New Paintshed for EE?

I understand.

:cool: Thanks Zec, I've read the pixel-perfect part, but the simplified mesh explanation sounds like what-why I have been looking for.

That explains the idea of "progressive mesh" as used for this application, why most of the detail is "painted-on," why it worked so well up until '06 when we started noticing the "plainness" of the models & complaints started happening, & why no further content was added by Auran.

I see PaintShed was used as a way to use the original default content for the game to help the community grow by allowing the making of a world of content that would have otherwise not have been created...that became the life-blood of the game made available on the DLS.

Now I feel sorry for the folks that wish to stay with '04...but I wouldn't call it "crap."

Still, I wish someone had mad a 'simple-box' EMD GP7, cupola caboose, ALCo RS3.

I am glad for what we have had, however.

PaintShed was the prime mover for a whole lot more than just running trains to me...I can think of about a dozen computer & web applications skills I have acquired because of Paintshed, from using mspaint to web image hosting to screenshots & general image editing & file handling, on & on, etc.

I uploaded just 38 items, stuff not previously made at the time & have almost 200,000 downloads.

One locomotive, a CSX SD40 #8488 was done as a replacement of a pair of Kato HO locomotives I once had that ran so well they would take your breath...21,619 downloads on it alone...

Where the heck did 21,619 downloads go? I can't figure that one out!

Thanks!

Note the old standalone will not work with TRS4 or newer as the mesh's where changed to allow load/unload. Remember Auran has posted that Paintshed may not be supported after TS09.

In regards to the stand along, if anyone DOES have this version, can you please try seeing if you can choose a location to save to, of which you can then import from.

Zec

You can download the patch for the standalone version to work with TRS2004 here. You must have a PaintShed serial to install it.

http://files.auran.com/TRS2004/downloads/PaintShed/TrainzPaintShedSetup.zip

The Program reads the windows registry to find the location of TRS2004 and reads the World folder to finds both the blank templates and any assets you have created and saved. Once it does, a dialog box opens to list the items. The save dialog is hard wired to save to the custom folder in the same location as above. It appears that without a basic install of TRS2004 the program is not usable.

William

UNKNOWN LIVERY

The livery that I was referring to in an earlier post was 'Coote Industries' which consists of a dark green body with the logo featuring a pointer pointing at the 2 O'Clock Position inside an Octogonial C...for Coote, with the diagonal pointer being the 'I' in Coote Industires...

The QR National loco I was referring to was a double ended QR National 2800 class.

Paintshed is still useful for producing Paintshed reskins in liveries like these when there are very few if any rolling stock on the DLS in such liveries and while one is waiting for some items in these to appear on the DLS.... One can at least start making their own rolling stock in such liveries in Paintshed to get them running on thier own layouts until better and more detailed items in these liveries appear...

That is where I feel that Paintshed is very handy... All one needs to do is download the logo from a website and prepare it in Paintsop Pro or Photoshop for use in a Paintshed reskin and once items start appearing on the DLS in these chosen liveries, one can either disgard their own temporary items and download the proper more professional items from the DLS,

Then comes another question... Will these newly downlaoded items work?... you get them home and find that they are no good, or willl not work because you have missed downloading an important dependency... Oh No!...

You then find yourself having to go back to your temporary Paintshed reskin for a while ntil you find out what the problem is with the one you downloaded from the DLS... or go back and look for that missing dependency.

In an ideal world one would not have to worry about getting an exciting new item on the DLS home and be confident that it will work for you providing you have downloaded all of the dependencies on the download page lost for that item...

It is not often that I get over to Adelaide but when I do, I often see rolling stock in a new livery that I had not previously seen, then I go home and try to create rolling stock in that livery using Paintshed... and that is where it comes in very handy.... at least while you are waiting for rolling stock to be added to the DLS in these new and previously unseen liveries, you can be doing your own in Paintshed, even though they may be only temporary...

I have done this with SCT, and CFCLA, and now that know the real identity of this other new one 'Coote Industries, I will be able to do some in that too...though rahter basic.... Painthed does give amateur reskinners like so many of us when we start out in Trainz or more experienced Paintshed reskinners the chance to at least.... produce their own temporary reskins.

Last edited:
I don't know why people keep saying "it's easier to reskin with a graphics manipulation program" when it's just not true. If you know what you're doing, it may be easier, and you may get better results, but that does not negate the beauty of Paintshed.

How can anyone seriously say Paintshed is not the easiest way to reskin a piece of rolling stock, unless they then add a qualifier or two to the statement?

I agree, plus there was more new custom content coming out when PS was around.

Back