Producing railroad trespass PSA, looking for advice/feedback

FLWBStrainman

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this topic, but it's the best location I could find for it. I'm currently in the middle of producing a PSA on the topic of railroad trespassing. I've named it "Stay off the Tracks." I've already begun filming, and the video should be completely edited by late summer/early fall. There are a few things I would like opinions on.

First things first. I am a volunteer at a railroad here in southern Indiana, so I have some experience. I know the power of trains and the dangers that they present. As with my other video projects, I am striving for realism. My team and I will be using several props, including a legitimate body bag, a toe tag, "police line" tape, and a severed arm (for inclusion in the graphic version, see below.)

The video opens as two teenage girls, Hayley and Rachel, are walking down a road. Hayley decides to walk on a railroad track, while Rachel attempts to dissuade her by saying the the tracks are too dangerous. Hayley doesn't listen. She fires up her Ipod, begins sending a slew of text messages on her phone, and walks down the track. Several minutes later, as Rachel is walking down the road, she hears the disturbing sound of a diesel horn blaring constantly for about 10 seconds. As fast as her legs can carry her, she sprints to the track and sees what is left of her best friend. As Rachel screams, we cut to a shot of of an ambulance, lights flashing and siren wailing, followed by multiple shots of the accident. Then we cut to shots of Hayley's funeral and burial.

We will be using a greenscreen, so the actress and the train will never physically be at the same location. Even though it would be possible, I am choosing not to show the actual impact between the train and the girl. I feel this would be too graphic in nature, and would most likely defeat the purpose of doing such a video. I do plan to show some gore, but within limits.

At the current point of time, I'm planning to do an edited "clean" version, with little to no blood/gore, as well as an unedited graphic version, with shots of a severed arm with blood splatter effects on the roadbed, in addition to close-up shots of graphic nature. Both versions will feature close-up shots of her personal effects after the collision. We will be including things such as her damaged shoes, her broken cell phone lying in pieces between the rails, and her Ipod headphone wire lying across the rail, split in half where a wheel flange passed over it.

What are some thoughts on the graphic content? Particularly, the severed arm. I don't want to go too far, but I DO want to scare people to some extent. This will only be in the graphic version, which will have a brief disclaimer at the beginning. Another gory shot I plan to include has large amounts of blood pooling up in her throat and being expelled from her mouth. Do the above shots seem to cross the line for what I'm doing?

The video itself will be 10 to 15 minutes in length; I doubt it would even fall under the category of a PSA due to its length. It ends with Hayley's funeral and burial, with voice-over narration listing a couple of key facts and figures about railroad trespassing. I am really trying to hit home by showing the reactions of Rachel, the best friend. We are including shots of the hearse and funeral procession moving through the cemetery, as well as closing shots of Hayley's casket being lowered into her grave. I have not seen this type of thing in previous PSA's of this nature, so I really don't know what kind of effect it'll have on the audience.

Any suggestions or comments? I know this is a lot of information, but I'm really seeking to leave an impact on the audience(s). I'm hoping that doing a clean version and a graphic version will allow the video to be shown to many different groups/organizations. My thoughts are that by showing the aftermath, such as her body bag lying next to the track, her funeral procession, and her burial, the audience will get more out of it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Personally ... To become a great film maker ... you can edit like Alfred Hithcock did in Psycho. The producer M Night Shaymalan also uses his same techniques, no blood and gore, but it leaves the viewer with mental images of exactly what happened, even though the graphic bloody details were not shown.

You can show the Train rushing headlong, horn blaring, the victim turning, shielding her face, bracing for impact ... a still scene of the horriied faces (victim, the friend in the distance & traincrew), a blinding silver screen flash's... squeeling train emergency brakes ... next are speeding emergency vehicles, then a paramedic crew stuggling along the ballast carring a zipped up body bag ...

The scene is all too common in real life ... what a tragic waste

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I will probably be doing 3 different versions. A 45-60 second spot with no gore, with just the bare basics, similar to what you stated. The girl walking, the train, the ambulance, the body bag, and perhaps a shot of the hearse pulling through the cemetery with the funeral procession.

There will be a full-length clean version, with no gore but extended scenes, as well as a full-length graphic version, with the dismembered arm and blood loss. Also planning a morgue scene with her under a sheet and a tag on her toe. I'll be sending all versions to Operation Lifesaver to get some feedback from them.

I'm doing this primarily for teenagers and young adults... the ones who are most likely to walk on tracks, and the ones who have no idea what a train does when it hits a frail human body.

Thanks for the response. I will probably be doing 3 different versions. A 45-60 second spot with no gore, with just the bare basics, similar to what you stated. The girl walking, the train, the ambulance, the body bag, and perhaps a shot of the hearse pulling through the cemetery with the funeral procession.

There will be a full-length clean version, with no gore but extended scenes, as well as a full-length graphic version, with the dismembered arm and blood loss. Also planning a morgue scene with her under a sheet and a tag on her toe. I'll be sending all versions to Operation Lifesaver to get some feedback from them.

I'm doing this primarily for teenagers and young adults... the ones who are most likely to walk on tracks, and the ones who have no idea what a train does when it hits a frail human body.

I'd still leave out the gore......unless your trying to make the next Saw movie rather then a PSA. PSA, just are not like that. Toe tags are fine, thats fairly easy to do. Lie down under a white sheet in a stainless steel room with no shoes on with a toe tag, simple, easy, not freakishly scary, and effective.

Must I do everything around here?

:eek:

If you would like to associate the actual gore resultant from a train -vs- meat puppet event WITHOUT what you film without going too gory then I suggest the following two methods.

One: When the actress that is NOT walking on the tracks hears the horn, have her startle and drop the viscous, red drink she is carrying. I suggest a cherry Slurpee or something similar. Film the drink as it impacts the ground and spews forth it's contents to associate the impact with the other....uh....impact, and plant the idea of copious amounts of blood bursting from a human body.

Two: Yes, DO film a toe tag on the foot of the deceased, but pan the view back in a long lingering shot to reveal not one body with a sheet over it, but several pieces of a body (tastefully covered in separate sheets), spread over one or more tables, driving home the point that the victim will be resting in...pieces.

Back