New CPU

I got a new computer as a Christmas present a little before I bought T:ANE (in fact, I was wanting the computer specifically so I could run T:ANE). Long story short, I changed my mind a few times, and I finally decided on my current computer. It has 2 TB HDD, 16 GB of RAM, and an AMD FX-8800P Radeon R7 with a max speed of 3.36 GHz. After looking up the CPU on Google, it said that it has eight cores, but Windows Task Manager says it has two cores with 4 logical processors. Anywho, when I run T:ANE, it tends to be a bit "laggy". So I decided to watch how the computer performed while running T:ANE. Pretty much every time the program started to lag, the CPU would always be at 100%, while the RAM would hover around 15%-20%. So I'm thinking I might buy a new CPU. I'm thinking an AMD that's noticeably better than the current one, but at the same time, not expensive; maybe a four or six core? Any suggestions?

Yes, I know, I could run T:ANE at lower performance settings and it would perform a lot better, but honestly, to me it isn't really worth having T:ANE if it doesn't look better than TS12.

Agreed, it is a decent GPU and not to be sneezed at.

Its a helluva lot better than the GPU I am running on this machine; most would say, "donate it to the museum", yet, I have no complaints.

My suspicion is it would help us to help you better if you were to share with us your trainz settings
that is, the Performance settings you have got. There are 10 settings in Performance, would you be able to share them in here?

Chances are you might get some advice about the lagging you are experiencing.

My suspicion is it would help us to help you better if you were to share with us your trainz settings
that is, the Performance settings you have got. There are 10 settings in Performance, would you be able to share them in here?

Chances are you might get some advice about the lagging you are experiencing.

Shadow Quality: Medium. Shadow Resolution: 4096. Texture Detail: High. Post Processing: Ultra. Water Quality: High. Antialiasing: 4x. Detail Update Rate: High. Use multiple render threads: Enabled. Use texture streaming: Enabled. Use PhysX simulation: Enabled. Process objects behind camera: Disabled (most of the time). Maximum Draw Distance: 6000m. Override Draw Distance Cap: Disabled. Scenery Detail: High. Tree Detail: High.

I know these are rather high settings, but like I said earlier, a big part of having T:ANE is the updated graphics. And if the graphics basically look like TS12's, then there's not much point in using it. (Sorry if I sound arrogant, but it's just my opinion.)

Shadows. Set them to low and you may be fine. I use an R9 270X paired with an i5 4690K and 16GBs of RAM and struggle with shadows set to medium. N3V have not optimised for AMD cards well at all, at least compared to Nvidia...

Shadows. Set them to low and you may be fine.

That actually seems to have helped. And I honestly can't really see a visual difference between the two (maybe because I haven't really made it a point to spot the differences), so that's a bit of a plus. lol

Last edited:
Back