N&W Y6a Mallet No. 2156 said to be heading back to Roanoke this month

wva-usa

Rumors are claiming that the big Norfolk & Western Y6a Mallet No. 2156 will be leaving the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis on Saturday, May 9th, to begin its journey back to its birthplace in Roanoke, Virginia, as part of a 5 yr. "loan" agreement.

5068.1414193819.jpg

Other rumors say that sometime after the Y6a's arrival in Roanoke and the N&W No. 611 is back home (at the end of May), a special photo op' will be staged in Roanoke to reenact the WWII era N&W "family portrait" publicity photo shown below, with N&W Class A 2-6-6-4 No. 1218 being rolled out of the Va. Museum of Transportation to take up a spot on the outside track.

norfolk.jpg

Developing... ;)

Last edited:
I heard that it was part of a 'loan-swap' between the Virginia Transportation Museum and the Museum of Transportation: The VTM will loan their FTB to the MofT and they (MofT) would loan #2156 in return.

I'd heard the same thing about the FT B-unit, Jordon. But I never could find anything confirming it. Dunno.

N&W No. 2156 left St. Louis on Saturday. Joining the N&W Mallet for the trip is the freshly painted auxiliary tender VMTX #250001, the auxiliary tender that will be used behind the newly restored N&W #611 J on this year's excursions. The auxiliary tender was reported painted by Norfolk Southern and sports a maroon stripe and N&W lettering. Also tagging alone for the trip back to Roanoke is Norfolk Southern business cars No. 20, "Ohio", and No. 44, "Florida", plus the restored N&W tool car No. 1407, which is owned by the Roanoke MRHS which I believe had served as tool car for both N&W #611 and #1218 in years gone by.

You can watch No. 2156 and her entourage on the video below, starting at about 3:37.

Here is the video I was able to get when we went out. Got pictures of that UP flat car local down near sulphur avenue as well.

Will 2156 just be a static display or is there a chance she will feel fire in her belly again?

Dave

Will 2156 just be a static display or is there a chance she will feel fire in her belly again?

Dave

Always a chance, but I would suggest not holding your breath. 5 Year lease puts them just past the end of the 2019 150th Anniversary of the Golden Spike. Rumor has it that it is this event that motivated the rich, anonymous, third party to help fund the restoration of 4014, and IIRC the VA Transportation museum has straight up mentioned its their goal to attend some planned event that year for it, or something to that effect. There's been mentions of trying to get much of the nations remaining operating (And by this even non-operating) steam locomotives together in one place for some kind of grand celebration.... In speculation one could hypothesize that alot of the more recent momentum to restore non-operating steam seems to be motivated at least in part, but this is almost all speculation and rumor....

After that only thing I know for sure is I'm too poor to be able to afford to attend such a do.....

-Falcus

Dave

There are many who would love to see No. 2156 running again. But then there are also many who'd love to see No. 1218 running. Once No. 611 is back in Roanoke I do expect the Transportation Museum will stage some special "photo ops" that feature 2156 and 611, probably along with 1218.

But for now, the main focus during the Summer of 2015 will likely be #611 and her excursions, although I expect ground will probably be broken on a new $2-million dedicated maintenance facility for #611 in Roanoke, that will also serve as a "steam education" facility, and likely offers tours and "classes" for the public.

Maybe, just maybe, towards the end of the year, after the excursions have ended and #611 is settling in for the winter months in her new maintenance faculty, we'll hear something about a new committee being named to investigate the possibility of firing up a 2nd N&W locomotive. Which loco could be restored easier? No. 1218 or No. 2156? No one knows at this point. Once you figure out what to restore and what it'll cost, then you can work on a plan. Once again, the main obstacle will probably be money -- money for the restoration and money to sustain operation. Sustaining operation usually means raising money, at least in part, by offering excursions.

I think all of the NS steam excursions have to share the same train, e.g., the passenger cars that make up the NS excursion trains. More excursions would basically mean more money for maintaining more locomotives, but at this point I'm not sure if more excursions are even possible, given the limited number of cars available, the have to be shared by several different locomotives.

I'd love to see a fall steam excursion from Charleston, WV up along the old NYC tracks along the Kanawha to Deepwater, and from there, over the old Virginian route to Princeton (or Bluefield) and return to Charleston, for example. They could probably easily sell enough tickers for several 25 car passenger trains, but right now at least, I expect they'd be hard pressed to find enough passenger cars for such a trip.

So who knows? Time will tell I suppose...

Last edited:
Either way hopefully 611 comes through STL and possible St. Peters so we can catch her too.

