Possibly the strangest steam powered machine ever...

Yeah... They used to use those in Wisconsin during the lumber boom (near the turn of the last century). The only difference was that they put skids on the front so the could drive down the ice covered logging roads.

Last edited:
UFO?

Well, it wasn't bred for beauty, that's for sure. Let's be kind and call it "functional." I recall stumbling on something like this on the DLS a while back. Can't remember what it was called. It came from one of the German contributors, I think.

Bernie

Did it start life as a Shay or was it built like that?

Judging by the nature of the crank wheels on the cylinder assembly I think it was constructed from hoist-engines. A friend of mine owns a similar land locomotive with a horizontal hoist-engine assembly. Though his doesn't have treads, because it's half-truck!

Cheerio,
John

Gerd has a traction engine on the DLS under the title "Dampftraktor". It's drivable and will be listed under the rolling stock in Trainz. It's a TRS04 asset.

:cool: Claude

Yes Mad Railman!

My favorite ugly is this Delaware & Hudson creature, Horatio Allen.

horatioallen.jpg

Can you believe over 90,000 lb. of tractive effort from a consolidation, with horsepower to match? You've pointed to a great site for anyone interested in the bizarre.

Bernie

Yes Mad Railman!

My favorite ugly is this Delaware & Hudson creature, Horatio Allen.

horatioallen.jpg

Can you believe over 90,000 lb. of tractive effort from a consolidation, with horsepower to match? You've pointed to a great site for anyone interested in the bizarre.

Bernie
ive heard of this locomotive before but I didn't know it was there, I read about it in a book it said that it had like 500 PSI boiler Pressure which would keep me atleast 1/2 a mile away from it when it passed 300 PSI, but that is incredible!

Back