New icon

I'm suddenly seeing a new icon that I've never seen before. It appears visibly on the track like one of the navigation icons does.

It's a yellow circle with a question mark in the middle of it. It also has 4 squares surrounding the question mark joined together by another circle.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Ohhh! I want one of them. How do I get one? Is it in Driver or Surveyor (Classic or S20?). Does it disappear when a consist reaches it?

More info needed please.

It appeared in VR Healesville - 1913-1920 TRS19 (Session: 01a introduction - Down Saturday Passenger Service)

When I arrived at Lilydale station.

I tried to paste a picture in here but I cannot see an icon for that?

Last edited:
I'm suddenly seeing a new icon that I've never seen before. It appears visibly on the track like one of the navigation icons does.

It's a yellow circle with a question mark in the middle of it. It also has 4 squares surrounding the question mark joined together by another circle.

Can anyone tell me what this is?
It could be a UFO location, event marker! Who knows. I mean, it is in the state of Victoria after all.

Navigation for what though? As per the screenshot there are 3 on the screen at the same time.

You can have just one Navigation Point visible or have many Navigation Points visible at the same time. That is not a problem.

As to the purpose of these new yellow (and other colour) icons, that is in the eye of the beholder (and somewhat of a mystery to me as well). The message that is displayed with each Navigation Point is far more crucial than the icon.

You can have just one Navigation Point visible or have many Navigation Points visible at the same time. That is not a problem.

As to the purpose of these new yellow (and other colour) icons, that is in the eye of the beholder (and somewhat of a mystery to me as well). The message that is displayed with each Navigation Point is far more crucial than the icon.
The other thing that doesn't quite make sense for me is that this is not a free roam session. If it was and you had a choice to use these then fair enough, but this is a fixed route session where you navigate to various stations as a passenger train.

Is there any way I can go into Surveyor to find out (I've never used Surveyor before though!)

The other thing that doesn't quite make sense for me is that this is not a free roam session.

Most of the sessions I create are not free roam sessions and they make extensive use of Navigation Points. That is the purpose of Navigation Points, to direct the user to the next destination or the next task (e.g. uncoupling) that has to be performed in a highly directed (the opposite of free roam) session. My free roam sessions do not contain any navigation points.

Is there any way I can go into Surveyor to find out (I've never used Surveyor before though!)

You can go into Surveyor by selecting the route, then click View Sessions, then select the session, then click Edit Session.

You would then have to open the Session Editor (select Edit Session from the main surveyor Edit Menu). I have had a look at how this particular session was set up and it is quite complex with many levels and sub levels. Far more complex than my own sessions. If you have never opened the Session Editor before then you will be in for a very steep learning curve.

Some primers (homework to complete before attempting to edit a session) from the Trainz Wiki Pages:-

How_to_Use_the_Session_Editor
How_to_Use_Navigation_Point_Rules
How_to_Use_Parent_and_Child_Rules

Last edited:

Understood. However they are not used in the session which is the bit I don't understand (i.e. so why are they there and more inquisitively what do they do! That's really what I was asking.)

Back