Theres one issue I think that will hold back anyone in the east restoring big articulated's to power more then any other. R.o.W. reduction. NS hasn't done quite as much of this as CSX has, but a few from the companies back there have mentioned this as being a pretty big hurdle to getting large stream running again, particularly in the South, but elsewhere as well. I think 1218 would work out better then 2156 in this regard either way.

After that, 1218 vs 2156? Easy answer there... Both 611 and 1218 were part/most of the way through rebuilds when NS Cancelled its Steam Programs. 611 was actually more finished with this then 1218, which is a large reason why she got through her recent rebuild so quickly. 1218 otoh was less assembled. Theres been a few stories floating around about how the VA Transport Museum found 1218's Crown Sheet in her Tender because it had been removed as part of this (611 was further along). Last I heard there was some issue with a "Boxcar of 1218 Parts" that had gone missing however, and I have no idea where that ended up, though I had read somewhere it had been found somewhere unexpected. Either way, 1218 was in running condition, and had had alot of work done on her to keep her that way, much more recently then 2156 and to higher standards..... That alone makes me think 1218 would be the better candidate. Combine it with the R.o.W. reduction issues.... Yea... Not that I wouldn't love to see a Y6-b return, and an Allagheny, and another locomotive some rich mysterious benefactor would care to shell out for (Because thats really what its going to take for most of these locomotives, same as 4014).....

And hey, at least C&O 1309 is supposed to be otw to returning to steam as well yea?

-Falcus

No. 611 wasn't being rebuilt when NS canceled their steam program in late-1994. No. 611 pulled the last NS steam excursion on December 7, 1994. Some work had been scheduled to be performed on No. 611 during 1995 but after the steam program was canceled it was not done.

No. 1218's last run under steam was during 1991 and she was being rebuilt when the NS steam program ended. The "missing boxcar of parts" is pretty much the stuff of legends as is the belief that 1218's "boiler is completely empty now." My understanding is that the only "missing pieces" are its boiler tubes and superheater return pipes which were scheduled to replacement when the steam program ended. These parts can be fabricated, which is normally what happens during a complete rebuild of a steam locomotive.

No. 611 wasn't being rebuilt when NS canceled their steam program in late-1994. No. 611 pulled the last NS steam excursion on December 7, 1994. Some work had been scheduled to be performed on No. 611 during 1995 but after the steam program was canceled it was not done.

No. 1218's last run under steam was during 1991 and she was being rebuilt when the NS steam program ended. The "missing boxcar of parts" is pretty much the stuff of legends as is the belief that 1218's "boiler is completely empty now." My understanding is that the only "missing pieces" are its boiler tubes and superheater return pipes which were scheduled to replacement when the steam program ended. These parts can be fabricated, which is normally what happens during a complete rebuild of a steam locomotive.

Alright, having done some digging, you're right about 611. Did find this:
It's no surprise that 611's front engine truck wheels (the leading or first 4 wheels of the locomotive) are due for replacement. The work on the Class J 611's truck wheels was scheduled in 1994, but instead, NS' steam excursion program ended, and the locomotive returned to her home at the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke.
- from VMT Itself at some point supposedly. So I don't feel its was that big a mistake to make for someone that was 10 years old at the time and on the other side of the nation to boot.... I still feel like I've read somewhere that she had had recent maintenance or something, but I can't be bothered to go digging beyond what I have, particularly since I just proved you right on this point.

As for 1218, I did mention that alot of my post was rumor and speculation. Though I'm not sure what to think when I read that its a legend that "1218's boiler is completely empty now" (Which by the way I never said, I only mentioned the Crown Sheet), and then in the next line say "The only missing pieces are the boiler tubes and Superheater Return pipes" which is a good 70+% of what would sit in the front half of the boiler, and probably 60% of the total innards of the boiler assembly itself..... Either way, I'm not really interested in a semantics debate about "complete", but either 1218 is missing pieces or its not..... And you yourself agree it is (or was).

Finally, the primary crux of my post was "1218 vs 2156" as a candidate restoration. With regard to everything brought up, I still believe 1218 is the more likely candidate. I'd have to hear something like "Bob and Andy have been out there every weekend for the last 50 Years in the hot & dry Climate we stored it in to do routine small maintenance on her!" Before I'd think 2156 would be in a better position as a restoration candidate, or something to that effect....

Cheers,
-Falcus

Alright, having done some digging, you're right about 611. Did find this:
- from VMT Itself at some point supposedly. So I don't feel its was that big a mistake to make for someone that was 10 years old at the time and on the other side of the nation to boot.... I still feel like I've read somewhere that she had had recent maintenance or something, but I can't be bothered to go digging beyond what I have, particularly since I just proved you right on this point.

