straight out try it on some cars and engines

Ye, sort of. Not the best but if you water them down you can make a light wash. And that can look okish.

This car here is just black paint mixed with water. About 40/60 mix with more water than paint. I then used a bush to put it on heavy, and paper towel to smear it down the sides and remove some. Gives it a grimy used look.

IMG_9985_zpscpeilm38.jpg

Ye, sort of. Not the best but if you water them down you can make a light wash. And that can look okish.

This car here is just black paint mixed with water. About 40/60 mix with more water than paint. I then used a bush to put it on heavy, and paper towel to smear it down the sides and remove some. Gives it a grimy used look.

Thanks for the inspiration

Back