My experience upgrading my existing T:ANE route to TRS19 standards

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
Someone asked me not to long ago to post my experiences with upgrading my T:ANE routes to TRS19 standards. Now that I have completed upgrading my first T:ANE route, the Progressive Rail Jesse James Line, I thought I would take the time to let you all know what I experienced and the challenges I had to face. Because of all the new features in TRS19 this upgrade was not a minor one so much as it ended up being a complete overhaul of my old route.

Basically upgrading a route from T:ANE to TRS19 standards, which utilizes all the new features of TRS19, will involve the following major tasks:

1. Replace all the T:ANE procedural track with TRS19 procedural track.
2. Replacing all the old 2D ground textures with new 3D PBR ground textures.
3. Delete all the old scenery splines.
4. Add TurfFX effects.
5. Add Clutter effects.
6. Replace older structures and content items that don’t look good any more.
7. Cleanup glitches caused by the new features.

Here are some of the things I faced and experienced during this overhaul.

1. 2D and 3D ground textures don’t mix well. Because of this I ended up having to create from scratch well over 70 3D PBR Ground Textures in order to replace all of the 2D ground textures on my routes. BTW all these textures are now available for everyone’s use on the DLS.

2. 3D ground textures cause problem with road splines and track. I found that after replacing all the 2D ground textures with the new 3D PBR ground textures I had to go around and fix various roads and tracks where the PBR ground texture appeared to go over the spline instead of under it. The solution was to manually paint a 3D PBR ground texture over the spline which restored the road or track to the way it should look. Why this happens I am not sure, and it is kind of tedious to deal with.

3. Sharp edged terrain presents problem when applying the new 3D PBR ground textures. After applying the 3D PBR ground texture you will notice a “rolling effect” as you approach or move away from the sharp edge terrain. No real cure short of trying to adjust the edges as best you can – and that is not always possible. I expect this will be a real challenge for mountainous terrain routes such as my “Loops” route.

4. Track replacement when quickly and smoothly. I used the bulk replacement utility in surveyor to replace all the old T:ANE procedures track with the new TRS19 procedural track which looks better and has 3D ballast. The only downside is there is no matching 3D PBR ground texture for the ballast used in the “TRS19 Trk Jarrah Procedural – Seasonal” track and I was not able to successfully create a completely matching 3D PBR Ground Texture that could do it, and I am not sure why.

5. Learning about how to create PBR Textures from scratch and utilize TurfFX and Clutter effects presented me with a fairly steep learning curve compared to past Trainz versions. I have since passed on what I heave learned, tips and tutorials to help others in this forum.

6. Applying TurfFX and Clutter effects, while looking great, is tedious and a real pain at times as you are constrained to only applying it to a “selected area” rather than just being able to paint it, as you do with ground textures. The selected area is constrained to the grid direction and is hard to apply to curved areas that go against the direction of the grid. Bleed over of the effects beyond the selected area is often hard to control so the effects often end up where you don’t want them which forces you to have to come back and delete them. N3V really does need to make application more flexible and easier to apply – preferably in a way similar to paint and with better more selective and finer control.

7. Clutter and TurfFX effects allow you to delete scenery splines. As an example, I was able to completely eliminate all scenery splines, such as grass and weeds, as you really don’t need them anymore. This boosted performance and more then compensated for the application of TurfFX and Clutter effects based on my tests.

8. The old TRS2004, or earlier, animated and non-animated structures and content items don’t look good with the new 3D effects and you may need to replace some of them as they are beginning to show their age. N3V really does need to upgrade some of these items to bring them in line, appearance wise, with all the new features. Examples are: Hyde Pulp Mill, forestry, Lumber Mill.

If you have multiple routes that you need to upgrade, I would highly recommend that you start with the smallest one you have first, before moving onto the larger ones. This will allow you to learn what works well and what doesn’t.

