Problems with grades

dank_15

Ive been playing TRS22 for some time now and decided to switch to Trainz plus. I noticed that when i try to place a grade such as a 1.00% grade it will act like its on a 0.00% grade. Im not sure if im doing anything or this is a build issue but help would be greatly appreciated

I am not sure if you are referring to ground gradient or a spline gradient. Regardless, I just tried both in build 122411 of Trainz Plus using Surveyor 2.0 and they both worked. At no stage did entering a Grade of 1.00% change into 0.00% - although 1% is a very gentle slope and you may need to extend it for some distance before you notice the height difference. You don't need to enter the full 1.00%, just 1% will do.

I refer you to the following parts of the Surveyor 2.0 Tools Wiki Page:-

Ground Heights

Spline Gradient

Nope...has not been sorted out yet! I filed a bug report on this awhile ago and I am still waiting for it to be fixed! I love building routes, but have not been able to because of this. I have tried suggestions made here and Wiki suggestions. Either I am too old to understand or they just don't work. I used to be able, in Surveyor 1, to start laying track and then go and out a percentage figure for the slope. After that, every piece of track laid was at whatever percentage I put in until I changed it.

Have you been spending too much time Trainzing and not enough time doing your homework? :D

I'll check this in the Plus beta and see if it's fixed when I have some time.

Build 122411 and still no good. Dead in the water. What I paid for and like the most, still doesn't work.

Did some experiments in Surveyor 2.0 with build 122411 and found the following points.
  1. you can set the gradient value in the Tool Options Palette before using the Placement Tool to lay a spline and each new spline will have that gradient correctly set until you anchor the endpoint (left click) when it drops to the ground height. This, I suspect, is the issue here. The gradient of the endpoint should be fixed to the value in the Grade setting in the Tool Options Palette when it is anchored.
  2. using the Free Move Tool or the Fine Adjustment Tool you can select a spline segment or multiple spline segments that had already been laid and set them all to a common gradient, as described in the Wiki at Free Move Spline Gradient and at Fine Adjustment Spline Gradient.
  3. you can apply a gradient to each spline segment immediately after it has been laid using the Placement Tool as described in the Wiki at Placement Spline Gradient
I repeated the experiment using the latest beta build 123315 and points 2 and 3 above worked the same. Point 1, however, now works as expected. The endpoint of a newly placed spline does not drop down to the ground when it is anchored.

So, it looks like the problem will be solved in the next non-beta update.

I may try that, but I really don't use Surveyor 2 much at all. I prefer Surv 1 and it used to work exactly the way it was supposed to. And on top of that, is was simple! I would VERY much like to have it back that way!

That should happen when the next SP update is released. I am the opposite. I rarely use Surveyor 1 any more.

I have learned never to make "confident" predictions when it comes to technology but I would "anticipate" the next SP release to be this year. The current beta fixes a number of minor but irritating bugs but the focus is on the fleshing out of the HD terrain and the new TLR features. Add to that the Trainz Plus timetable of a new feature every quarter then this current quarter is due for an update.

I have learned never to make "confident" predictions when it comes to technology but I would "anticipate" the next SP release to be this year. The current beta fixes a number of minor but irritating bugs but the focus is on the fleshing out of the HD terrain and the new TLR features. Add to that the Trainz Plus timetable of a new feature every quarter then this current quarter is due for an update.
In summary the answer is soon(tm).

Back