Rope worked inclines

steviez

retired railwayman
I am currently starting out on a real route which when the line was open included a rope worked incline powered by a static steam beam engine

My question is has anyone attempted anything similar or is it even possible considering the line has track and a steam engine albeit static?
please see below for an idea of what i mean

http://www.peaklandheritage.org.uk/gallery/chpr3.jpg

any help or advice appreciated

Thank you

You can download Track called "Cableway" from the DLS which has roller sheaves in the middle.Can"t remember the KUID but I found it accidentally while searching for "Cable".If you attach your wagons to a "1 m Spacer " its an Invisible Loco and will give the illusion they are being hauled by rope.My local line (Sunderland -Penshaw) had a 1 in 4 rope worked incline at Ford Works and that worked in Trainz.Hope this helps.

Glad to see you're doing Cromford & High Peak...

How are you doing the terrain heights?
(Can you guess where this is going?)

Is the terrain based on DEM data? Specifically will it match up with my West Nottinghamshire layout if I eventually extend that far westwards? (Sort of linking with Langley Mill - Codnor Park - Swanwick - Butterley - Bull Bridge - Ambergate - Cromford...)

I can knock up fairly quickly the terrain, with basemaps, if you're interested.

Cheers
David

Dave
As you know the route is DEM based so the terrain is correct
i have now found a copy of the gradient profile from Trent jcn right through to Peak Forest i just needto scan it in etc

David Bird
it would be good if you could do the Ambergate-Pye Bridge section based on DEM, since my route literally starts at Ambergate with the South-Northwest angle and the South-Northeast angles done on the former triangular jcn at Ambergate.
Unless you have a very good idea of the route of the branch from Ambergate through to what is now the end of the Midland railway trust line its difficult to trace due to the A38 road and improvements made to the A610 in that area

What would also be good would be the other branch from the Cromford-High Peak at Parsley Hay to Ashbourne via Thorpe Cloud which was not so steeply graded as the CHPR so therefore was not rope worked

Steviez

Last edited:
By Ambergate - Buxton you mean the Peak line?You need the book "Through Limestone Hills" which has all of the track diagrams and gradients.If you phone the Peak Rail shop at Matlock or go to their website I"m sure they can sort you out.

Thanks for that Lewisner
I already have the Foxline books and also "the district controllers view ( No6 The Peak District) which covers most of the details etc but seeing as i go in the Peakrail shop quite a bit now i will look that up.
Thanks also to all those who have pointed me in the right direction re cabled track, if only the cable itself would go round corners as one of the CHPR inclines did.

World's Steepest Incline Plane

I am modeling Johnstown Pennsylvania USA home of the world's steepest incline plane. It was built in 1891 after the great Johnstown flood of 1889. It is still operational today see here:http://www.camtranbus.com/ip.htm

The only problem is no cable cars currently exist that work on incline plane on the dls.:rolleyes:

The problem with inclined planes is that getting the gradient of the plane precise enough for someone to build cars for it is very difficult.
Also, the cars would need modelling uniquely for each incline.

But with rope hauled inclines the problem doesn"t arise because (in the UK at least) Rope Haulage was banned for passenger railways in about the 1850s.The Cliff Lift at Scarborough is Rack and Pinion as far as I know.Incidentally, I walked the old Rosedale Incline from Battersby station (near Whitby) a couple of years ago and I lost about a stone by the time I got to the top! The line closed in 1929 but there are still rotting sleepers in places and a pair of rails marked "Consett 1876".

Last edited:
Scarborough is rope hauled.

In 1910 this was converted to electric drive. In 1932 the cars were replaced and the motor placed under the top station. Control was from a driving position at the top of the station with full view of the cars. For emergency use each car is fitted with a screw on and wedge safety brake which operates on a safety rail down the center of each track and the rail also carries the rollers for the support of the cables.

This site tells all. http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/scar.htm

A shot I took of the Scarborough Lift, as mentioned below.

096scan0097.jpg

Very True Unless the Car has Adjustable Gradient

The problem with inclined planes is that getting the gradient of the plane precise enough for someone to build cars for it is very difficult.
Also, the cars would need modelling uniquely for each incline.

Very True Unless the Car has Adjustable Gradient. Have no idea if it is possible to make a car with adjustable gradient but the content makers are very talanted and creative. I have to assume its not impossible.

hi, just noticed this thread and thought of a working railway museum near where i grew up in gateshead north east england, it is based around the old rope haul line which pulled coal from kibblesworth mines up to springwell which was then taken to shipped elsewhere, here is there site if your interested

http://www.bowesrailway.co.uk/

Very True Unless the Car has Adjustable Gradient. Have no idea if it is possible to make a car with adjustable gradient but the content makers are very talanted and creative. I have to assume its not impossible.

Its much easier to just adapt the gradient in gmax, than to write a script controlled animation, that will allow the user to adjust the gradient.

Back