New Computer: New Issues

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
Ok, so today, I got a good Vista PC from a good friend, and upon installing Trainz 2012, it does not want to run in DirectX mode, but runs in OpenGL. It does crash upon loading driver, but sometimes it's stable enough to run, but when it does crash, it comes up with a Microsoft C++ error. I made sure that Microsoft C++ was installed, and it was, and I made sure of DirectX, and it was installed. So, what could my problem be? :confused:

Perhaps the "Good" Vista PC, is a low end model, and does not have a separate, actual video card that plugs-in to the motherboard, and instead relies on an "onboard" video chip that is "Open GL" ... if so, such low end integrated graphics PC's will be lucky to be able to run 04 or 06, and will not run 09, 10, 12, nor T:ANE

Someone gave me their used DELL Vista integrated graphics laptop ... the keyboard needs replacement, the battery needs replacement (@ $40 in parts) ... and it surely won't run 09, 10, 12, nor T:ANE ... It might run 04, 06 ... but probably will be for general computing only.

Last edited:
I know the computer ran World of Warcraft when my friend had it, so you'd think that it'd run Trainz. I know that the one time I did get it barley running in OpenGL mode, Trainz ran at almost full framerates. The computer has a good card, but I can't figure out for the life of me what it is. I am getting the graphics card possibly replaced, and the computer wiped, and having Windows 7 going to be put on it today, so that might do the trick.

EDIT: The card that the computer currently has is a generic Intel card.

Last edited:
My Dell Inspiron 1545, just barely ran Trainz 2009 without Gamebooster installed. It had a Pentium T3400 dual core processor @ 2.16Ghz and an Intel GMA 4500mhd Media Accelerator. On average, Trainz 2009 ran around 10-20fps on routes with a good amount of detail. What are the specifications of your Dell laptop?

It's not a laptop. It's a Desktop PC. I really skimmed when taking a look at the specs, but I can't take a look at them ATM because the computer is getting redone with Windows 7. If all goes well, I should have the computer back tonight, and I should be able to say what the specs are.

Last edited:
Ok, I got the computer back, and the Nivida card from a scrapped dell XP computer that I've mentioned before actually worked on the computer. I also currently am installing Trainz, and once it gets installed, I'll see what happens, and post back if Trainz runs or not.

Trainz runs on the computer, and runs flawless. It is slightly a bit more laggy, but not by very much. The generic Intel card must of not had enough to run trainz, or even run DirectX 9 properly. All goes well now, thanks for those who tried to help. :)

EDIT: And just in case anyone was curious what kind of card the Nivida was, it was a Geforce series card.

Last edited:
Intel Graphics is not well supported in Trainz so you were lucky to even get it to barely run Open/GL.

It would be nice to list the complete specs of the video card. What Geforce card is it?

This information is helpful for the future should other problems arise.

John

Well, the computer is from around the late 2008 era (at a guess), so the Intel card was really bad. I am getting a new card for the computer today, as the Geforce card doesn't like some parts of the Internet, like our areas local weather site, Keloland, as it bluescreens on that, and when sleep mode is turned on.

Disable the power management and see if that fixes some of the problems with the crashing. Your hibernation file maybe corrupted and causing that problem.

Your video card doesn't like the internet graphics? This maybe more related to Flash or settings. Try different browsers such as Chrome and Firefox and see if they work instead.

It was a issue with the old Nividia Geforce 6500 card that I had put in there before. The new Nividia Geforce GT 610 card doesn't bluescreen if sleep mode is enabled, and I can load our area's local weather doppler just fine now.

It was a issue with the old Nividia Geforce 6500 card that I had put in there before. The new Nividia Geforce GT 610 card doesn't bluescreen if sleep mode is enabled, and I can load our area's local weather doppler just fine now.
A 610 is going to struggle to run trainz very well.

Actually, it's a new card. Just came out last month. It runs trainz with AMAZING performance. It handles Trainz much better then the Nividia Geforce 6500 card did.

Actually, it's a new card. Just came out last month. It runs trainz with AMAZING performance. It handles Trainz much better then the Nividia Geforce 6500 card did.
The 600 series of cards were 2012 cards if I remember correctly. The newest ones are the 900 series.

Actually, GT610 and 620 are just rebranded GT520s released in May 2012, all of which are actually slower than Intel HD3000 and HD4000 mobile graphics.

Brilliant how innovation makes what seem like fantastic things almost redundant shortly after their inception. The GT610 was never brilliant however, and was never designed to be.

Jack.

In my opinionated opinion, any NVidea card with the last 2 digits less than 50 no mater what series (400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900) is not a good choice for the likes of Trainz.

Back