Restarting a drive session from its original state

I have a single route with a single AI session. Somehow I have created a situation where the session seems to be stuck in the "paused" state. I assume this is because I saved a session part way through running it and I accidentally deleted the "start" version of the session.:eek:

I edited the session to move all trains to appropriate start positions, reset the rules, started the session whereupon trains raced off at the speed they were going presumably before the "save session" event. Now I can find no easy way to reset the trains to the beginning of the Driver Setup sequences.

(I hope that makes sense):eek:

Please bail me out if you can.:'(

I ran into the same mess not too long ago!

You must've modified the session and got your AI consists in the "wrong" place and then saved. The session will start paused if you come in from Surveyor.

The reset schedules, or whatever it's called, only puts the schedule back to the beginning and not the consists. There should be an option to reset consists to the beginning to put everything back to where we start.

To get myself back to square one, I restored the session from backup. I first exported my current, broken, session to a cdp just in case things went wrong. Deleted it, and then went to the previous one in the back up and followed the instructions to restore it.

In summary take the .tzarc file of your session - it's only the kuid number :(
Put that file into the edit folder.
Run a quick DBR.

What this will do is restore your session back to normal. I saved my restored session to a cdp file and I called it DO NOT Delete !!!! - followed by the session name.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, John. Without looking (it's bedtime as I write, so I'll pick it up tomorrow) I suspect the backup(s) I have may be in as bad a state because of recent saves. We'll see.

By the way, I didn't expect any type of reset automatically to put the consists physically back to a start position. What I did was to drag each consist back to its "creation" point, according to the Library Schedules. That recreated the original state of the session, but only visually, it seems.

Cheers,
Alan

I have done this and I find, in the morning, I am in trouble. It always was from stopping a session in the middle leaving a train "somewhere". This was simple to fix - delete the train, reinstall at its logical start point, and run the session.

That's what I decided to do having got totally confused by the "backup system". It took a bit of time deleting and reinstalling some 20- odd consists, but it worked.

Sadly, however, I made a small amended later and somehow lost all consists. All I intended to do was to add one speed limit. In some areas Trainz is far from robust.

This is why I have a backed up Don't delete this! file. If I totally mess up the session, I can always restore it back to normal. I have now reverted to editing the old fashioned way so not to get into this mess again.

There's a bit of refinement needed in this process before it works robustly and consistently on the user side of things. In theory it's a great idea, but it's still a bit to icky and prone to errors.

Back