National Train Day(Amtrak)

amtrak2041864

High Speed Rail!!
Well once a year Amtrak has this thing called National Train Day and to promote that day they created a video. And I must say, even though Amtrak is not world class standard of how intercity travel should be but Amtrak does what no other country's national railroad have been able to do, experience what railroading is about, connect people see new things and experience what rail travel real is. That is why Amtrak have been able to survive 40 years. I bet people hate Amtrak because it is slow and unreliable but go out and experience it for yourself, why real travel is such a great way to travel. Don't get me wrong people have places to go people to see but have you really stopped and smelled the roses. You might find a hidden Jem. Trainz lover Amtrak2041864, but boy I love Amtrak

Well, I would firstly say amtrak2041864 that one cannot but fully acknowledge your obvious love of Amtrak and understandably fair enough. The clip itself is very good too so no probs with either! What is a wee bit over the top is the assertion that no other country in the world can match the US train passenger train scene and falls into the corner that "we are better than everyone else."! It may not be intended but it shows. You are also correct that it is something that Amtrak has lasted 40 years after the railways in the US were keen to dump the passenger side and on top of that and ever since there have been strong enemies. As there is no seeming alternative, I really do hope that your Amtrak services continue (and expand) being a strong railway supporter in my country which is amongst the busiest in the world group. So I have tried to give a balanced comment and compliment you on your loyalty whilst reminding you not to let that contradict what is world fact that others can and do better. :)

Well said, Bobby.

Amtrak, like any organization or individual, can always do better then they currently are at. They are nowhere close to being perfect and still have along way to go to reach much better service. On many routes west of the NEC, they have reliability problems due to shared trackage with the freight railroads. The freight railroads own the ROW, and Amtrak is a guest so the passenger trains run as extras and are subject to a lower priority. This is the opposite where Amtrak owns the ROW in the Northeast on the Northeast Corridor (NEC). This is one of the major causes of delays on their routes. There is also a darth of trains in the Midwest corridor. Granted they are working on HSR through the St. Louis/KC corridor, but there should be more frequent regular trains. A 3-days a week between Chicago and KC isn't quite what I would call frequent. The other issue too is they don't connect the major cities in the region such as Wichita to Oklahoma City or Kansas City to Oklahoma City. OKC is one of the largest central-cities in the lower Midwest and serves as a crossroads between Texas cities and the east to west main lines of the Union Pacific and other lines.

These issues became most apparent recently when I setup a storm chasing trip with my friends out in Oklahoma this coming May. Oklahoma City is about 1800 miles from Boston. Rather than fly out there, I looked into taking Amtrak as that would have been an interesting trip. I could have seen the eastern half of the US from Boston to Chicago then south. Going back would have been across Ohio and through the Appalachian and Allegany mountain ranges, and up through the famous Sand Patch curve as we head through Pittsburg on my way north. This sounded grand, but there are some problems here -- reliability and no direct connections. The Lakeshore Limited, which is a main leg on my way to Oklahoma goes from Boston to Chicago. This is about 986 miles. This is a 23 hour trip, and the train is usually late. So late in fact that it's garnered the name of "Lateshore Limited"! Now the next leg is a real stickler. Instead of going to Wichita, KS, or even Kansas City, MO then heading southeast to OKC, I then have to go all the way to Fort Worth Texas. That trip is another 994 miles, or another 23 hours on the Texas Eagle. The TE has a better runtime, but it's also usually late. The final stickler is I would have to bypass a southeast connection then take the Heartland Flyer from Fort Worth north again to Oklahoma City for another 4-1/2 hours. The total length of time on the trains would have been 59-1/2 hours each way. With the less than stellar on-time performance, I have to leave 3-days early to ensure my arrival time is early enough for my May storm chase, and this still doesn't guarantee I'll get in with enough lead time. As it is, I'll end up arriving, if the trains are on-time at 9:39pm, so who knows what time I'd get in on May 4th when my trip begins. So having said that, this means I have to get in a day early and pay extra for another hotel room out of my pocket. The cost of the train trip was $464 roundtrip, which sounds good. It is since it's about $110 - $120 less than a flight from Boston to OKC via Chicago. The hotel cost is another $90 - $110 for the extra night, so the travel costs are a wash then. The same trip, as done by air, will be 6-hours and is usually on or close to on-time.

I wasn't looking for a non-stop to OKC from Boston. I know that there's no way to make the trip in 6-hours since we're going over land instead of in the air, but at least a more direct route that was a bit more reliable is something that is needed. If Amtrak can match their on-time performance, like they have on the NEC, along with more frequent service, then they will gain more customers.

