Problem with Unknown Kuids in TRS19

torino72

Problems with Unknown KUIDS in TRS19.

I'm using Davesnow's latest Cotton Belt Route (the one with the monorail system included) in TRS19, North American version. When I installed it was missing lots of kuids. I cloned his route to my user kuid and started searching for the missing and unknown kuids. I was able to find some but when I finished I was still missing 75 unknowns. I was able to find older versions and fix many of them as needed. For example, I might find <kuid:555555:6078> where the Unknown listed in the Config file was <kuid2:555555:6078:3>, etc.

After days of hunt, search, and fix and then going into the route's Config file to change <kuid2:555555:6078:3> back to <kuid:555555:6078>, etc I had a route with no missing or faulty dependencies. The session/route loaded and looked good.

However, the first time I made a route or session change and saved (overwrite existing route and session) the route reverted back to having 75 unknown kuids. It had changed a known kuid back to an unknown kuid on each of the 75 kuids I had found/corrected and changed in the config file. Why is that happening?

It cannot be finding a :3 asset anywhere or why would it tag it as unknown. Many of these assets are unknown because they are payware or built-ins to TANE but not in TRS19 or on the DLS or anywhere else they can be downloaded. Many I found in earlier Trainz versions (TRS2006, TS2010, & TS12). I do not have TANE and I have the North American version of TRS19 (which I think is a disaster). For example, Dave's Cotton Belt Route did not even show up as a North American route in TRS19. So, I assume many kuids used on North American routes may be foreign and, even if they are on the DLS, are not available to the North American version users via the DLS.

After days of hunt, search, and fix and then going into the route's Config file to change <kuid2:555555:6078:3> back to <kuid:555555:6078>, etc I had a route with no missing or faulty dependencies. The session/route loaded and looked good.

That's the wrong way to do it. You can't change what the route expects to find (other than by removing the asset in Surveyor and placing a new one). You need to upversion <kuid:555555:6078> to <kuid2:555555:6078:3> so the route finds what it expects to find. When that asset becomes available on the DLS you can download it to overwrite the upversioned one and no changes to the route are required.

With the example of your :3 asset, find the older asset again and edit it so it is <KUID2:XXXXXX:XXXXX:4>. I recently had to do a lot of this to get some older legacy routes working again and fix them so TS2019 couldn't overwrite the assets and mess things up again.

With the example of your :3 asset, find the older asset again and edit it so it is <KUID2:XXXXXX:XXXXX:4>.
If the missing asset is upversioned to : 4 then when the cloned route is saved it will update the route dependency to that version, so that when the :3 version appears on the DLS it will still not be usable in the route. Upversioning to :3 will be sufficient to deal with the problem, and will ensure that the route is unchanged.

That's fair enough and good advice SailorDan, but I didn't want my older assets to be updated to something 'latest and greatest' that I might not want.

I guess I could update these 75 kuids to :127 (which I think was the highest update version Trainz would allow) and that would prevent anything from updating them for the next 120+ updates (I'll be long dead by that time). I'll experiment with this. I know I've done this config file in older Trainz versions and it did not change the kuids back to "unknowns". Some of these unknowns were from payware and not on any DLS. There is nothing N3V can do about that unless they scan all new uploads for unknowns and refuse to allow them on the DLS. But, N3V could make all built-in files from previous versions available in their latest version on the DLS for those with the "latest greatest" version of Trainz. That would eliminate many of the unknowns. It also may be that the full TRS19 version has these older version kuids built-in but N3V chose not to make them available (along with many non-North American assets) to those with the North American version of TRS19. I thought I was buying a game that would only contain built-in versions of North American Routes & Sessions but it is not looking like that. I'm not happy with TRS19 at all!

TS2019 is still a bit of a work in progress unfortunately. Despite having to do a large amount of asset fixing myself to get some routes working I think TS2019 has a lot of potential and has more good points than bad. I do agree though that someone who had never owned any Trainz version before purchasing TS2019 would be more than likely be feeling somewhat bewildered and a little disappointed at the sudden steep learning curve they're faced with in order to get everything running as it should.

I guess I could update these 75 kuids to :127 (which I think was the highest update version Trainz would allow) and that would prevent anything from updating them for the next 120+ updates

That doesn't make sense. You want to get the updated version when it finally appears. Many of the unknowns are payware that N3V is slowly re-releasing as DLS items, because they should never have been payware in the first place. By upversioning to :127 you are ensuring that the fixes for the problem you are complaining about will never get applied to your installation!

Back