Producing milk

angelah

I know that milk can be input and out from the new mulriple industries, but that means it has to come from somewhere in the first place, so where?
There is an A O Milk asset but it's a dormant one, doesn't produce anything.
My problem is that if these new multi industries can handle milk I need a central milk depot to where (presumably) farmers would send or take the stuff and then we can all send a train (sorry, consist!) there to collect it in the appropriate wagons.
I have been struggling with this nutty problem all afternoon and have given up.
To produce the butter and cheese products (commodities) there is a need for bulk milk and while that is an option for putting it in and taking it away, where the hell does it come from?
If that A O milk asset actually produced it so many litres a minute or whatever, then a wagon could go and collect it, but the multi industry needs input first, as far as I can see it doesn't make it out of thin air...

Anybody got any ideas.

This of course applies to any commodity, if there isn't as asset that produces it where does it come from? Take china clay, I can't even find the commodity for that product! So what do the china clay wagons get loaded with?

A very puzzled - Angela

EDIT : I use 2004 btw.... thought it best to mention it.

Last edited:
Hi Angela,
You could create an industry track using the ProtoLARS CDK from TrainzProRoutes, then place your AO Milk asset (or bendorsey's creamery or whatever) next to or under it. I've not done one of these, but it doesn't look difficult (just edit a couple of lines in the config file - no programming needed). If you have problems with understanding it, PM me giving the details of your needed product and I will create it.

Dave Bird

The answer is Norris Green Dairy of course! :) Which actually uses one Multiple Industry Basic for its coal siding and two Multiple Industry New's for its Dairy Leadout and its Dairy Tank Siding.

John

Milk comes from cows, last I heared.

Maybe you heared right, but then it should be heard - although seeing how cows are involved, maybe it should be herd.:)

John

Odd replies

Thanks for the odd replies....

I am having also a problem with a coal industry, again one of the multi Industry 2004 assets. Start Trainz, send a coal train there and nothing, it fails to load, send it to a mine and it loads...
So I checked I had set up the industries correctly by running a mail train and that picked up and dropped without a hitch.
It seems that apart from not having a source in Trainz for the production of milk it is not possible to set a high enough start value on commodities either and when clicking on the Industry to find out why it refused to load I get the message 'Be full in 50 minutes'. So we have to wait 50 minutes before running freight? Sounds cockeyed to me...

But the mail proved I am setting Industry assets up correctly. I noticed that it was possible to set the parcels and mail commodity to at least 100, but most of the other won't set a number at all or drop it to 1.

I used the A O milk static asset and some sheds in a yard and the 200 New Industry section of track, indeed most all of the load points are this asset. I am keen to use only assets available from the DLS, we all know people don't know where to find any others...

Angela

Last edited:
No such asset

The answer is Norris Green Dairy of course! :) Which actually uses one Multiple Industry Basic for its coal siding and two Multiple Industry New's for its Dairy Leadout and its Dairy Tank Siding.

John

I did a search for this using the name you typed but it came up No know asset.

Angela

All depends on the product and how it's config .... I've done hundreds of products including Milk ... I am not into making nothing new, however, I might revisit the Milk Product and do more varieties in the future!

Also, check out Phil's superb tutorial "you will learn how to configure interactive industries and freight cars using the LARS and ProtoLARS system"!

http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Pages/Tutorials_TRS2004/LARS-ProtoLARS-TutTRS.htm

Have fun!:wave: :D
Ish

Sorry for the rather cryptic reference. Norris Green and its dairy are on the Razorback Classic layout which is a download from our web site for TRS2004, or comes built-in in TRS2006.

John

Not DLS

Sorry for the rather cryptic reference. Norris Green and its dairy are on the Razorback Classic layout which is a download from our web site for TRS2004, or comes built-in in TRS2006.

John

Not the DLS then....

But thanks anyway.

Angela

Not good

I don't think I am explaining the problem very well.

When you set and Industry track down it is somewhere like a dock quay, a china clay working, a freight depot or some such place - like a milk depot.
We can safely assume that a dock will have ships coming to unload so that 'industry track' will 'produce' commodities from the sea, not from railway wagons. As would a market garden, it will grow produce ready to load onto rolling stock. An aggregate working or mine would also produce its own goods, that's the whole idea of having a railway going there, to collect them.