It's no big deal, Falcus. : ) But other than the constant maintenance, inspection, and general repair on a regular basis that all steam locomotives require, I can't remember #611 going in the shops for any major repairs after she was restored in 1982 through the day of her final run in 1994.

5As for 1218, I did mention that alot of my post was rumor and speculation. Though I'm not sure what to think when I read that its a legend that "1218's boiler is completely empty now" (Which by the way I never said, I only mentioned the Crown Sheet), and then in the next line say "The only missing pieces are the boiler tubes and Superheater Return pipes" which is a good 70+% of what would sit in the front half of the boiler, and probably 60% of the total innards of the boiler assembly itself..... Either way, I'm not really interested in a semantics debate about "complete", but either 1218 is missing pieces or its not..... And you yourself agree it is (or was).

RE: the so-called "missing pieces": To meet current FRA requirements for steam locomotives, you'd have to strip the boiler inside and out to physically get at everything for inspection of every sheet, seam, rivet, support parts, etc. So the fire tubes that are "missing" would have to be cut out if they were still in place, to do a proper inspection. Then you'd have to acquire new tubes, then fit and weld them back in place, etc. New tubes can be made, and pounded by in, welded in place, etc. It's no "biggie." The fact that 1218's boiler tubes are already out is a good thing because that makes inspection possible.

I think a lot of people seem to think that 1218's boiler was misplaced, got loaded onto a boxcar that turned up "missing", or somehow, someone removed it on some darken night and sold it for scrap and now 1218 has nothing what so ever under her boiler shroud. Maybe someone should walk up to #1218 and rap their knuckles on the underside of her firebox to see if it's made of real iron or if it's just a papier-mâché mock-up! ;)

She may be missing her old worn out boiler tubes but there's more to a steam locomotive's boiler than just tubes.

A very literal cutaway view of a steam locomotive boiler...

Finally, the primary crux of my post was "1218 vs 2156" as a candidate restoration. With regard to everything brought up, I still believe 1218 is the more likely candidate. I'd have to hear something like "Bob and Andy have been out there every weekend for the last 50 Years in the hot & dry Climate we stored it in to do routine small maintenance on her!" Before I'd think 2156 would be in a better position as a restoration candidate, or something to that effect....

Cheers,
-Falcus

Well, Scott Lindsay, president of the Birmingham, Alabama based Steam Operations Corporation, was on the 611 Restoration Team, acting as project coordinator and was in charge of the mechanical team that rebuilt #611. If the Virginia Transportation Museum (VTM) gets to the point of being seriously interested in exploring the the possibility of restoring #2156 and #1218, I suspect Lindsay's firm will be called in to inspect the locomotives and provide a rather detailed report that evaluates each locomotive's potential for restoration. Until that sort of inspection is done, it's anybody's guess as to which locomotive would make the best candidate for restoration.

Both No. 1218 and No. 2156 left the N&W in 1959. No. 1218 was sold to the Union Carbide plant in South Charleston, WV, where she has was used a backup boiler for the plant, so she spent her early retirement years at Union Carbide, and I believe she was stored indoors for most or perhaps all of her time there. But she sold and went to Steamtown in 1965, and I'm pretty sure she then spent several years stored outdoors, until she was finally stolen, err, I mean "rescued", by the Transportation Museum in Roanoke, which was sometime in the early 1980s, I believe.

N_W1218_VTunrestored-1969_.jpg

The photo above shows what No. 1218 looked like in 1969. I don't think No. 2156 was ever allowed to deteriorate to that point anytime after the N&W donated her to the museum in St. Louis.

No. 1218 looked real nice and shiny in the 1980s after she was restored, and she still looks great today, but it's not like she has lead a completely sheltered life. ;)

Last edited:
I remember seeing No. 1218 up at the old Steamtown in Bellows Falls, VT back in 1968. I was all of 7 years old at the time and remember climbing up on her and the UP Big Boy that was there. We never did go for the ride because dad thought it was too long and didn't want to spend the money on it.

During the mid-1980s, she like her sister locomotives, were sold or transferred to the new Steamtown operations in Scranton, PA which would explain how she was rescued by the VTM. The collection was not kept in very good condition from what I remember. Many of the locomotives were rust buckets or only cosmetically restored from what I remember about that day, oh so many years ago. :)

John

No. 2156 is back home in Roanoke

Norfolk and Western Y6a #2156 shows some articulation as it leans into the curve exiting the east portal of Welch Tunnel in Welch, West Virginia, on May 12, 2015. Norfolk Southern train #956 towed No. 2156, at no more than 25 mph, from St. Louis to Roanoke, VA in a little over 3 and a half days.

