Next question - how do you write a texture file?

harvan75

Further to my earlier email where I was trying to read a texture file. I obtained a copy of tgatool2 and was then able to open, and edit the .texture file that came with the Y1 DMU that I am trying to reskin :)

The problem is now that I am unable to save the file back into the .texture file :(

After a couple of hours on the web I was finally able to locate a copy of makeace.exe (despite it being a microsoft product). For such a crucial product no-one seems to be making it available.

So how do you use it? I exported the reskin into ace format (it didn't seem possible to directly save it into trainz' texture format) and then renamed the ace file as a texure file but when I looked at it in Railyard the texture on the outside of the carriage is missing :mad:

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Andrew
(Trainz 2006)

Hi Andrew,

MakeAce and the .ace image format are for MSTS and are not supported by Trainz. The .texture files used for some items in trainz are an old format which is now rarely used. The format was used to encrypt texture files but, as you have found, tgatool2 can now decrypt them. For this reason and others, the format is now more or less redundant and I don't think the encryption tool is even available these days.

Using tgatool2 you need to save the file in the .tga format. If it provides you with any options select "uncompressed" (or similar). You will then need to create a new .txt document in the folder you originally got the texture from. If for example your texture file is called main.tga, your new .txt file needs to be named main.texture.txt and needs to contain the following two lines.

Code:
Primary=main.tga
Tile=st
Save & exit, commit in CMP and then your item should appear correctly in-game.

Hope this helps,

JB

Last edited:
ace files are for MSTS. You need .tga, .bmp, or .jpeg files, the most common being .tga. After editing the file in MS Paint, closing tgatool2 should have given you the message that the content of the file had been changed and do you wish to save it? If it didn't, then somehow you didn't do something correctly. You should only be editing the .tga file.
Norm
Jivebunny beat me to it.

Magic!

Thanks Jivebunny. It worked like a dream (and indicates I've got some fixtures to repaint as well :mad: ) - but at least Royal Emirate Railways is a little closer to getting its first piece of rolling stock.

And thanks for your explanation of why texture files are still around.

One question - any idea what the Tile-st command is doing?

Regards

Andrew
(Trainz 2006)

To make a .texture file you have to have Trainz 1.1 installed and if you did make one you can NOT upload to the DLS, it will be rejected!
The Tile-st is the normal tile setting there are others (see CCG).

Back