But it's not a lot of good if your railway has to take the goods there in the first place before it can collect them... is it?

A factory will produce whatever it is in business to make, it might need other goods to do it, like timber or metal, but the factory will still produce its own goods, not need them to be taken there.

This is what's happening to the milk. I have a dairy that should produce pallets of butter and cheese. This needs the milk, but where is that to come from?
Can't send a tanker on a railway line to milk a cow... that's the farmer's job. He'll then have it collected and taken to a central point for rail/lorry collection and this is where the 'manufacturing' part comes in, these rail industries don't seem to 'make' anything anymore, only take it in and then send it out again.

Angela

I think I understand now... It's not physically getting it to work, it what kind of industry the milk should come from by rail... How about making it as if the milk is collected from local farms by road, then the cheese and butter are shipped out. (I think there are drivable trucks that will do this?)

Hope this helps
TG

Hi Angela

Well my local railway here is milk central, last season the figures were 12,000 wagons of milk shipped sent to the milk prosessing plant up the line and turned into Milk powder for export, so its milk in containers out. The milk comes from tanker trucks to 2 sites where they have large storage vats and the wagons are load from there, actually in TRS06 there is some default vats in there that are very similar to the ones used here in the real world. if you are interested I can email ya some pics, I'm currently building the local line here but havn't got my milk industry set up but I did make the milk wagons the other day.

Cheers

Milko

Hi Angela

Well my local railway here is milk central, last season the figures were 12,000 wagons of milk shipped sent to the milk prosessing plant up the line and turned into Milk powder for export, so its milk in containers out. The milk comes from tanker trucks to 2 sites where they have large storage vats and the wagons are load from there, actually in TRS06 there is some default vats in there that are very similar to the ones used here in the real world. if you are interested I can email ya some pics, I'm currently building the local line here but havn't got my milk industry set up but I did make the milk wagons the other day.

Cheers

Thanks, I would like to see a piccy or two, but remember I use 04 so cannot use your asset.
Yes, milk powder is a good commodity. But where does the milk come from to make it? Shipped in by train? Then where does the train load it?
This whole thing becomes like a ctach 22 thing. And I only used milk as an example, this applies to a lot of commodities.

In, I think UTC, the rail length used as an 'industry' could be set to 'produce' a commodity or two, or three or four, but they were admittedly very limiting and I expect that's why the newer types were introduced.
If I recall even the coal 'in hand' at the mine could be set to quite a high figure so the action could start immediately.

And all this was an attempt at setting up the industry tracks in a new route I should really be sending up to the DS rather than frapping about with these industries. So it's getting delayed!

Angela

Angela

Really helpful

Hi Angela,

Are you setting up the M.I.N (Multiple Industry New) correctly?

You can setup an M.I.N to produce Milk but consume nothing to do so, then just place some buildings around the track to make it look right.

Have a look here:

http://members.westnet.com.au/nightcrawler/trainz/index.htm

In the menu, select Tutorials, they can be changed to whatever products you want... :)

Hi,
Now that's really helpful. I have saved those pages to view offline so I can print them out. Then I will experiment and see what I can get out of it. This may cure the problems I am hitting.

Many thanks,

Angela

Yes, they printed out okay...

Last edited:
Milk comes from cows, last I heared.

Maybe you heared right, but then it should be heard - although seeing how cows are involved, maybe it should be herd.:)

John

Herd, heard, heared, hurt, heart, hoard... English is not my first language, for me its all the same.

It seems to work

AussieNightcrawler,
After following your advice and tutorials I think the units are now working. Considering I have been setting them up since yesterday morning you can see just how long it takes and how many there are, well, you know that of course!
I tested the coal that refused to load before and it did this time without a hitch. I must have set them up wrong, quite possible, I don't normally do that at all and prefer to let the user set up as suits them rather than what suits me. Does that make sense?
But I felt I should have a bash at it and I have learned quite a lot in the process. My main problem now is in not having the right British rolling stock to move a lot of the goods so it means using the RENFE stuff, the Teams and Zaes types.
Once I am sure it runs okay I shall send it up to the DS.... maybe next week now, I think I'll need the weekend to run it a bit.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, we got there in the end - both ends in fact!

And a bonus, the re-rail portal works as well....

Angela

Back