Rolling stock capacity

WillPac

Willamette Pacific RR
I am at the point now where I am trying to ascertain my car needs for each industry, so none of the businesses along my route run short of needed commodities. I have gone over every business on the line and figured out each one's input and output. This is in itself quite a challenge, as some industries' numbers are based on 20 seconds, others one minute, others three minutes, others still that let you set the time basis, and finally others that don't tell us the time frame.

After getting those numbers into a spreadsheet, I have been marking down the capacity of the various cars I have scattered around my layout (mostly in Brooklyn Yard, but a few lying on sidings), and I have found some rather disconcerting variances and some frightening car requirement possibilities.

Happily boxcars seem normal, with lumber loads between 1 and 3, and general goods load limits of 7-10. But 2-bay covered hoppers range from 27,000 to 60,000, and I am not sure what that unit is. Most covered hoppers have a weight load limit of 286,000 pounds, whether that is a 2-bay hauling bulky cement or a 4-bay Centerflow carrying grain. So what is the Trainz number represent? And why is there a 33,000 range?

Another scary prospect is the reefer (in this case, most of the 40' ice-cooled, as I looked at the four parked at the icing platform in Brooklyn Yard). The unit disparity is for the pallets (apples, oranges, fruit, beer, cheese and butter). Three of the four had the same commodities and same ratings, which was 7 units of any of the mentioned pallets. But one reefer, a smaller 40' Swift Refrigeration car, can hold 130 units of these pallets! Whoa! Okay, the 2-bay hopper has a high mark that is 122% above the low mark. But this reefer is more than 1800% higher than the others! How does one ascertain his rolling stock needs with numbers this far off?

But another concern of the reefer is actually with the first number, the 7 unit limit that most share. I have the Fred Meyer Distribution Center in Clackamas modeled (I work for the corporate office here in Portland, so I felt I had to have them in the layout). They receive all of these palleted foods, plus pallets of canned fruit from the two canneries down south. The industry track used at this warehouse was one that measured input/output in 20-second increments (how many businesses measure this deep?!?) for butter, cheese, beer, frozen OJ and veggies, meat, fish and potatoes, and the lowest number I could use was obviously "1", which is 3 units per minute. That's 180 per hour, for EACH pallet, which means I would need more than 300 reefers for EACH type of pallet every 12-hour period (in fact, the total for just these products, plus the lesser orange, apple, fruit, canned fruit and general goods, would be 3,095 reefers! That's almost 6200 reefers and boxcars every 24 hours.

The deeper I get, the more confused I am about what these numbers mean. Is this DC going to run out of everything? Because there is NO way to meet that kind of demand! Or am I missing something? Does time really matter? Do these numbers really matter? Am I wasting my time trying to make sense of this?

The industry is usually made by someone other than the maker of the roiling stock so mismatches come up. For covered hoppers the unit is liters and the 7 unit is from people copying the the config.txt queue from the first working boxcar. Am I wasting my time trying to make sense of this? mostly yes.

willpac, you have spent a lot of time building your route now spend some time getting the car/wagons to load as much product as your IND will need by changing the con-fig.txt files of the cars. More product per car = less cars to INDs. Some INDs will unload as many cars as it take to fill the IND then the IND recycle and unload the rest of the cars(load as well) Try changing that and see if it help.
Danny5

Just a quick word on Trainz commodity math. The 4BayCflow Burlington CB&Q 86648 LARS,<kuid2:56063:185168:1> has 2 - 4 wheel bogies for a total of 4 axles. At 70000 lb per axle max gives 280000 lb.
The config.txt file for the hopper shows its mass is 21000 kg or 21 metric tons (t). The 2 load queues show a max load of 90000 liters.
Corn,<kuid2:30671:9070990:1> config.txt file shows it has a mass of .721 kg/l. A load of 90000 l of corn will weigh 90000 l x .721 kg/l = 64890 kg.
Adding the tare of 21000 kg gives us a total weight per car of 81890 kg which Trainz will round to 81 t.
Cement,<kuid2:30671:9252390:1> has a mass of 3.12 kg/l. If you loaded 90000 l the total weight would be 280800 kg + 21000 kg = 301800 kg or 301 t. Obviously overloaded so the queue for cement should be adjusted.

Bob

Just a quick word on Trainz commodity math. The 4BayCflow Burlington CB&Q 86648 LARS,<kuid2:56063:185168:1> has 2 - 4 wheel bogies for a total of 4 axles. At 70000 lb per axle max gives 280000 lb.
The config.txt file for the hopper shows its mass is 21000 kg or 21 metric tons (t). The 2 load queues show a max load of 90000 liters.
Cement,<kuid2:30671:9252390:1> has a mass of 3.12 kg/l. If you loaded 90000 l the total weight would be 280800 kg + 21000 kg = 301800 kg or 301 t. Obviously overloaded so the queue for cement should be adjusted.

Bob
I'm at work right now so I can't check those config files, but you say that cement is one of the two loads allowed for that hopper? I'd never put cement in that 4-bay Centerflow, nor would any real railroad. Cement is much too heavy for those long covered hoppers to handle. They are meant for the lighter commodities, such as grain and sugar. I use the stouter 2-bay units for the bulky sand and cement.

And Trainz math is harder to understand than that "new math" they're teaching my kids!

Back