Setting up Windows 8 computers, what to do?

StorkNest

Stop that, its just silly
So now I am setting up these 2 Win 8 computers and trying to get mandatory things done. I am looking for a list of mandatory things I need to get done. So far, I have done these:

1 - Connected to router, need to call computer company about wireless devices built-in to computers to check if they are using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connection since the router 5Ghz SSID did not show up on wireless devices list in range.
2 - Got all Windows updates, I think I have them set up to get updates automatically. Not sure how new updates are informed to users or if they just add them when a computer gets shutdown.
3 - Got updates for a bunch of built-in 'apps' though I cannot stand how this Windows does not tell when that is finished.
4 - Got updates on a Backup & Recovery built-in program.

Things I am considering:

5 - Creating CDs that allow restoring to factory settings in the event of an extreme emergency.
6 - Changing settings for creating Backups & Restore Points.
7 - Finding Disk Defragmenter, seems I use the Search feature to find anything since this Windows is so different than XP / Vista that I am used to.
8 - There is a built-in bundle of pregrams from McAfee for Firewall, Anti-Virus, Malware but it only lasts a month. Debating when I should switch to Windows Firewall, get Microsoft Security Essentials, adding Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & CCleaner to run automatically.
9 - Anything worth considering I forget.

I want to do all needed safety, protection and needed things before getting into tranferring from old computers to new ones files, contacts, emails, bookmarks, adding programs, etc.
Any thoughts on on the above list? Thanks, been 7 years since I did things like this going from an old computer to a new one.
Jeez, copying ad posting from Notepad into this message box was strangely hard.

Windows 8.1 will allow you to use the same store-apps on your other computer. Once you configure one machine, you can then login using the same credentials into the other machine, and during setup you'll be asked if you want to download and install the same apps from the store.

You also need to keep in mind that MS wants you to put all your documents up on the cloud on their OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive). When setting up your PC, when you get those yes, no questions with the switches, There's a question in the list about saving your documents to SkyDrive or not. I chose to put stuff local and use my OneDrive for pictures and music files.

The repair disks work as I found out recently. It's a good idea to make them.

With Windows 8.1, you can automatically boot right to the desktop. What I've done so I have my commonly used applications handy, and so I don't have to dig through that awful start menu-thing, is create a Desktop Apps folder. In there I put my Trainz short-cuts, and other things. To get the short cuts, click on the down arrow icon. This brings up all the apps. Right click on one of the icons for the applications, and choose open up file location. This will open up an explorer window where the shortcut is located. You can then copy the shortcut to your desktop and then move it to an apps folder if you want.

The actual path is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

John

Rather than installing any Trainz versions you have from scratch, you can just backup each to a removable media such as a DVD or maybe a thumbdrive if they have the capacity. Just a simple copy will do. You will need to recreate shortcuts on the new machine but they are simple.

If your new machines have SSDs then Disk Defragmenters are not recommended for those.

The excitement of having a new, and probably faster, PC is somewhat diminished by the huge amount of work required to get it to a state similar to what you had before. :eek:

The repair disks work as I found out recently. It's a good idea to make them.

Interesting, the repair disk asked for a USB drive, not CD.

The excitement of having a new, and probably faster, PC is somewhat diminished by the huge amount of work required to get it to a state similar to what you had before. :eek:

Tell me about it, so far it is messing up my posting here in addition to the work involved setting it up! Smilies are not working, Copy & Paste not working, keyboard seems to miss some keystrokes.

16 GB USB is perfect size. CD is ridiculously too small in comparison for today's standards. Unfortunately, that is progression of technology... :(

If your new machines have SSDs then Disk Defragmenters are not recommended for those.
I don't want to revive a dead thread, but I wanted to clarify for possible future readers that running defrag with Windows 8 + when using a solid state simply runs the TRIM command to clean up the drive.
Standard defragging is not performed.

Interesting, the repair disk asked for a USB drive, not CD.

Tell me about it, so far it is messing up my posting here in addition to the work involved setting it up! Smilies are not working, Copy & Paste not working, keyboard seems to miss some keystrokes.

I was able to use a DVD to create a repair disk for Win 8.1. My Dell XPS-18, which does not have a DVD required a USB device. I used a 16GB unit for that.

-----

I use an external hard drive, and multiple internal drives. In fact I keep my complete TS12 install on a separate drive with my documents folder, which I had to map over there. With this setup, I am able to install the OS quickly and then reconfigure the folders which are normally placed on the C: drive under Users\your-login\. Once I configure these folders, I then remove the old locations from Libraries to ensure they are not an option to save to.

John

Back