After going through all of this I have to say that the effort involved is worth it as the route, once converted to TRS19 3D standards, will look absolutely stunning compared to the old 2D version. TRS19 really is a giant step in the evolution of Trainz and moves us from the 2D ground textures and effects to a fully 3D world in appearance.

Bob

I agree with just about everything Bob said. I have been updating my Cotton Belt route, using Bob's textures and long grass Turfx (I don't know what "clutter effects" are) and the process is indeed slow and at times painful! Applying Turfx is extremely slow due to the fact that the grass tends to spread outside the application circle. Plus, you cannot use a very small circle, so there is no painting of long, thin TurFX in places where I would like to plant it (spaces between track and the like).

I haven't changed my track however because I heard there was no North American procedure track, so I'm leaving my track as is. I had already manually inserted Frogs at switch points. Not having a matching ballast is also bad news :(.

I found a problem when using the bulk replacement tool to replace my old textures with Bob's PBR. It left long, thin portions of an unknown field texture all over my route, so I am having to fix them:
picture sharing

But anyhow, I agree with Bob that the effort involved is very much worth it. The grass and fields look so much better.

(Now if N3V would fix the traffic issues and allow us to paint TurFX like we do textures....)

Cheers,

Dave Snow

2. 3D ground textures cause problem with road splines and track. I found that after replacing all the 2D ground textures with the new 3D PBR ground textures I had to go around and fix various roads and tracks where the PBR ground texture appeared to go over the spline instead of under it. The solution was to manually paint a 3D PBR ground texture over the spline which restored the road or track to the way it should look. Why this happens I am not sure, and it is kind of tedious to deal with.

Bob

From my experience with your 3D ground textures I noticed, that it is sometimes possible, to lower the terrain unter the road spline until the gravel and stones on the street have disappeared. :)

By the way, thank you very much for your 3D textures and the revised map.

Regards

Swordfish

3. Sharp edged terrain presents problem when applying the new 3D PBR ground textures. After applying the 3D PBR ground texture you will notice a “rolling effect” as you approach or move away from the sharp edge terrain. No real cure short of trying to adjust the edges as best you can – and that is not always possible. I expect this will be a real challenge for mountainous terrain routes such as my “Loops” route.

Users reporting these new ground texture issues on non-flat terrain is disheartening. It's a shame that a great (perhaps only?) NC mountain route like The Loops may not be able to use them in an adequate fashion, not easily anyway. I sure hope N3V are working to improve the shortcomings of their new features and not sticking with the 'Don't use them in those situations' or 'Don't look at it/put something in the way to obstruct the view' replies.

Keep up the good work.

--Coble

I've been doing the same thing.Just started on bridges to make the older track on bridges look better without changing the original asset.

Before

258c8lh.jpg

After

23kdnbq.jpg

Just installed and ran your Jesse James TRS19 route. Very, very, nice! Thanks for this route!

Last edited:
Someone asked me not to long ago to post my experiences with upgrading my T:ANE routes to TRS19 standards. Now that I have completed upgrading my first T:ANE route, the Progressive Rail Jesse James Line, I thought I would take the time to let you all know what I experienced and the challenges I had to face. Because of all the new features in TRS19 this upgrade was not a minor one so much as it ended up being a complete overhaul of my old route.

Basically upgrading a route from T:ANE to TRS19 standards, which utilizes all the new features of TRS19, will involve the following major tasks:

1. Replace all the T:ANE procedural track with TRS19 procedural track.
2. Replacing all the old 2D ground textures with new 3D PBR ground textures.
3. Delete all the old scenery splines.
4. Add TurfFX effects.
5. Add Clutter effects.
6. Replace older structures and content items that don’t look good any more.
7. Cleanup glitches caused by the new features.

Here are some of the things I faced and experienced during this overhaul.

Bob

Hello Bob,

I found out something new about you I didn't know that you are a master sergeant and I'd like to say thank you for your service to our country.

