New BR Mk1 coaches - thanks N3V!

I aquired these BR Mk1 coaches via the Tornado DLC pack which I gained access to by being treated to a free trial of Trainz Plus standard that is due to expire on March 19th '24. Installing the trial promoted my TRS22 standard install to TRS22 PE thus giving me access to the Tornado pack. I think it was very generous of N3V to sign me up for the TRS22 Plus trial especially considering I didn't actually have TRS22 PE initially!
Interesting how you say that Rob, as I don't recall a trial as such, but I too got upgraded to TRS22 PE around the same time! Your reskins look fantastic too! Perhaps N3V should bring you onto the team to speed up the process of making new liveries for the Mk1's, ;)
I'd be tempted to clone and try to throw my hat in the ring with the Mk1's too, but it's a bit baffling with the amount of errors that show up in Content Manager.
Regards,
Noah

... Your reskins look fantastic too! Perhaps N3V should bring you onto the team to speed up the process of making new liveries for the Mk1's, ;)
Thanks. I doubt if N3V could afford me!

JPSVyPO.jpg

All nearly there.

Rob.

Idea: after you finish them, offer to provide the reskins to N3V for inclusion in their next Mark One coaches package. That way other people could enjoy these fine reskins and you would be able to share them without copyright issues as you would be giving them to the people who currently hold that right and letting them redistribute the assets. Assuming that they agree, all you would need is a place to upload them to N3V privately.

@ZecMurphy, assuming that @robd is willing, would something like this work for N3V?

Idea: after you finish them, offer to provide the reskins to N3V for inclusion in their next Mark One coaches package. That way other people could enjoy these fine reskins and you would be able to share them without copyright issues as you would be giving them to the people who currently hold that right and letting them redistribute the assets. Assuming that they agree, all you would need is a place to upload them to N3V privately.

@ZecMurphy, assuming that @robd is willing, would something like this work for N3V?
Sorry, these are strictly for my own use only but thanks for the compliment!

Rob.

Edit: Please, does anyone know what colour the curtains would have been in BR mk1 Maroon 1st class compartments in the 1950's? I'm not sure if orange is appropriate for the era, some suggest dark blue.

Last edited:
Sorry, these are strictly for my own use only but thanks for the compliment!

Rob.
Quite understand your point Rob, but maybe you could push this a bit? As in - contact Zec; offer them to N3V and see if they could go into the Content Store? It would be a shame for your hard work not to be available to the community. Obviously they'd want to do QA before uploading, but at least this is putting BR Maroon on the table (and will it ever happen any other way?)

Paul

@Paulsw2, that`s what I had in mind, but if he doesn`t want to, that`s his right. I just don`t see any other way to spread the joy legally, so I suggested the one way that I thought it could be done. Of course, it takes both parties to make it work, and we haven`t heard anything from N3V`s representatives yet, so even if Rob changes his mind, it still could fall flat.

Hi Rob
It's great seeing you having fun with the MK1 cars! :) You've done some nice work on the reskins.

As you might have noted, they aren't really intended for reskinning/editing, but this is somewhat the case when working to make content as efficiently as possible :)

On that note, it's worth keeping in mind that some of those 'extra' files may be referenced across dependencies. ILIOSIN is very good at making the assets efficiently, and a big part of this is using textures as efficiently as possible across the components of a car. Of course some common parts may be separate, but there are plenty of cases where you'll find bogies, pantographs, and similar meshes in the loco asset as they share some common textures with the loco :)

We are working on fixes/updates for the MK1 cars, unfortunately some of our team have been off recently which has slowed this more than we had anticipated last year. They are very much in progress, it's just a matter of time to build/test/fix/repeat till they are ready to go. This will include fixes for the B4 bogies.

On that B4 bogies, if you are able to edit the bogie (I don't have a packaged install here to check right now, sorry!) there is a 'kin' file with the same name as the .trainzmesh file ('bt4_bogey_lod0_scene.kin' it looks like), try deleting the 'anim.kin' file and rename the other 'kin' file to be 'anim.kin'.

Regards
Zec

Hi Rob
It's great seeing you having fun with the MK1 cars! :) You've done some nice work on the reskins.