John

A very practical appraisal by all accounts there John (as I roughly knew but your detail confirms) about the lack of an adequate service. A couple of trains a week or one a day (wow!). Although we are a much smaller country even on long distance runs of over 400 miles, etc, there are several trains a day and we should consider that access to cars here is about 70 - 75% yet the railways are being squeezed due to heavy passenger use. Now we need longer trains and longer platforms to go with them in the pipeline. Even other big places like China and Russia (even bigger) are way in front of America. I I suspect if amtrak2041864 now he has had the vision widened his poor eyes would pop at GB ranking with the top countries providing a heavily used and supplied railway for passengers! :)

Bobby

I'm missing something, here, JCitron. There is daily service between Chicago and KC, in fact, between Chicago and Newton, KS (30 miles from Wichita), so I'm not clear why you would choose to route Boston > Chicago > Fort Worth > OKC, and drive a couple hundred miles to Wichita, instead of Bostson > Chicago > Newton KS, and drive 30 miles to Wichita. Southwest Chief (Chicago > Newton) is daily both directions, and the time between trains both directions is about 6 hours. Both according to current timetables (effective January 2013 for LakeShore Ltd, and March 2013 for Southwest Chief).

ns

It's the completely illogical way they run trains, I guess. We were planning on going to Atlanta by train this fall, we would have left from Fort Worth and gone to Atlanta. I can't recall the exact way Amtrak would have routed us, but they had us doing something like going all the way to Chicago before retracing our steps south to St. Louis and going east from there, IIRC. It seems like there were one or two more out-of-the-way detours we would have taken. Even if I don't recall correctly, it was something crazy like that. Who thinks up this stuff?? We didn't need a scenic route, we just needed to get to where we were going and ride the train to do it.

Suffice it to say, we're not going to Atlanta by train this fall.

I'm missing something, here, JCitron. There is daily service between Chicago and KC, in fact, between Chicago and Newton, KS (30 miles from Wichita), so I'm not clear why you would choose to route Boston > Chicago > Fort Worth > OKC, and drive a couple hundred miles to Wichita, instead of Bostson > Chicago > Newton KS, and drive 30 miles to Wichita. Southwest Chief (Chicago > Newton) is daily both directions, and the time between trains both directions is about 6 hours. Both according to current timetables (effective January 2013 for LakeShore Ltd, and March 2013 for Southwest Chief).

ns

I was using Amtrak's own routing to get me to OKC. There is no direct service to OKC from any city other than the N-S routing from Fort Worth. The other issue to is I can no longer drive long distances due to Parkinson's disease. I have the stiffness-prominent kind, not the tremor kind, along with some unrelated back problems. This causes extreme pain and fatigue along with numbness in my extremities. If I were to drive that distance, I'd be an unsafe driver because I'd begin to fall asleep at the wheel. The medication too doesn't help matters either on top of that. So rather than be a road hazard, I'd rather stay put on a train or plane then drive.

The other issue is the unreliability of the LS LTD. This is the only direct train from Boston to Chicago. This has become the Late Shore Ltd. due to how it's late about 80% of the time. With other connections on my trip, and the fact I had to be in OKC by May 4th, there's no way I could get there in time. I looked at going other ways, but they all went to Chicago first then south. I had thought I could go to Cleveland and then head out on another route to KC and pick-up the Texas Eagle. That was impossible and ended up on the Texas Eagle anyway out of Chicago.

I am quite familiar with the journey from Wichita to OKC. I did that a few years ago with my storm chasing group. I think we took Route 27, or was that Route 20, but that was a long trip south. I remember going through Greensburg, KS on the way. That's the city that was nearly wiped off the map on May 4, 2007. I'm glad I wasn't driving that long trip.

I agree, Ulmer. This is some absurd way to run trains. How about a practical point-to-point service with actual schedules? The scenic route is nice, but that's for those that have the time.

John

My passenger rail company from time to time has a manager or regional official, occasionally a team at important locations to for the public to speak to them so maybe that is an area Amtrak needs to think about if someone tells them! One would naturally assume a business organisation would be more sensible in what they are running and as John said all very well to run a tourist thing but getting people not on holiday from A to B must be an inclusion. The basic concept of rail wasn't tourism but sensible travel. Methinks I would need to add frustration if living over the pond!

Bobby

@ulmer94

Get to Houston, take the Sunset Limited to New Orleans. From there, take the Crescent to Atlanta. Maybe even spend a night in New Orleans. :)

Cheers

AJ

Back