3340.1431469099.jpg

Along the journey from St Louis to Roanoke, Norfolk and Western Y6a #2156 was able to greet an old friend: The coaling tower at Prichard, West Virginia. If these two relics could talk, they could have sat and chatted about progress for years.

6476.1431390405.jpg

And coming soon...

Celebrate N&W’s Big Three!

For the first time in 60 years, the Class J 611, Class A 1218 and the Class Y6a 2156 will be in the same rail yard.

Virginia Museum of Transportation
303 Norfolk Avenue SW
Sunday, May 31 | 10 am to 5 pm

Last edited:
@wva-usa
Thanks for the History.

After that, operating steam practices, even before the FRA mandated 1472 day rebuilds (Which were only instituted after the end of NS Steam Excursions), were still "frequent enough to not blow your boiler", and though 611 didn't see daily use, NS didn't skimp on her maintenance either (as evidenced by her readiness to return to service IMHO), so I highly doubt she went without Tube, Flue, and Staybolt removal and replacement as part of her upkeep for the entire 10+ years of her excursion career...... There would have been plenty of opportunities in the down season for a company like NS with enough money to throw at it to get it done fairly quickly, regardless of when it actually took place or not.... Either way, I kind of feel like this part of the conversation has left the rails of the main thread, and probably did so a long time ago....

If the Virginia Transportation Museum (VTM) gets to the point of being seriously interested in exploring the the possibility of restoring #2156 and #1218, I suspect Lindsay's firm will be called in to inspect the locomotives and provide a rather detailed report that evaluates each locomotive's potential for restoration. Until that sort of inspection is done, it's anybody's guess as to which locomotive would make the best candidate for restoration.

Both No. 1218 and No. 2156 left the N&W in 1959. No. 1218 was sold to the Union Carbide plant in South Charleston, WV, where she has was used a backup boiler for the plant, so she spent her early retirement years at Union Carbide, and I believe she was stored indoors for most or perhaps all of her time there. But she sold and went to Steamtown in 1965, and I'm pretty sure she then spent several years stored outdoors, until she was finally stolen, err, I mean "rescued", by the Transportation Museum in Roanoke, which was sometime in the early 1980s, I believe.
Well, VMT doesn't own 2156, and I would think they would want to swap or aquire it, at least in an "Indefinite" state and sign a binding contract to that effect before they ever sank money into restoring someone elses locomotive. That said, I do agree they would do just as you've outlined if they chose to, but as I touched on earlier, part of that would have to include an evaluation of operational range including the issue of R.O.W. reduction for space for Boiler out-swing.....

After that, historically sheltered or not is immaterial when weighed against "Most recent operation and maintenance". That was my entire point. And again, I point out, my posts in this thread are riddled with speculation on my part. I seriously hope you're not reading my posts as some kind of misguided on my part "Statements of Fact" after I've tried so hard to make this clear? Speculation leaves room for anything, up to and including debate of what one, from ones own perspective, no matter how limited or not, of condition of anything we so choose to discuss.....

Awesome pics though in that last post!

@John
Yes, Steamtown seems to be rather storied for allowing their collection to "fall to pieces". Their Big Boy was reportedly at one time growing quite the "Green-coat" of moss underneath its boiler jacket. Though as I recall they were also the repository of the one Big Boy that was unlucky enough to have had its Piston Rods Cut through....

-Falcus

Falcus,

The Y6a's wheelbase is a little over 2 ft. shorter than the A's, and the Y6a's boiler is probably at least 6 feet shorter than the Class A's. So I'd think the Y6a would have less boiler swing than the A, which is also an articulated locomotive. I don't think clearance have gotten any smaller anywhere on the NS since the steam era. The NS just went through a massive upgrade of (mostly vertical) clearances a few years ago with the Heartland Corridor Project. So I'd think if the A could navigate the line safety that the Y6a could as well or perhaps better.

I'm not going to speculate on which loco would make the best/cheapest candidate for restoration. I'll leave that to the experts to judge after making a proper inspection and evaluation of both. However, the A would have a definite speed advantage over the Y6a. But then the Y could lug more passenger cars over steep grades, which would probably make it feasible to operate 14+ car trains in rugged areas where both the A and J would have problems with heavy trains. So who knows?

As I mentioned earlier, I still think one of the biggest problems to overcome, if another large steam locomotive was added to the NS steam program's schedule, would be coming up with enough passenger cars to be shared among all the locos. As I understand it, #611's runs this year are limited, due to the lack of availability of cars.