As you might have noted, they aren't really intended for reskinning/editing, but this is somewhat the case when working to make content as efficiently as possible :)

On that note, it's worth keeping in mind that some of those 'extra' files may be referenced across dependencies. ILIOSIN is very good at making the assets efficiently, and a big part of this is using textures as efficiently as possible across the components of a car. Of course some common parts may be separate, but there are plenty of cases where you'll find bogies, pantographs, and similar meshes in the loco asset as they share some common textures with the loco :)

We are working on fixes/updates for the MK1 cars, unfortunately some of our team have been off recently which has slowed this more than we had anticipated last year. They are very much in progress, it's just a matter of time to build/test/fix/repeat till they are ready to go. This will include fixes for the B4 bogies.

On that B4 bogies, if you are able to edit the bogie (I don't have a packaged install here to check right now, sorry!) there is a 'kin' file with the same name as the .trainzmesh file ('bt4_bogey_lod0_scene.kin' it looks like), try deleting the 'anim.kin' file and rename the other 'kin' file to be 'anim.kin'.

Regards
Zec
There you have it peoples, a reply from a N3V rep!

Thanks for the compliment Zec. It is quite rewarding to see how they turn out to be.

Glad to read you're (N3V that is) is working on updates for these models and thanks for the B4 bogie fix, I'll give it a try later on.

Rob.

Hi Zec, good to hear from you. I feel emboldened regarding my own reskins of these coaches!

Re. the B4 bogie - I'd already tried swapping round the filenames and deleting the anim.kin file. Sadly, it doesn't work. :(

Will there be a maroon version of these coaches? I think Rob's work points the way! :p

Last edited:
Hi Rob, good to hear from you. I feel emboldened regarding my own reskins of these coaches!

Re. the B4 bogie - I'd already tried swapping round the filenames and deleting the anim.kin file. Sadly, it doesn't work. :(

Will there be a maroon version of these coaches? I think Rob's work points the way! :p
I'm happy to read you'll continue with your reskins, from the pics you've posted they look good!

If my efforts to reskin them inspires N3V and the original creator to produce maroon versions then all well and good, no doubt they'd be better than my efforts!

I've tried the fix for the B4 bogie as mentioned by Zec Murphy and can confirm your findings, i.e... it doesn't work!

Rob.

Apologies Rob, my message was addressed to Zec (I've just edited it). In my enthusiasm I rushed to respond and didn't check. :oops:

Why do I have a feeling that, in future, N3V will make sure the textures are locked! 😉

Apologies Rob, my message was addressed to Zec (I've just edited it). In my enthusiasm I rushed to respond and didn't check. :oops:

Why do I have a feeling that, in future, N3V will make sure the textures are locked! 😉
No problem! You may be right about locked textures!

Rob.

Looks like some N3V BR Mk1 Maroon coaches are in the making according to the latest Trainz Newsletter. They appear to be included in a 'British Rail 9F Evening Star & Black Prince pack'

There's a screenshot of Evening Star with a rake of BR Maroons that look like reskins of the ILIOSIN models.

Rob.

Hi Rob

Regards
Zec
I'm really glad to hear that Zec! I just picked up the Platinum Edition of Trainz 22 and I couldn't be happier with the Mk1s and the Tornado that came with them! I work a lot with Barney Brass these days and I can say I really like the new UK Content you have been coming out with. The B4 Bogie issue was something I had been looking for a solution to for a while so I am extremely happy you posted this fix. I'll give it a shot immediately!!

While we're on the subject of reskins and variants, would you mind if I sent you a DM Regarding the BR Class 11 that was recently released? There is something I really really want to ask you about it if you don't mind.

Looks like some N3V BR Mk1 Maroon coaches are in the making according to the latest Trainz Newsletter. They appear to be included in a 'British Rail 9F Evening Star & Black Prince pack'

There's a screenshot of Evening Star with a rake of BR Maroons that look like reskins of the ILIOSIN models.

Rob.
Yes, I noticed that. Interesting to see the maroon Mk1s. I wonder if they're correcting the blue ones as well? Re. the 9F - I'm praying that Evening Star and Black Prince are not the only ones they're going to release from the class, otherwise that's two more niche locos to put on the shelf!

Paul

...I've come by these assets by way of a free trial of TRS22 Standard Plus until March 19th 2024 - a very kind gesture by N3V in this season of goodwill. If I don't subscribe to TRS22 Plus from 19th March '24 I will lose the originals as they'll be deactivated, I'm not sure if my clones will survive after the trial expires though, just have to wait and see!
Rob.
Well, the free trial is now over and I haven't taken up a subscription for TRS22 Plus but my N3V BR Mk1 clones remain completely intact in my reverted basic TRS22 retail version I'm happy to say!

Rob.

Back