Narrow gauge screenshots

Norm

I left the PBR stuff on Trainzone as it was versioned for the early builds. The content on the DLS is all the same but updated and uploaded to the DLS, most for build number 2.9, what I have just uploaded is versioned for 3.5. I think I should go through them, and update them to 3.5 before the limit changes.

The Garratt looks good there, but the scene is not mountain Victoria. I think your consist is missing the cattle truck. Actually, there was a VR 30 line that ran through that sort of country between Wangaratta and Whitfield, probably that one was built with cost in mind ços there are no real hills.

Peter

That shot of the #42 was taken on the Moe - Walhalla line just outside of Moe and the consist is from ntesdorf's session for that route.

Here is a neat bit from the Moe yard.

Apparently when the VR needed to shuffle rolling stock from one narrow gauge line to another they just rolled the locomotives onto SG (BG?) flat cars and moved them. I have not checked ntesdorf's other routes to see if they have the same facilities. :D

Last edited:
Here are some hill shots for you Peter. #42 hauling lumber down to Moe. She is pulling a 2.4% grade into Plantina and facing a 3.2% grade leaving.

I don't know the route well enough to find a really scenic spot and besides I'm missing a ton of assets.

Last edited:
I didn't know that the Moe-Walhalla line existed in Trainz but then, I never looked as hard as you have. That shot of the Platina yard seems to be a faithful copy of the original. Way back in time I managed to get a copy of the definitive story of the four lines, "SPEED LIMIT 20", and have been in love with them ever since. The NA's were originally transported with BG bogies replacing the normal pilots and the dead loco was hauled back to Melbourne works as a special train. Later they built a special transporter with tracks on the flat bed which mated up with the ramp.

The Garratt was split up into sections when it went in for service. The Garratt only ran on the Colac-Crows line, I must check, that may exist as a Trainz route.

Thank you, you are digging up stuff I didn't know was there.

Peter

I didn't know that the Moe-Walhalla line existed in Trainz but then, I never looked as hard as you have. That shot of the Platina yard seems to be a faithful copy of the original. Way back in time I managed to get a copy of the definitive story of the four lines, "SPEED LIMIT 20", and have been in love with them ever since. The NA's were originally transported with BG bogies replacing the normal pilots and the dead loco was hauled back to Melbourne works as a special train. Later they built a special transporter with tracks on the flat bed which mated up with the ramp.

The Garratt was split up into sections when it went in for service. The Garratt only ran on the Colac-Crows line, I must check, that may exist as a Trainz route.

Thank you, you are digging up stuff I didn't know was there.

Peter

ntesdorf has done every one of the VR narrow gauge routes except the PBR line, including the horse cart route.

<kuid:224165:1144> Wangaratta-Whitfield
<kuid:224165:1374> port welshpool
<kuid:224165:2053> Colac to Crowes 3
<kuid:224165:2188> Moe to Walhalla 2

So far as I can tell from a distance they are quite accurate.

According to Wiki "G41 spent its entire life on the Crowes line, whilst G42 was originally allocated to the Walhalla line, then transferred to the Crowes line, and is currently running on the Puffing Billy Railway. G41 was scrapped, after having been extensively cannibalised for parts to keep G42 running in the last years of the Crowes line."

BTW each route is missing around 40 or so assets, these seem to include textures and a large number of sirgibby assets I have not identified all but some were apparently built-in in earlier versions of trainz.

Last edited:
Colac also has a loading ramp for locomotives/rolling stock and it appears that it is laundry day there.

As I suspected the missing assets were mostly textures and mostly from Sirgibby. Now I have to go through and transfer them from TS12 to TANE and then fix the dreaded green and whites.

Nice shots Normhart. Good to see more of the PBNG stuff.

Actually I've kinda dropped the Puffing Billy stuff to concentrate on the VRNG stuff since the PB route is incomplete and the 4 routes by ntesdorf are complete and fun. I will steal all narrowgauge's PB rolling stock though. :hehe:

Now that I've gotten sirgibby's textures working the routes looks much better and I'm going to be playing with the Moe-Walhalla route a lot.

Note that ntesdorf is apparently using dirt roads and trails as muddy water, something I haven't seen before.

Moe has the best dual gauge yard of anything I've seen in trainz so far with several freight interchange industries and several shared railroad assets like a shared turntable.

Since the Walhalla route was in operation from 1910 to 1944 I am a little puzzled by some aspects of the trainz route. ntesdorf used kilometer speed limits, had the Victorian Railway converted to metric that early?
He also used lots of modern (current day) assets; cars, semi trucks, traffic, etc. and I'm probably going to replace those with wecsailor's / sirgibby's cars and traffic region.

Trees are an issue since, as with most Aussie routes, there are primarily Gum trees and there are not any SpeedTree Gums that I have found. I'll probably replace them with Acacia and Eucalyptus since that seems to have worked on another route.

Last edited:
I think most of Billegulla's VR steam locos were modelled as SG, and there's a few others. You're right though, there aren't as many as you might expect.

Interesting, were the VR routes through Moe, Wangaratta, and Colac SG or BG? ntesdorf has them all as SG. (my intention is to see how well I can bring the Walhalla route to around 1920-1930 ish.)

Ah of course, I had forgotten Billegulla's work. Thanks!

Edit: Oh yes, Billegulla's locomotives look fine there! Thanks again.

Last edited:
Norm

I was wrong with my comment about the Garratt. I should have checked my facts first.

Your question about gauges. In that era they would have been broad gauge. Standard gauge came a lot later and even then only on a few interstate lines

I have a heap of VR narrow gauge things that I made for the Colac - Crowes line including MPH speed sigs and mile posts. If I can find them, big IF, I'll send them to you. They would apply to the Moe line just as well. They were made as 2010 vintage so some may need reworking.

Peter

Thanks Peter, Got them and am comparing them to what ntesdorf used many are very similar. For now I think I'll leave the standard gauge track I need an excuse to run Billegulla's equipment. :D

Now for something completely different,

Northbay County; the top one is with Auran Speedtrees, mostly Doug. Fir with Conifers, spruce mixed in and most bushes replaced with trees. The bottom is mcguirel's Ponderosa Pines Payware exclusively but with bushes replaced with Auran bushes. I've modified the pines to 40-50 meter height.

I didn't do a very good match on the environmental settings.

The original route with mostly dmdrake's Ponderosa Pines note the Auran trees that have been replaced by speedtree versions automatically.

Last edited:
Nice shots Normhart, I might just try out the PBNG route when I get off work I've haven't touched that route since my 06 days

@Normhart- Some beautiful shots there! The shadows in that 2nd shot...that's cruelty to computers, that is!

Here's some South African NG power, in Wales:
146830442b3a736b6cf452d415926319.jpg

6fa976729ed4b5548cfa29f096f47a37.jpg

8fc33333e3357c0e4930a0c9ff4de53f.jpg

1fff21be2690460b5384a7756281454d.jpg

e31e26f0e7b380a1399c2509ee78e6bd.jpg

Nice shots Nathan. I'm really starting to like that route you are making the more and more I see it. :) your doing a fantastic job on it.

Back