'no path to selected destination' problem..

redzed333

Just starting out by testing the many features on a small 'station to station' route..

I can send an engine from station A to couple with a carriage a station B no problem...

But when it has to return to station A I get 'no path to selected destination', message...

Any help gratefully received..

Using 2010..

redzed333: It looks to me you have a switch lever missing..Any time it says "Cannot plot route" it is usually a switch lever..But also it could mean a broken rail..

Bob Cass:) :)

I deleted all switches and spurs and the train performed the sheduled run back and forth perfectly...

I added one spur/siding and the 'no path to selected destination' message pops up again....

Hi redzed333,

It is very likley that the switch lever is in the wrong place, presuming there is a switch lever of course. Click on your signal tab then click and drag the switch lever to the edge of the spline circle away from the frog. The other possiblilty is the rails being crossed at the diverging point. Drive the train manually over the switch to see if it goes the way the green arrow is pointing.

Cheers,
Bill69

I checked for broken track and checked switch levers, all work fine...

When starting 'A' to 'B' everything is fine...

As soon as the train tries to return it can't find a route...

Even if I start the engine at the 'B' end it can't find a route to 'A'...

Could it be something to with having a single track...?

Yep, all track is laid in one direction...

When I take out the spur/siding it tootles up and down the tack with no problem..

The direction of the track when laid can be ignored otherwise we'd all be stuck down a branch line.
You can go from A-B-A with no spurs. Put a spur in and check you have green+red arrow on point. Put any loco down. Manually drive it over points both ways then down the spur.
Try the loco at A, send to B and back. If still no go put track marks from B-A and use navigate to track mark. Number 1-10. Make your way towards B via T/marks. When it refuses to go further you've found the bad track.

The lever is the problem, it is the wrong side of the junction, drag foreward onto the single track side of the spline circle. It may only be slightly on the wrong side but it still shows the red and green even when it is the wrong side.

Hi stagecoach,

That is what I have been trying to establish with redzed333.

So here is a pic of where the lever should be positioned.

Cheers,
Bill69

Totally agree with fran1. When an AI train can't find a path then the way to find the problem is to lay a trackmark after the first spline point from the origin and instruct the AI to drive to it. If successful, move the trackmark past the next spline point. When you find the position where the AI will not move, you've located the section of track where the problem lies. It's usually a missing lever, lever too close to the junction (must show red and green arrows not two reds) or track which appears to be joined but isn't.

I also agree that this whole directional track thing is a complete myth. If track was directional it would have a directional arrow in Surveyor. As fran1 says, if track was directional you could never run AI trains both ways on single tracks, e.g. branch lines. If an AI train can't find a path then it's for other reasons.

Another cause

While working on WCL2 I found another cause of this. There are elevated section and I accidentally double-clicked somehow when adding an extension to the tracks and that left a very short piece underneath the actual line. I couldn't see it of course, even worse on an elevated section, so it mean gradually working along umpteen rail joints and moving each sideways to check. That's what it was, a short bit of track without a lever...

Just a thought.

Angela

I see you are working in 2010 so , in addition to the above suggestions, this could be a Layers problem. Check to make sure that all the "required bits" are suitable layers......

I had the same problem. Sometimes the track splines do not connect, there will be circle on only one section, not on the other. Make sure all splines are physically connected by using the move tool over each spline. A disconnected section will separate from the other section.

Johnny

Hi redzed333: You have to start thinking like a model railroader and handle it like a short in the track and pin point that way..You Know there is more than one way to skin a cat..

Hi redzed333: You have to start thinking like a model railroader and handle it like a short in the track and pin point that way..You Know there is more than one way to skin a cat..

Well said, Bob. The track laying process reminds me of my old modeling days when I was laying track on my N-scale layout. I had those places where the track looked fine, but the train would derail because the track when up over a clip instead. It was one of those things that's so difficult to find because the rails butted so close to each other.

John

CDP please

If your still struggling send me a cdp of the route and I'll look at it for you.

I had one recently in 2010 where I put a spur in, all fine. Quick drive all ok. Save and re start session and the point had 2 red arrows, no route to destination message. A mass relaying of local track followed but wherever I joined the original track with a point the same happened. Took weeks of head scratching.
The solution was to do any track mods in 2006 and send it to 2010 as a cdp, this included locos that show as faulty in cmp3.2. Dont open them and they run.

Another thing to check: If you are using passenger stations, check that they are actually connected to the rest of the track. There should be orange circles at each end (or sometimes just one end) of the station for each platform. If the circle(s) is/are white not orange (the circles 'attached' to the station) try moving it a bit (the track, not the station) - if it moves, connect it to the white circle at the end of the station platform, it should go orange which means it is connected OK.

This happens quite a lot with AJS stations, and sometimes with other stations, if the track was not connected correctly or the station was put in after the track.

As said above, also check for rogue junctions (no green arrows) and cross junctions (2 diverging tracks in opposite directions connecting to the same spline point). Direction markers can also cause problems - if you are running a single line, don't use direction markers (the yellow ones) unless you are using passing loops.

I am also able to check your route for you if you want - PM me if you want my email address

Shane

Last edited:
Another thing to check: If you are using passenger stations, check that they are actually connected to the rest of the track. There should be orange circles at each end (or sometimes just one end) of the station for each platform. If the circle(s) is/are white not orange (the circles 'attached' to the station) try moving it a bit (the track, not the station) - if it moves, connect it to the white circle at the end of the station platform, it should go orange which means it is connected OK.

This happens quite a lot with AJS stations, and sometimes with other stations, if the track was not connected correctly or the station was put in after the track.

As said above, also check for rogue junctions (no green arrows) and cross junctions (2 diverging tracks in opposite directions connecting to the same spline point). Direction markers can also cause problems - if you are running a single line, don't use direction markers (the yellow ones) unless you are using passing loops.

I am also able to check your route for you if you want - PM me if you want my email address

Shane

If the destination is a deadend spur, make sure you place a "Track End" (Buffer) on the end of the spur, otherwise the train will not enter the spur.

Andyz.

Back