Show off your reskins!

I'm officially declaring this junk done. I know the number board are in the wrong place and stuff but I don't care, I think it looks nice :)

And, no, there is nothing wrong with the ditch lights, it's just the way they're textured.

How did you repaint the SW1500's? Whenever I try the file is transparent and removing the alpha channel doesn't help. I assume you use GIMP?

I would assume that is the case. As for repainting the units, while I don't have the JR SW1500's to know for sure, I'm pretty sure the method of skinning the locomotive by making a blank from its alpha channel is still effective. I could explain it here but that would be a little harder to do, instead I'm going to point you in the direction of bentrain14's youtube page, as he has a ready made tutorial that'll walk you through making a blank for almost any JR locomotive, at least the older ones, the newer models have something with their bump map that makes everything all splotchy. With those you'll have to redraw by hand.

The only way to get a good looking skin, anyway.

Very true, however also substantially more time consuming. All depends on how much effort he wants to put into his skin. Redrawing everything to get the sharpest lines possible will make the skin look better, but it is not a fast process by any stretch of the imagination. Using the alpha map will get you a usable blank in at most a few minutes, but a lot of the texture work will not be as sharp or on some units not line up all together, or will have pieces missing (basically every JR GP unit is this way). Just up to you

Definitely all the details, but I don't really know how you'd copy weathering and get it to look good because of the details. Sometimes I've used upwards of 20 weathering layers.

Last edited:
Just redraw the details as sim train said, namely the doors, rivets, panels, hinges, etc. Weathering isn't really something you can copy over unless you want to do it pixel by pixel. Weathering is really a whole other art form of its own

Back