Seeking clarification on discussion of other sims

atsfrr3000

Okay, I think it's about time to end the ambiguity and uncertainty around here about discussing other sims.

Over the past few weeks, we've seen threads opened about other sims, and quickly filled with people telling them that this is the Trainz forums and that discussion of other sims should be taken elsewhere. Lately the moderators have also taken this stance, going so far as to lock non-Trainz threads, quoting the above reasons as the purpose behind the locks.

These actions, however, seem to directly contradict one of the stated purposes of this particular forum (Prototype Talk), as posted by Lance in the "What to post?" thread:

Whether it be news of a new locomotive in the making, a fallen flag revival, railfan outings or new train related software, post it here to share with the community.

Therefore, I am requesting that someone from Auran who is directly responsible for these forums clarify once and for all what the stance is on discussing other sims. Furthermore, to prevent future ambiguity, I would like to request that said stance be edited into the "What to post?" thread, so as to make sure that everyone knows what this stance is.

Although I have nothing at all against our moderators, I am not asking a moderator to answer this question, but someone from Auran who actually owns these forums. The moderators are, after all, volunteers, and not actually employed by Auran, nor are they their spokespersons (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Thank you for your time.

Atsfrr is right

Atsffr is right: Here is the link to the quote.

According to the link & quote above people ARE allowed to talk about new train software on this forum. Atsffr, I think their only three people now that could really be staff members of what use to be Auran.

But I think the problem MAY come from people debating about what train simulator is better.

But I think the problem MAY come from people debating about what train simulator is better.

Thats exactly what the problem is. Also it doesn't help that when somebody does start a thread about another train sim, that hardcore Auranites immediately tear it down. Although I have to admit some of that might be caused by others tearing down trainz. Its a kind of retaliation thing I guess.

Point in the matter is...Its a game!!!

Enjoy

This isn"t an important issue,and not woth starting another thread .People who use the other sims are by definition a minority here, and when a thread is started the same old arguments are thrashed out, then the thread fades away through lack of interest.Why worry?

This isn"t an important issue,and not woth starting another thread .People who use the other sims are by definition a minority here, and when a thread is started the same old arguments are thrashed out, then the thread fades away through lack of interest.Why worry?

I think you missed what the thread is about, the OP just asked for clarification on a point, that being whether discussing other rail sims is allowed or not, as lately they have been locked despite the fact that the "What to post" thread states that you can discuss it.
It doesn't matter what side you are on, it clearly states that you can, so you should be able to and the threads only locked for breaches of the CoC.

@ atsfrr3000, silly time to post it mate, as Auran are closed for the looooong weekend called easter :hehe:

Cheers David (who wonders how long it will be before this is locked for discussing the mods behavior) :D

Well there are several threads on other sims here so it clearly IS allowed.If it wasn"t allowed the other threads would have been deleted, instead of which (as I said) they simply fade away.I once started a thread called "Real Railway Photograpshs" and after 12 hours it was on about its 12th page.Although theres nothing illegal about it, it was deleted.So there you go.

This really surprises you ?

You can't even get a good thread on previous versions of Trainz without it being locked, removed, etc. Case in point, the thread "The Trainz 2004 Club."

This really surprises you ?

You can't even get a good thread on previous versions of Trainz without it being locked, removed, etc. Case in point, the thread "The Trainz 2004 Club."

Perhaps because it got too combative toward the later versions of the game? I really don't know, just a hypothesis.

It seems that in some cases, this trainz forum does what the KRS guys do on their forum. Then again, this is the official company run forum for the game, as is the case with KRS, MSTS or whatever game. Alot of it does seem to stem from moderator's own opinions on things and interpretations. Whether you agree with them or not, is your own prerogative, but in the end, they are the moderators, the decision is theirs and theirs alone.

No expert here but from what I hear we're the friendliest forum around. :) Oh wait I'm just a Moderator here so I'm not requested to post.

Cheers

AJ

I don't have an issue with discussing other sims, as long as the main focus remains with Trainz and the discussion remains civil.

