Please STOP Obsoleting files!

PhilChorusch01

One thing that frustrates me regarding Trainz is files are obsoleted making them unusable in routes and rolling stock. Please, for Christ sake STOP obsoleting files.
Now, I know why I'm having missing ground textures and other painted textures such as ballast as an example in some routes, it's because during the recent update NV3 Games obsoleted files... JUST STOP THIS PLEASE! Sorry to shout but seriously NO MORE OBSOLETING FILES

Why not just download the updated versions?

John
I have a couple assets that use a previous version of a bogey (the built in SP SD45 and SD40T-2). If I install the new version of the bogey it obsoletes the old version. It’s fine until I go to play Multiplayer, where it’ll revert back to the old version and ruin the assets that use the newer version. Sure you can download the new one but it’d be nice to have both versions active at the same time.

One thing that frustrates me regarding Trainz is files are obsoleted making them unusable in routes and rolling stock. Please, for Christ sake STOP obsoleting files.
Now, I know why I'm having missing ground textures and other painted textures such as ballast as an example in some routes, it's because during the recent update NV3 Games obsoleted files... JUST STOP THIS PLEASE! Sorry to shout but seriously NO MORE OBSOLETING FILES
Nobody is obsoleting files. A file only shows obsolete on installed assets when you have the newer version installed. On the DLS it states newer version available.

I would download the updated versions, IF they were available! Certain files are obsolete forever since the recent update causing some routes to be missing ground textures and more 'as stated before'.

As for other obsolete files, I'm in process of downloading them now. Look I Trainz is the ONLY game I know that obsoletes files, this is absolutely a stupid idea. I could understand overriding the original files, but NOOO they have to obsolete them.

I would download the updated versions, IF they were available! Certain files are obsolete forever since the recent update causing some routes to be missing ground textures and more 'as stated before'.

As for other obsolete files, I'm in process of downloading them now. Look I Trainz is the ONLY game I know that obsoletes files, this is absolutely a stupid idea. I could understand overriding the original files, but NOOO they have to obsolete them.
Can you be more precise? If I update a bit of rolling stock then it will show as obsolete but will still work if it worked before.

Thanks John

Lousy work-around, but could you run 2 versions of trainz? Or maybe just point 1 version of trainz at 2 different asset directories?

Obsolete assets are those that have been replaced because you have downloaded an update as John Whelan said. There are many reasons why content is updated but usually it is to fix errors in the content, which are not always apparent. Recently, there has been a change to scripts that affects many assets and as the content creators update their content, we are now seeing many updates as a result.

It's recommended you clean up the obsolete assets since having both the updates and the old ones on the system can cause issues. Sometimes, however, there are issues when an asset is updated but that's pretty rare. If you need help with this, we can provide some instructions on how to clean up obsolete content.

Back in TRS19 we started getting obsolete items that couldn't be updated because the updates were for TS3 (mobile) I have about 16 of them.
I was told by N3V that this would be fixed. However I am now at TRS22 PE (SP2) and these obsolete assets have become 20. Some are the same and some are different. All the updates are for TS3, but because they have the same TB Nos. they show up whenever I do a check for Obsoletes.
I find it most frustrating that the 2 different sets of assets can't be separated or filtered so that they don't give a false impression that they need updating TS22. (or TS19)
If the asset needs to be modified so it can be used in the mobile version of the game, surely it should not appear in the main version.

Why not just download the updated versions?

John
Great idea but sometimes the update is not compatible with the older version of the game you still have loaded aka asset that has been updated and now only compatible with higher build than loaded and above and shows as error if you do download it but should not be a problem in TRS22 unless its something that is only a beta compatible and your only using full builds

Tom

Last edited:
Can you be more precise? If I update a bit of rolling stock then it will show as obsolete but will still work if it worked before.

Thanks John
I really can't be more precise mate LOL I've only started playing Trainz again this year so I'm still learning a few things here and there.. All I know in regards to the routes missing all textures and some other painted textures was caused by that mongrel recent update. Everything was WORKING previously.. And now I have all of these obsolete files since that mongrel update.. There's just no way to revert on Steam!

It would be nice if NV3 Games would consider to STOP obsoleting files. That's what I'm trying to ask them! As I stated before, there's NOT one other game that obsolete files... Why NOT override them like every other game?? It's absolutely a pest to obsolete files and RUINS the enjoyment of playing Trainz..

I have 57 obsoleted files listed. There used to be a strategy to update them- open in new window and update.. But it seems to not have an effect. Another was to just download the obsoletes but that does nothing.

Built-in files if obsolete can not be removed by users, only ones that are on the DLS. You can't download an obsolete file and use it if the newer version is still installed. When a file is updated the old file becomes obsolete because that file may be needed by someone still using an older version of Trainz. The override of a file update for newer versions would make the file unusable in those older versions.

My TS2009 CM is flagging a lot of assets as obsolete and pushing for download of lot of updated assets with trainz-build higher than 3.3 (max for TS2009), making it incompatible and erroneous after the installation.

I have over 1000 obsoleted files to update, last night when I checked it was downloading over 6000 files and I just woke up and it's going to download over 100k.. It's a bit weird!! Glad I've got a FCT, I'be be buggered if I didn't HAHA

I have over 1000 obsoleted files to update, last night when I checked it was downloading over 6000 files and I just woke up and it's going to download over 100k.. It's a bit weird!! Glad I've got a FCT, I'be be buggered if I didn't HAHA
I think Trainz was downloading the entire DLS! Could someone please tell me exactly how to update the obsolete, newer version available files? Remember I have Steam so there's NO updates showing in Content Store and under the Updates tab

In CM I added the out-of-date selection beneath the installed bar. I then select all from the edit menu and right-click on the download. Any assets not downloaded and still show newer version available may be in a DLC package.

Back