trainz 2009 will not launch following reset

SwanseaJack

I was happily running 2009 until my PC decided to reset itself. Now I am unable to launch it. I click the Icon on my desktop. The little whirly thing appears for a few seconds - then nothing ! (I was using the content manager at the time)

Any help or advice would be very welcome.

Is your Trainz installation running on an independent drive or partition? If so, I'd advise a reformat as the quickest and least troublesome way of getting around this. Of course, remember to pull out your Local folder (and assets.tdx if you don't want a database rebuild after reinstall).

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

I am running trainz from my main drive C: - do not fancy a reformat :)

If I re-install it will I lose the layout I was working on ?

I am running trainz from my main drive C: - do not fancy a reformat :)

If I re-install it will I lose the layout I was working on ?

Copy your local folder to a diffierent location. This will save your assets.

After you install, import the local folder back in and commit your content.

Hope this helps.

John

Since you say it's inconvenient to reformat, try completely uninstalling Trainz. After uninstallation from the Control Panel, navigate to C:\Program Files\ and SHIFT+DEL the entire Auran folder. (Holding shift key is so that it will be deleted instead of being sent to the Recycle Bin and wasting space). Then install again. If this still doesn't work, then I feel you.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

waiting till forever seemes to help

I myself have had that same problem time and time again. It seems to almost have to rebuild the database before it will recover. The larger your data the longer it takes. I have sometimes had to wait up to an hour before it would return. I only have a 1.5 gb processor so I will need to upgrade soon, as the data base is growing daily. as long as the screen stays open then wait it out.
works for me.:p

Thanks for the replies. Worked !

Pity there is no feedback to advise the user that the database is being rebuilt.

The task manager was my only indication.

Hi SwanseaJack, what were the steps you took to resolve the issue? I'm unable to start either CM2 or Trainz, so I don't understand how you managed to rebuild the content database?

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Running Vista Home premium 32bit. Dell with pentium dual@1.6 2Gig - (frame rates mainly ok - but stuttering on occasions)

Step 1 - Make backup directory

Step 2 - move local folder into this

Step 3 - move assets.tdx also

Step 4 - uninstall tr2009

Step 5 - re-install it - don't forget to have serial number handy

step 6 - move local folder into new installation

step 7 - move asset.tdx also

step 8 - launch tr2009 - nothing seems to happen but check your task manager.

step 8 - write novel or other suitable activity

step 9 - return to working installation (with a bit of luck)

Last edited:
Back