Nsw Zealand Railways

Bill69

The New Zealand rail system has just been bought back off Toll Holdings.

The new name will be Kiwi Rail.

I suppose this means a lot of expence for new logos, new stationery ect.

Bill69.

I like the way Jim Bolger has been made CEO of KiwiRail; he was the chump that sold NZR to Fay Richwhite and Wisconsin Central in the first place. :hehe:

Cheers

Nix (ex NZR)

I quite like the new colour scheme too, bit shiney on TV, but a bit of road grime on them and they shouldn't look to bad, hope they get them all painted before the next take over

Cheers

I quite like the new colour scheme too, bit shiney on TV, but a bit of road grime on them and they shouldn't look to bad, hope they get them all painted before the next take over

Cheers

Must have been a pretty quick paint job too.

Yes nix, if he is still as astute as he was then it's gona cost the taxpayer one heck of a lot of money. :'( :'( :'(

Cheers,
Bill69

I had to laugh at this, this is from a NZ train fan site from an insider that was in the loco new paint scheme and rebranding exercise thing.

"Name

The name was thought of and confirmed here and we had two other names
suggested from within the industry, AoteaRail and TRAINZ. The later
was seen by some as to close to a previous regime so rejected.

Other brands

No changes are being made to the other brands and I put here a quote
from Michael Cullens statement yesterday

"The rail business we have acquired will be known as KiwiRail while
the Interislander, Tranz Scenic, Tranz Metro and Hillside Engineering
group will continue to operate with their well known brands."

The only possible change is the addition of the fern somewhere on the
brand, but that is only a thought at present."

Had to laugh I think Mr Auran might have been in contact with Mr Cullen over the stealing of the TRAINZ brand eheheh

Don't think it was a quick job on that loco they used, it has been the Hutt shops for about 3 months a full rebuild to DXB standards and was due out in the middle of June so its been held back a little for this I would say.

Think the rail system is long over due for some money to be spent on it, its in such a run down state along with everything else in this country, unfortunatly with that new lot that is gonna get in, in November are not great ones for spending on infrastructure

Cheers

Don't get your hopes up boys; I've seen this kinda hoohaa before. Let's face it, if the Gov can't find the money to invest in new electricity generation plants (hydro or anything) they certainly aren't going to find the money to drag the railways forward into the middle ages.:confused:

Cheers (I toll'd ya so)

Nix

I have had the impression for some time now (and via a friend in NZ) that our Kiwi cosuins have been seeing a poor railway situation over there and a shadow of what it once was. Here we are with a fairly extensive system and lines shut since the 1960's re-opened (others in the pipeline)and numbers at their highest since the kate '40's. How unlucky can you folk get?!

Title = Nsw Zealand Railways

NSW Zealand Railways??? :eek:

The new name will be Kiwi Rail.
Geeee, how original - NOT!

Why not just NZR or NZ Rail or similar?(1)

Now how about they bring back the Rotorua, Napier/Gisborne, Invercargill (spell?) passenger trains back. I can't understand why the Rotorua train service was canned. Now if they can bring back the Northerner, and a full Overlander service (that's Overlander, not the Overland!) - suppose that's "in my dreams."

1. What's left of NZ railways that is!

Last edited:
NZR or NZ Rail, to much old baggage associated with that I think, actually I quite like Kiwi Rail, I'm quite proud to be a Kiwi.:hehe:

Rotorua probably not enough freight, I think the track is in pretty bad shape now all the locals have be going in and taking the railway sleepers, but it would be good to see it come back.

Geez what Toll had planned was pretty bad, close the NIMT the PN Napier line, Picton to Chch, Invergargill line, unless they got a Govt subsidy, I understand they have done a similar thing in Victoria, perhaps one our Aussie friends can enlighten us.

I understand there's some rumours of new rolling stock for the Overlander, it certainly needs a revamp what are they at the moment 1930's vintage rolling stock, pretty bad

Cheers

There's always a bunch of old UK MkII's parked out at hillside workshops round the corner from me. I'm hoping those will end up being used somewhere. That'll drag Kiwi Rail up to at least the 1970's...:eek:

Don't worry chasps, I hear they're getting a whole bunch of locos and passenger cars courtesy of Afghanistan Railways. :hehe:

Cheers

Nix

eso those MkII's are for the Auckland Metro system they have bough a good few of them in now and refurbished them ther at Hillside they look quite flash when they come out of there

Afghanistan Nix were not quite that bad, but close:cool:

Cheers

There's always a bunch of old UK MkII's parked out at hillside workshops round the corner from me. I'm hoping those will end up being used somewhere. That'll drag Kiwi Rail up to at least the 1970's...:eek:

Don't know about the Hillside ones but there is some at Hutt workshops too and I know what they are for.

Bill69
p.s. Red Rattler the nsw was a typo.

Well the ones at Hutt workshops are not owned by Kiwi Rail or Toll Rail. They are owned by a Rail preservation trust. The plan is to refurbish them and use them for various train trips during the centenary activities on Labour Weekend (October 2008) I have been involved with this trust a bit recently and have been invited to take part in at least one of the trips.

Main Trunk Line Centenary

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Back