Screenshot of The Week: May 17 to May 24 2015 (Throwback)

GWR Broadgauge Throwback

You really can't "throwback" much further than to this GWR Broadgauge scene.

The top-hatted signalman in the foreground is giving the "all clear" to the nearest train (arm horizontal for "proceed" and vertical for "stop"). The drivers (of the passenger trains) have top hats too.

Notice the carriages (one horseless and one to be drawn by horses) on flat wagons in the goods train in the distance, right behind the horse box.
GWR_Broadgauge_Throwback.jpg

Here's a throwback to Conrail power being common on class one railroads, for real switchers to work locals, and to chrisracer8903's route 'Conrail Lincoln Secondary.'

d7a3c1c7105abdb1f9bb7bfad1d5e92a.png

Last edited:
A Streamlined Ka class steams through the drought ridden countryside. Many of the local folks had their fingers crossed in hoping no sparks from the loco would start a fire.
The loco had it's final paying service run in 1967 (wiki)

The diesels gradually replaced the loco's - especially the DA Class (wiki)

Submissions are now closed. There are 20 entries for this round so up to 3 votes are allowed. Voting will be from now until May 31, 1200nn UTC. Please post your votes below.

Why so few votes, when they're all so good?

My votes:
iannz - Nice to see steam specials on the main line
trainboi1 - Nice ol' timer!
ARhian7 - Makes you mouth dry to look at it!

Honourable mentions:
pdkoester - Dramatic!
nicky9499 - Really good hot, dirty & run-down scene

Voting is now closed. Thank you all for participating.

4 iannz
4 enzo1
2 petrama25
2 pdkoester
2 nicky9499
2 trainboi01
1 arhian7
1 210009222
1 trainboi1
1 montanawestren
1 captainkman

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Wow, thanks for the votes guys, what an honor. Congrats Enzo1 to, a fine shot indeed :)
Thank you Iannz, you had a awesome shot yourself. That shot was hard to compete with, and I threw one out there that I knew was going to give a run for the money! Thanks to all who looked and voted! :)

Back