N3V - Please consider this

Status
Not open for further replies.

aardvark1

Senior Citizen Member
There have been several 'spam' posts today for electronics and other advertising posts.

Could you consider a new Forum Page exclusively for NON registered posters (no Trainz version showing registered) and a place for future 'spam' posts.

This would allow potential new customers to ask legitimate questions about Trainz, and confine 'spam' posters to one Forum page.

This would require Forum Admin to change some ways about how non-registered users access the forum, and hopefully stop the need for registered Trainz users from asking these people to enter their registration information.

This would also confine 'spam' to one area to help the Mods from searching for these types of posts.

As the Trainz Community grows, it may help everyone long term.

I am sure this will not be possible, it was just a thought on my part.

Thank you for reading this post.

Regards,
Ron

Last edited:
It's a good idea Ron, but there is one complication.

Trainz Ipad and Trainz Android users do not have serial numbers they can register.

For your idea to work, these versions would also require serial numbers to be given.

Shane

It's a good idea Ron, but there is one complication.

Trainz Ipad and Trainz Android users do not have serial numbers they can register.

For your idea to work, these versions would also require serial numbers to be given.

Shane

Shane,

This is correct, but then the Mods could move them to the appropriate Mac forums when they are available.

Regards,
Ron

Apart from that, it sounds a good idea.

Shane

P.S. It appears that the majority of trouble users advertising-wise are either from the far east (India) or Nigeria. Perhaps N3V could look into whether their forum software can allow moderation of postings from these countries.

Or alternatively recruit a moderator who is around during daytime in the Northern Hemisphere?

Daytime in the northern hemisphere is exactly the same time as daytime in the corresponding part of the southern hemisphere. What you really meant was a moderator who was in the same time zone as Canada/USA/Europe - given that that in itself is a very broad range of time zones. This hypothetical moderator would have to spend their entire working day (or even waking time) prowling all the forums. In any case it would not solve the problem (spam messages hanging around until removed by a moderator), only transfer it from one set of time zones to another.

The other suggestion of special forums for non-registered users would only work if the spammers co-operated by posting their spam messages there (not likely). Banning non-registered users from posting to registered user forums could be counter productive - there are a number of non-registered users who have been assisted in the process of registering by advice given in those forums.

Peter Ware

There have been several 'spam' posts today for electronics and other advertising posts.

Could you consider a new Forum Page exclusively for NON registered posters (no Trainz version showing registered) and a place for future 'spam' posts.

This would allow potential new customers to ask legitimate questions about Trainz, and confine 'spam' posters to one Forum page.

This would require Forum Admin to change some ways about how non-registered users access the forum, and hopefully stop the need for registered Trainz users from asking these people to enter their registration information.

This would also confine 'spam' to one area to help the Mods from searching for these types of posts.

As the Trainz Community grows, it may help everyone long term.

I am sure this will not be possible, it was just a thought on my part.

Thank you for reading this post.

Regards,
Ron

hey ron, hows it going.

as for your idea, what if for every session you would log into, a question would pop up, like a picture of a gp 38 would pop up and the question would be "How many bogeys does this locomotive have?" and the answer would be 2. if you got it wrong, it wouldnt let you in un till you answered correctly.

Over the years I've noticed very little spam in these forums. My opinion is that a change isn't really needed. Besides, spam posts allow for witty responses sometimes that make the rest of us smile before they are deleted.;)

Over the years I've noticed very little spam in these forums. My opinion is that a change isn't really needed. Besides, spam posts allow for witty responses sometimes that make the rest of us smile before they are deleted.;)

After I thought more about it, my post was useless.

My only concern was that someone might logon to the links shown in these posts and get hacked.

Sorry for wasting time for all.

Regards,

Note: Mods requested to lock this thread and let it die in peace.

I thought the helpdesk at maximum alert level was for that ---->

Oh no, that wouldn't work, as you would have to wait & wait & wait & wait & wait (repeat 5 waits twice) for a reply from the HelptheHelplessHelpDesk!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back