Naughty Trainz.

nicky9499

SSoTW Bot
It's quite true I'm enraged now but I'll try to keep the tone civil.

Not for the first time TS09 has screwed itself and I have to go to great lengths to fix it. But this time I've really hit a brick wall.

About two weeks back the launcher refused to start altogether in Windows 7. The round loading thing would go around for a few seconds then act as though nothing has happened. Starting the individual exes from my install directory throws up a "Trainz/CMP has stopped working" error. Mind you, helpdesk has told me that only TS09 has Win7 support. Yea, right.

So (as I have always done when Trainz misbehaves), I backed everything up and reformatted. Setup everything nicely, installed Trainz. First run was fine. Second run was the same as above.

NEVER MIND. So I reformatted once more and left out Trainz. Threw in a new hard disk and put Vista on it (on which TS09 once ran happily) so now it's a Win7+Vista dual boot. Installed Trainz, and on the first run, I get the "stopped working" error!! This is a fresh Vista x86 install on it's own drive and Trainz fails to start on first launch! Additionally, if it is of any use, shortly after:

- All Catalyst Control Center modules (CCC, CLI, command line and all) fail and generate a 0x000somesillynumber error.
- System Restore fails due to 0x0070571; disk is corrupted and unreadable.

I'm quite lost for words and even more out of ideas. Will somebody from Auran please shed some light on this. It's not the first time Trainz has completely failed, but it's the first time even a reformat can't fix the bloody issue. Windows 7 has not been affected and I am not letting Trainz touch that.

Nicholas.

edit-
Although I'm vehemently against how TS2010 has been marketed, I will buy that if that one is sure to not give me such stupid nonsense like 09 is doing now.

Last edited:
Catalyst Control Center is ATIs driver software - I think you have a problem with your ATI drivers, not Trainz. The System Restore message is also not related to Trainz, but indicates there might be a disk error, or possibly faulty RAM is causing the system to become unstable.

I think you're being a bit too hasty in blaming Trainz for these errors.

I agree with Knight42, more than likely there is something up with hardware.

I have 09 and it ran with Vista 64bit just fine. When I upgraded to win7 64bit it performed even better. I'm running 2010EE now with no problems other than speedtree having some issues.

Randy

This may be worth a try, but it will take it's time: a disk error check.

Instructions for it are here : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors (these instructions are for Windows Vista, but Vista and 7 should work similar)

During the instructions, make sure you tick both boxes as per the instructions, then click Schedule disk check (then restart your system to start the disk check). Try running trainz after the disk check completes - if the problem persists, let us know.

Vista

Unless you did a factory restore for your machine (if its name brand like gateway, HP, Dell) then the likely cause is drivers. You might look at your MB overall chipset drivers if you really do not want to do the factory refresh and start there. Usually you can find the model on the MB and then go to the manufactures site and start DLing and installing all the drivers. May be the same situation for Win7 BTW.

Without the proper drivers you can get video card errors, CD errors, and even drive errors.

Best of luck!
E

Catalyst drivers are the latest from game.amd.com
(9-11_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu).

Hard drive in question is less than a year old (WD SATA 250GB) and was previously used as a standalone partition for MSTS without any problems at all. Just for the record, everything on this self-built machine works flawlessly.

But since you all think I'm kicking up a big fuss over nothing I will reformat once more, install Vista on it along with HD4850 and nForce 630a drivers. And post back. If it fails again then reformat, Win7.

Shane, I've checked the disk, and the only hitch was at the end when an error message appeared with something concerning the boot loader (too fast, I couldn't read all). Currently dual-booting 7 as primary and Vista for TRS. Assume it's okay because both do not use the legacy boot loader (ntldr).

Nonetheless, thanks all for the input.

Catalyst drivers are the latest from game.amd.com
(9-11_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu).

Hard drive in question is less than a year old (WD SATA 250GB) and was previously used as a standalone partition for MSTS without any problems at all. Just for the record, everything on this self-built machine works flawlessly.

But since you all think I'm kicking up a big fuss over nothing I will reformat once more, install Vista on it along with HD4850 and nForce 630a drivers. And post back. If it fails again then reformat, Win7.

Shane, I've checked the disk, and the only hitch was at the end when an error message appeared with something concerning the boot loader (too fast, I couldn't read all). Currently dual-booting 7 as primary and Vista for TRS. Assume it's okay because both do not use the legacy boot loader (ntldr).

Nonetheless, thanks all for the input.

Hi,
Just as a side note, I got a terrible performance drop when I installed the 9.11 Catalyst drivers. Haven't been able to find a solution yet.

/Fredrik

When all else fails - blame Trainz !!
So many times this is the case until I am sure all Trainzers feel the frustration that I do.

Nick,

You can read your scan disk information in the Administrator Event Viewer. Choose Application and Winlogon from under Windows Logs. You'll see something related to disk, and open up that event. You'll then be able to see the complete messaged that scrolled quickly off your screen.