What really gets up my nose are the "How do I ...... in MSTS" posts. As far as I'm concerned, each and every post along those lines should get an immediate "Post on the relevant forum" reply and be closed.

Here's how you know who's boss....

8) May be you got confused by Third p\Party Website & Support Forums, and noticed how Auran TrainzRailroad Simulator, Microsoft Train Simulator, Rail Simulator, each have their own Forum, Section.

Auran, has a forum About The Product, and allows, for discussions that may include other products, and I'm cool with that.

That, is the best reason to include topics that may mention other products, to keep development Stimulated.

MSTS, is no longer supported by it's parent company. MSTSII, hasn't been released...yet.

RailSimulator, is an interesting product, just recently released. RS has several years to go, before the third party content could qualify to attempt to turn RS, into a CollectorsItem-Status=0/default, for...

Planet Auran, has created the Mother of ALL_ihobby_Shops!

Last edited:
I think atsfrr3000 has made a valid point on this subject, which is worthy of a suitable response, HOWEVER,

In the Auran Code of Conduct, it quite clearly states the following :-

12. Flooding the forums and chat with redundant messages, empty messages, advertisements, clearly irrelevant “+1 Post Count” messages, and/or nonsensical messages.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to the interpretation of what is discussion, and what is blatant advertising of other simulators' products. I personally think that Lance made a rod for his own back in allowing Auran community members to openly and freely post screenshots and opinions of other sims currently on the market, which may upset loyal Auranites, because I think it definately has, although at the time he said it (June 2007) was with the best of intentions.
Unfortunately, the other forums associated with these products do not allow stiff and possible derogatory comments about the competition, and I can only think that as nearly all these "other" simulator customers, were once Auranites in the past, think that they can get away with posting stuff on this forum, as they thought the rest of us wouldn't mind.

I would agree with crman123's comments
"quote - it doesn't help that when somebody does start a thread about another train sim, that hardcore Auranites immediately tear it down. Although I have to admit some of that might be caused by others tearing down trainz. Its a kind of retaliation thing I guess."

I personally, have no objection to other simulator products on the market, as others have said it's business competition, but I feel that the wording and aggressive way that some people have posted stuff on here has ruffled a lot of feathers, as to whether that was the sole purpose, or just naivety, is also open to interpretation.

Cheerz. ex.

Last edited:
You know, atfsrr3000, I've wondered about that too. More so since you and I have seemed to really engage in discussion within these "forgein sim" threads. I always thought that if it were against Auran policy, we would have gotten in trouble already (or maybe Auran is happy that another sim, other than Trainz, is being ripped to shreads in this forum :hehe: )

I must compliment the majority of this forum. Without going out and actually purchasing the product I can get some, slightly biased, reactions to it here in this forum. And most of the members here either don't care or don't mind the discussions about other sims. Maybe the Trianz Forums are becoming the "UN of Train Simulators"? Hmm, that would be a rather fancy title for Auran...

I think atsfrr3000 has made a valid point on this subject, which is worthy of a suitable response, HOWEVER,

In the Auran Code of Conduct, it quite clearly states the following :-

12. Flooding the forums and chat with redundant messages, empty messages, advertisements, clearly irrelevant “+1 Post Count” messages, and/or nonsensical messages.

Which in point the folks at Auran have clearly chosen to disregard. Why else would the " Ignore this post.....just testing forum software" still be going ? Or even started to begin with. You can go through these forums and find 100s of threads that fall into that part of the COC. If you want to go into it a little deeper, you can put almost eveything that is listed in the freeware forum under this rule as they are none other than advertisements.
What it boils down to is that this is Aurans forums and they will make the rules and break them as they see fit. Whilst I have never had any real problems with any of the moderators, they interpret things differently. If many of our views are different than Auran's or theirs, the threads get locked or disappear.
So to that I say post away...........it'll either get deleted and/or locked or it will continue.

No expert here but from what I hear we're the friendliest forum around. :) Oh wait I'm just a Moderator here so I'm not requested to post.

Cheers

AJ

AJ,

Never said you were banished from this thread :hehe: I just wanted to hear the end-all answer concretely from someone at Auran, your input on the matter at hand is valued too :)

Back