paintshed

It's obsolete now. It was only for TRS2004 and TRS2006. Other versions support PaintShed reskins but not the creation of new PaintShed assets.

The main issue with PaintShed was that it only used a small sample of locomotives and rolling stock and did not support steam engines.

With advances in models, reskinning by editing an asset's TGA files is now what's done. It allows bigger changes to be made and does not restrict one to a selection of templates - anything can be reskinned.

Kieran.

Yes, that is all true, even the "obsolete" comment But my '72 Honda CL450k5 is obsolete and yet is still fully functional. I could do more, better, with a new KLR650 but that is no reason to limit the 450's use to old roads.

Paintshed has it's advantages. It is easier to use and the results are often all that is needed.

The problem with Paint Shed is that unless you use TRS2004 or 2006, it doesn't really have any function anymore. Which makes it obsolete and nearly entirely useless, unlike your '72 Honda.

Kieran.

Yes, that is all true, even the "obsolete" comment But my '72 Honda CL450k5 is obsolete and yet is still fully functional. I could do more, better, with a new KLR650 but that is no reason to limit the 450's use to old roads.

Paintshed has it's advantages. It is easier to use and the results are often all that is needed.

Obsolete does not relate to functionality. It simply indicates that the item is not current technology. Nobody is 'limiting' Paintshed to anything - it is still usable with the versions it was originally provided with, and the assets it creates can (mostly) be migrated to later versions.

The only thing that has changed is that it is no longer supplied as part of the product.

I once upgraded a Paintshed reskin to work like a normal loco, the loco being the Spongebob Loco. Although a bit hard to reskin, it worked PERFECT!

The big problem with Paintshed was that it only had a limited number of skins. Auran said people could create their own skins and this was theoretically possible. Unfortunately you had to be almost pixel accurate so that I think only Whitepass ever produced a skin. I had a go but gave up as it was so tedious. As has been said above, the accepted method of creating your own TGA skins is, in the end, far easier once you have gained experience.

Back