John

Hi Jcitron, most are "The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavailable to handle a notification event." and two "Windows license validated." There is no sign of disk activity log. I'll try CHKDSK again and see if it comes up.

Hi Jcitron, most are "The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavailable to handle a notification event." and two "Windows license validated." There is no sign of disk activity log. I'll try CHKDSK again and see if it comes up.

This is correct. Run CHKDSK and let it do its thing. If it's not in Applications, I maybe mistaken, check System as well. The user is Winlogon though. I remember that.

It's been awhile since I've done tech stuff. I'm a music student now, and haven't fixed a computer since June. :)

John

It's okay John, I've reformatted the Trainz drive (again) but this time with Windows 7.

1. Installed Windows. Runs fine on preloaded drivers.
2. Installed Catalyst and graphic drivers. Runs fine as well.
3. Installed Trainz 2009. Runs fine so far.
4. Copied back Local folder.
5. Performed extended database repair.
6. Launched Trainz. Runs fine so far. I was even able to drive my route.

That was last night. This morning, I tried to launch again and was (bloody, if you will) dismayed and annoyed to find that the "nothing doing" issue was back. See here also.

So there. Fresh install of Windows, nothing else, latest drivers, sufficient disk space, sufficient memory and more than sufficient graphics and processing juice.
I'm sorry, but I doubt anyone would fancy the idea of an OS reinstall everytime he or she wants to play Trainz. Ron, you still think Windows or my rig is at fault?

Seriously, what am I doing wrong?

edit-
Attempting to run the individual exe (CMP, CCP, trainz) will result in "___has stopped working" error (essentially the same as send-don't-send in XP):

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\nicky9499\AppData\Local\Temp\WER5003.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\nicky9499\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9A4C.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\nicky9499\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9A9B.tmp.mdmp

Trainzdiag and Trainzutil run fine.
Have tried running trainz.exe in Admin, XP SP2/3 compat mode, granting all permissions to user account. No go.

Last edited:
Guys? Brew-crew? Is there really no one out there who's experienced this before or can provide some input? At this point anything is worth trying; at least better than sitting around.

:(

Do other more resource intensive games run fine on your computer? Try that out and see. I think some people forget that Trainz has its fair share of glitches and such...It takes some time to wrangle the program into operation...

Nah, Trainz is beautiful....

:cool: I just did a reinstall of Vista after two years of use....

I can't get websites to recognise me, I have to log on for each one...they are trusted websites, my popup blocker is turned off on each one...

I have to go to the Start Menu, Auran, TS2009 to start 'o9.

It will work itself out, but it's not Trainz....

I have UAC turned off also.

Trains is installed on C:\TS2009.

Do other more resource intensive games run fine on your computer? Try that out and see. I think some people forget that Trainz has its fair share of glitches and such...It takes some time to wrangle the program into operation...

Yes, and quite well too. Crysis, Far Cry 2, GRID, DIRT, FUEL run as smooth as silk all at 1680x1050. Even FSX (with horrible game engine in comparism) can manage 20fps at 1280x800 at high settings. Trainz arguably belongs in the latter category and while I'm fine with that what baffles me now is that it won't run normally like it used to.

Backyard, this is normal because your cookie for each website (containing your login credentials) have been lost. And because Windows has been returned to it's original state it's logical that some of your customizations such as shortcuts and start menu items also need to be setup again.

Strange though, UAC should be on by default. In fact, it's a pain to turn off.

...Just as a side note, I got a terrible performance drop when I installed the 9.11 Catalyst drivers. Haven't been able to find a solution yet....

Interesting, I've just installed an XFX/ATI HD4650 and the latest drivers expecting a performance boost over my old card and am getting terrible FPS in OpenGL, DirectX just won't work.... XFX (having declared one card faulty) are now blaming my hardware so I'm getting nowhere. Time to look for older drivers???

Interesting, I've just installed an XFX/ATI HD4650 and the latest drivers expecting a performance boost over my old card and am getting terrible FPS in OpenGL, DirectX just won't work.... XFX (having declared one card faulty) are now blaming my hardware so I'm getting nowhere. Time to look for older drivers???

The new driver acctually gave me an performance boost in other programs such as EVE Online but when I run TS2009 there seems to be somthing hoging the system. Changing the resolution doesn't make any difference either.
I don't know if it's TS or somehing else that's acting up but I only experience it in TS2009, Trains 2006 runs smoothly.

/Fredrik

win 7

I have been running win7 ultimate 64 RC7100 since it's release and have had only one problem which was resolved with an extended database repair.

system

asus p5q deluxe
intel e8400 3.oGhz
G. Skill pc2-6400 4GB
radeon hd 3850
seagate 160GB

nzld

Have read that a resent win7 update has been causing random black screens off death, but not on all systems

I've uninstalled Trainz (SHIFT+DEL the Auran directory after Control Panel uninstall). Reinstalled. First run (launched from installer) was okay. Quit. Started again.

Nothing happens.
icon8.gif

Back