Organizing Assets. Best Way[?]

GizmoGorilla

Im fairly new to trainz and slowly learning...but the thing I have greatest difficulty with is remembering where assets are and their names, to build my layout. I know that I can set up a hot list for rolling stock/engines and that works great for quick selection, but what about things like track side objects and buildings. Can they too be hotlisted. I also know that I can use the tool to click on an asset to call it up in the asset list, thats good, but only for assets currently in use. I find that a lot of the names given to these objects are not intuitive (to me). There doesnt seem to be any naming convention. For example, a roundhouse, can be found in items starting with "C"' as in CNR Roundhouse. Same thing for a turntable. I found one under "N" for "NSW Turntable", vs "T" for just turntable. Some of the names I look at are totally meaningless to me and require that I click on them to see what they are. It would make more sense, and be easier to locate items if they started with their common name for example..."Turntable NSW" & "Turntable CNR" or "RoundHouse CNR". I have found myself having to write down these names for later reference. Is there a better way to organize & access these assets, or does everyone just deal with it?

Trainz2006
Norm

Im fairly new to trainz and slowly learning...but the thing I have greatest difficulty with is remembering where assets are and their names, to build my layout. I know that I can set up a hot list for rolling stock/engines and that works great for quick selection, but what about things like track side objects and buildings. Can they too be hotlisted. I also know that I can use the tool to click on an asset to call it up in the asset list, thats good, but only for assets currently in use. I find that a lot of the names given to these objects are not intuitive (to me). There doesnt seem to be any naming convention. For example, a roundhouse, can be found in items starting with "C"' as in CNR Roundhouse. Same thing for a turntable. I found one under "N" for "NSW Turntable", vs "T" for just turntable. Some of the names I look at are totally meaningless to me and require that I click on them to see what they are. It would make more sense, and be easier to locate items if they started with their common name for example..."Turntable NSW" & "Turntable CNR" or "RoundHouse CNR". I have found myself having to write down these names for later reference. Is there a better way to organize & access these assets, or does everyone just deal with it?

Trainz2006
Norm

Hi Norm.......... I dont know the answer, but I do exactly what you said you do in your next to last sentance...........WRITE DOWN THESE NAMES....

The minute I see ANYTHING that I think I am even remotely interested in, I write down its' PROPER NAME, as given by its' creator. In some case I write down the kuid number. I have used the various tools, such as TrainzObjects, but I still would like a more user friendly mechanism for listing the assets.

As you say, lots of great stuff always seem to be in a language that is not recognized by the one wanting it. I personally dont know what it is even when I see a photograph!!!!:confused:

Take a peek at this thread: How do you keep track of downloads?

Some great folks offered me some suggestions.

Last edited:
A common problem with no real solution.

Some months ago I spent a great deal of time using 2006 CMP going through all my installed and downloaded assets and renamed most of the buildings, scenery (especially trees), bridges, industry and passenger active assets using my own category titles - a long slow job but it was worth it in the time I now save when I need to locate a particular asset.

Bridges with track, for example, I renamed according to:-
- type, number of tracks, construction material (span, supports), country, other details such as track spacing

e.g:-
viaduct column 2t steel concrete US 4m
viaduct arch 1t dark stone UK

Stations and platforms that are passenger active I include the code PAX in their name as well as info about the width, length, construction material, number of tracks, etc

e.g:-
platform PAX invisible 2t 110m
platform PAX 4t asphalt 5x210 2 ramps

... with a similar scheme for active industries (IAX) and portals (IPX)

So locating a particular type of industry in surveyor involves typing terms such as "IAX grain" or "IAX factory" or "IAX coal" into the object text box.

Non active assets such as houses, factories, office buildings, stations, etc have their own naming schemes.

This system is not perfect and I am still refining the labels - but it works.

PS ;)I am not a "labelling nut" nor do I keep my room tidy and I still have trouble locating a book on my bookshelf. Its just that Trainz is "different".

Peter Ware

Hello Peter.......

My system is nowhere as elaborate as yours. I dont rename items; I use the name given by the creator. But then I identify it in a way that I CAN REMEMBER IT. And then I simply list them in individual categories, such as INDUSTRYCOAL, INDUSTRYOIL, INDUSTRYAIR, etc.

As you have stated, whatever works for you. Some folks create a board(s) for oil, coal, marine, etc. Then they refer to it when "building" that industry on their layout.

As long as it works for you, it is okay. I love your idea. It sounds far more time-consuming than mine. Good luck!!!:wave:

OK,.. so I see what Im up against, its what I suspected... Renaming...I think for now I'll just make a list of my most used assets...for now. But then,... I might think... this could,... maybe, be a nudge to asset creators, to come up with a naming convention so assets are more logically found. Pware, I like your system. Start with a common name for the asset that most/all people can identify with...then break it down....

Norm

Another useful method is to open a new base board, and instead of writing down every item you might find useful, just plonk the item down on the board. Now when you start a new layout, you just open that base board and all your assets are available for picking and placing. You can have several of these boards for different themes. Save the layout as a different name, and when finished, just delete that one board.

Cheers

Brian

For those who worry about renaming assets, the original name is still kept in the asset config.txt file, the renaming only affects how it is listed in the CMP asset database and in surveyor.

I also use CMP to archive all my downloaded renamed assets so I can recover them, without having to go through the long renaming process, should disaster strike.

Last edited:
For those who worry about renaming assets, the original name is still kept in the asset config.txt file, the renaming only affects how it is listed in the CMP asset database.

I also use CMP to archive all my downloaded renamed assets so I can recover them, without having to go through the long renaming process, should disaster strike.

The reason I have the PROPER NAME, rather than another name is that I use a WordPerfect document on another computer as a reference. While in Surveyor, I can go directly to the asset if I know its' name there. I have gotten so use to it, that I have not bothered to try another method. As you stated earlier, building a database of your own personal favorites can be quite overwhelming. It is a long process, but worth it. I would not wish any unknown languages upon anyone. Some of the item on the DLS I accidently stumbled upon, and would never find it again in a million years. Or I get it from a downloaded layout, and I grab the kuid number. Your method is better though. Keep up the good work.:wave:

Back