Back in the '80s and early '90s, there were a good deal of old passenger cars, mostly owned by private individuals, that were available for use on steam excursions in the Mid-Atlantic Region. But many of them were in pretty poor mechanical condition. The first runs of the Chessie Safety Express excursions in the '80s consisted of a good many cars whose air conditioners were fully functional, interior lighting sometimes worked and sometimes it didn't, the constant banging of flat wheels were common, and hotboxes during those runs were sometimes common. I paid a hefty premium to ride in a vista dome car a couple of years, and nearly died from 90 degree (F) heat inside that car during a couple of rather cold, overcast days in October.

These days, the standards of cars used on mainline excursions are much strict, so car availability is much less. Amtrak can supply a limited number of cars, but if another excursion has booked them, then your excursion is just out of luck.

RE: the staged pics NS made along the route of #2156's move

Yeah, awesome pics. I think the fact that NS was willing to go to the trouble of staging those 'photo ops' was a really cool move. :)

Well, you're right about the sizes. Just checked my own library.... Who'd'a thunk it, that N&W Built 2-6-6-4's bigger then their 2-8-8-2's? They really wanted that honkin big Firebox on the A's. Either way, guess that answers that concern as a comparison between them.

Still doesn't answer R.O.W. reduction for either locomotive though. I mean, they've just moved 2156 from St. Louis to Roanoke, so obviously it can be done, but I have heard it brought up before as a factor for Large Steam in the East. Particularly along CSX lines (Yea, yea, I know, just part of what I heard however), and I had heard someone mention quite a bit down in the South along many carrier's R.O.W. The issue stemming from it supposedly has had to do with the reduction of space between Tracks with opposing directions of traffic along them, particularly around curves, as I understood it.

Good point on the speed thing. Though in my "speculative manner" so far, Id count this against 2156 more then anything else.... I've heard curator/restoration expert after curator/restoration manager harp again and again that going forward, its less and less likely to see Drag Freight locomotives restored because so few of them would have the speed required to keep up with a timetable likely to be given to them by the Class1's to operate on. The Class1's are already donating the time and use of their rails, last thing they want to do is to prolong that duration.....

I've heard about the Passenger car issue before. I agree that it would be something of an issue, but I disagree that it'd be as big an issue as you might think. Excursion programs rarely have the budget or manpower to operate more then one large steam locomotive at a time, even UP's steam program and the Portland Oregon groups rarely operate more then 1 at a time (Though both have done it of course, though generally in the form of "Double header" type operations where there is still only one string of passenger cars behind them). I think it'll more boil down to "Do we think we have a strong enough reason to justify trying to put it under steam again" more then anything else. Having 2x Locomotives means that when ones down the other can run, which has tended to be UP & Portland's take on the whole thing.

As far as speculation, IDK, I would say I feel like this whole conversation is speculation, sans the direct facts you or I can and have looked up..... Speculation opens "What if" for discussion. And look at the discussion we've had? I know I've found it interesting, and I'd wager there are others as well judging by the "View Count", lol.

In a Funny sort of way, NS seems to have a love hate relationship with Steam. When they're in love with it, they go all out nuts, probably even further then UP does for their steam.... When they hate it, they dismantle it and its infrastructure and sell it off to museums so they don't have to deal with it..... I can think of a few meme ideas to describe this kind of bi-polar attitude they seem to have about it.... lol.....

-Falcus

@wva-usa:
In the comments section of this YouTube video, the creator of this video talked to the head of the Museum of Transport, and here's what he, the maker of the video said:
[sic] having spoken to Ms. Butterworth, director of the Museum of Transport, the Y6a is on loan to Norfolk-Southern, who will display it at VMT. Ms. Butterworth is the one who signed the loan agreement.

Virginia Museum of Transport will have the Y6a as a display from NS, and in exchange, a cosmetic restoration of the MOT's UP DDx-40 will be done (currently underway by NS in Altoona), and a 5-year loan of the FT-103 B unit to MOT (Both the F unit and B unit were repainted as well). Both VMT and NS worked together on this, which is why MOT has VMT's FT-103 B unit.
[sic]

Link to video:
http:// https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CO_Eu1Zw4VQ

Yep. The DD40X #6944 has already undergone a cosmetic restoration in the Norfolk Southern's Juniata Shop in Altoona, Pennsylvania.

11041871_10152824892617548_1771466643281074569_o.jpg

Before and after pics:

11337041_10155652434570637_7123628034653866012_o.jpg

Photo credit: Altoonna Works

Back