Not happy with myself

Cactushead

I've been playing with Gmax for about a year now, and STILL can not get anything done, even following the tutorial to the letter. I guess it's time to admit my brain just isn't wired for that stuff. I might be able to learn it if someone were sitting right here at the computer with me, but I don't think that will ever happen. Soooo, I need to ask a question. Are there any FP 45's on the download station? If not, would someone be willing to build one for me along with an FP 45 'B' unit. I know, EMD never built one, but I need one. TX.
Dano

Which tutorial did you use? I learned starting with the Brick Box tutorial, but never got a useable item. You may have to collapse the item before exporting.
Try doing the multi-texture box and see if it works any better. Tutorials that convert the model to an editable mesh seem to be more agreeable.
Even I did it, so it can't be impossible.

:cool: Claude

Start with GMax's own tutorials, not all of them, just those which get you familiar with its user interface and fundamental operation.

The brick box tutorial mentioned above is indeed the simplest one to start with. It's the UVW unwrapping and "planar maps" business that causes most people pain at first. Once past that hurdle it's fairly straightforward until you get to animation.

The main part of the World Of Trainz site also has some good GMax tutorials.

HTH, John

Gmax

The tutorial and Gmax I'm using is the one that came with the Auran Content Creators CD set. The first problem I encountered was the mace. The spikes don't all join with the sphere. I found nothing in the tutorials to get them to join. Now, I did go through the tutorial, and tried a simple house, and was doing ok until I tried to make windows and doors. The commands didn't work like they did in the tutorials. Like I said, I need a teacher sitting right here at the computer with me. I have never been able to pick things up by just reading. Especially tech stuff like this. I ain't gonna quit, I'll keep messing with it until they stuff me in a body bag, but it does get frustrating.
Still would like to know about any FP45's on DLS.
Dano

Blender?

Okay, I used the Blender link, then bookmarked the site, but to be honest, I'm a little leary about downloading unknown content. Plus, what's that about Window crashing on start up? Also, has anyone else used this Blender program and what is your take on it. I need more than just one reference before I open my computer to an unknown download.
Dano

Have a read of this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)

I may be wrong but AFAIK there's no export from Blender to Trainz, is there? Also, many people consider Blender's user interface and documentation to be significantly worse than GMax's I think. But obviously it has at least one fan :)

John

Last edited:
Most people's problems with Blender come from it's interface. Almost everything is hotkey driven. While it is hard at first, over time you get used to it, and it speeds up your workflow considerably.

As for it being an "unknown download," it's an open-source project by a huge community, so someone would almost certainly notice almost immediately if there was a virus in a released trunk version.

Try the 440990 (I think it's called that) models tutorials. Helped me.

Matt
One less 9, but it's a good site. See it here.
The problem with Blender, beyond a learning curve that seems as steep as G-max, but in a different way, is that the Asset Creation Studio is G-max based, so you have to convert projects from Blender to G-max to import them to Trainz anyway. Some people consider that well worth it, but since I have to learn G-max anyway, I think it's best to save Blender for later. Personally, I like Amapi best.:p
Maces and doors and such like sound pretty difficult for just starting out. A simple textured box is the best way to learn, then move on to lighted windows, boolean cutting and simple locos.
And get pictures of the engine you want. Straight ahead, side views (from a distance to reduce perspective distortion) and rear, plus details. When you reach that level, photo textures are the easiest way to skin an object.
Good luck.

:cool: Claude

Thanks,

I looked at and saved to favorites the brick wall tutorial and the world of trainz site. I think maybe both of them will be a great help. First thing tho, I need to find the install disk for my printer so I can reinstall it from the crash. Have no idea where it went. However, I do have a cat that likes to hide things. Hmmmmm............ Pouncer?!?!?!?
Dano

I too am having some frustration wrt gmax. I can't complete any difficult tutorials either. Hahaha, to make it worse, I redid the mutli box tutorial and got stuck somehow and spent 3-4 hours redoing it (but I learnt what mistake I made).

I suppose a great analogy is to just play around with it. One of my best friends works with computers for a living (got a degree in software engineering). Needless to say, whenever I have a problem with my computer, I talk to him and he is usually able to help me out. Still, I remember when he was younger and would crash the computer or experiment to figure things out.

So I guess at first...just play around with it. Set simple goals. My first goal is to make a huge train station and texture it properly. Literally, I'm just making a huge multi-textured box (I have to learn about the textures which is frustrating as well) but yeah, the concept is the same. After I do that, I might be able to make more difficult objects. Few people start off being pros at something...everyone starts at the bottom of the ladder I guess.

One difficult tutorial which I can't finish shows how to make a Japanese subway car. It did teach me how to use boolean commands and how to chamfer edges. I think I'll go back to it and learn the other parts if I can (even if I don't finish it, so long as I learn things from it, it really helps!). I'll try to find the link for you when I get home from work.

Good luck! ^^

Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.jp/yuuchankellyy/gmaxe.html

I just typed gmax passenger tutorial on google with this being the first result.

Several warnings however:

1) this is well meant but the English is not 100% perfect or understandable. I would not recommend this for an absolute beginner because boy was I overwhelmed and the lack of exact English could be confusing sometimes. Still, if you can plow through it or have some experience doing this, you could learn a lot quickly and it does teach some interesting and quite relevant commands (such as making rounded windows in the side of a car for example - haha after that I pretty much got stuck :D ).
2) I think this is a very complex tutorial for obvious reasons, so be prepared for a few hours work minimum unless you are a pro at this stuff.

Good luck!

G'day Rick4444,

If you're building it in Gmax as per the tutorial, it doesn't matter which simulator it is intended to run in - you simply export it to the appropriate one once the model is completed. Be sure that you have the proper 'exporters' (downloaded from the Trainz website or installable off the Art Source CD) installed on your machine, otherwise any attempts to export the model into Trainz WILL fail...

Jerker {:)}

Back