Ram usage

macneil

rout builder
Hey everyone recently I got A Logitech G510 keyboard and was playing with the built in screen and got it to show cpu usage and ram usage at the moment while all I have up is Google chrome while im typing this and content manager and im using up to %51 of ram and cpu usage is usually around %7 then randomly jumps up to around %31 then back down to %7 does this sound normal hear are my specs.

Intel® Core i5-2300 2.80 GHz
8GB DDR3 (4 x 2GB) Memory
1.5TB 5400rpm Hard Drive
ATI HD6570 (1GB) Graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit

I can tell you that Google Chrome frequently uses up to 1GB RAM on mine, so that may be part of the problem. See if using a different browser helps.

Shane

Fairly confident that Chrome is the culprit. Browser tabs do tend to consume a lot of RAM when the quantity of tabs open increases.

Chrome is quite horrible at memory usage. Not only does it gobble up memory up like it's an eat-all-you-can buffet, the usage inexplicably continues to increase the longer the window remains open. That, and each tab is split into it's own process so you can never really quite figure out how much Chrome is using in total. In other news, Chrome has also been in the news recently for guzzling battery life like it's happy hour at the bar. Taking into account that you might be using a laptop (built-in screen), I only have one conclusive suggestion for you:

Stop using Chrome.

Macneil,

Try running Task Manager (right click taskbar and select from popup menu), go to the Processes tab and see what's using what. You can click on the column header to sort the display.

If Chrome is the problem then you could try Firefox as you browser, it's a very powerful tool with loads more facilities than Chrome.

I have 2 instances of Firefox running, 1 with 3 tabs and the other with 1 and memory usage is 250MB (0.25GB).

Chris

Thanks everyone I opened up task manager and found that having google chrome open with no tabs was using 332 mb and now using Firefox again cpu usage is at %1 and ram at %25 and with trainz runing cpu usage was between %28 and %31 and ram was %33.

Cheers

Interesting. I found Chrome and IE11 were almost identical.

Once the pages had opened, I got these results with both browsers having the same 4 web sites open as tabs;

- CPU (0-1%).
- Memory used (1.85 GB compared to 1.50 GB with no browsers open) of 6 GB available.
- Physical memory (30-31%).

So where is this memory hog version of Chrome that everyone says exists? I actually prefer IE11, but the numbers don't seem to support the criticisms of Chrome.

Last edited:
From what I've noticed, most of the memory hog of Chrome is due to how it handles tabs and addons (especially ones like Flash Player).

Shane

Interesting. I found Chrome and IE11 were almost identical.

Once the pages had opened, I got these results with both browsers having the same 4 web sites open as tabs;

- CPU (0-1%).
- Memory used (1.85 GB compared to 1.50 GB with no browsers open) of 6 GB available.
- Physical memory (30-31%).

So where is this memory hog version of Chrome that everyone says exists? I actually prefer IE11, but the numbers don't seem to support the criticisms of Chrome.

Here, help yourself to some numbers.

Please refer to exhibit A:
CZWGgH.png

As you can very obviously see, I have one tab of Chrome open, streaming 128kbps radio channel. And then I have Firefox, with nine tabs open, 3 of which are "intensive" pages (Wix editor: Javascript, Facebook: HTML5, Youtube: Flash).

The cost of all this? Chrome - 800MB, Firefox - 1200MB.

That's not all. Notice I only have one Chrome tab but four more Chrome processes also taking up more memory.
The only reason I stream my radio in a different browser is so that I can control the volume separate from everything else using the mixer. Memory use also doesn't both me because I'm nowhere near the limit and neither does power consumption. However on a laptop where memory may not be easily upgraded and battery life is an issue, Chrome is nonsense.

I'd say the comparison is nonsense without more information. What does Firefox need with one tab open streaming the radio channel?

Paul

Last edited:
Back