In reference to trains and you know how I cut up routes merge pieces of things together yada yada and I collect a few routes here and there over the years.....

From what I'm reading about what you had to do when you went to TRS19 it sounds like an awful lot of work and well worth it in the end result?

However I have so many routes that I've played with AND changed I was thinking maybe with those routes for the time being and I just like your take on THIS??

Just change the track to procedural TRS19 specs and see how that goes for now and then play with the 3D stuff later on.... Going to take me some time to get used to it and learn how to play with a strange 3D animal vs 2D stuff and the older versions of trains just like your take on that if you would sir?

I also follow Dave Snow too, and he's having his share of a hard time with the movement of the texture coat..... 😎

R Those Red Brick Stacks........?

I love BBQ!!!! (Another shot from Jesse James route)

bbq.jpg

Was wondering, and Like BBQ when it's done right.....Num,,,Num........Now back to my ??? are those Dave Snows Red Brick Stacks by chance......They look terrific in this shot......???

Was wondering, and Like BBQ when it's done right.....Num,,,Num........Now back to my ??? are those Dave Snows Red Brick Stacks by chance......They look terrific in this shot......???

I'm somewhat new at this but I checked my assets and they appear to be "Bricks 1," "Bricks 2," and "Bricks 3" by "kbagyula" kuid2:59755:27002 for "bricks 1"

Hello Bob,

I found out something new about you I didn't know that you are a master sergeant and I'd like to say thank you for your service to our country.

From what I'm reading about what you had to do when you went to TRS19 it sounds like an awful lot of work and well worth it in the end result?

However I have so many routes that I've played with AND changed I was thinking maybe with those routes for the time being and I just like your take on THIS??

Just change the track to procedural TRS19 specs and see how that goes for now and then play with the 3D stuff later on.... Going to take me some time to get used to it and learn how to play with a strange 3D animal vs 2D stuff and the older versions of trains just like your take on that if you would sir?

I also follow Dave Snow too, and he's having his share of a hard time with the movement of the texture coat..... ��

Yep, I was in the Army from 1972-1993 and also worked as Defense Contractor during the height of the 2nd Gulf War war between 2005-2010. Being 64 at present I am now fully retired. BTW "MSGSapper" comes from both my rank and the fact that I was a mechanized sapper with an Armored Cavalry Regiment for five years of my career.

If you do nothing else I would suggest you do the following:

1. Replace all the old 2D ground textures with the new 3D PBR textures. I have currently done 78 PBR textures on the DLS and certainly will be creating more. As you can imagine a lot of work was involved in creating these new textures and many of them are truly seasonal in nature, unlike most of the provided ones which are not (snow by itself doesn't make a texture seasonal in my opinion). Personally I didn't like most of the ones that came with TRS19 so decided to make my own.

2. Replace the track with the new TRS19 procedural track. The TRS19 track has 3D PBR style ballast.

Just those two things will really elevate the appearance of almost any route.

Bob

Love your farming textures that change with the growing season.

trs19_88.jpg

trs19_85.jpg

trs19_91.jpg

trs19_92.jpg

Thanks for all your work.

Last edited:
Yep, I was in the Army from 1972-1993 and also worked as Defense Contractor during the height of the 2nd Gulf War war between 2005-2010. Being 64 at present I am now fully retired. BTW "MSGSapper" comes from both my rank and the fact that I was a mechanized sapper with an Armored Cavalry Regiment for five years of my career.

If you do nothing else I would suggest you do the following:

1. Replace all the old 2D ground textures with the new 3D PBR textures. I have currently done 78 PBR textures on the DLS and certainly will be creating more. As you can imagine a lot of work was involved in creating these new textures and many of them are truly seasonal in nature, unlike most of the provided ones which are not (snow by itself doesn't make a texture seasonal in my opinion). Personally I didn't like most of the ones that came with TRS19 so decided to make my own.

2. Replace the track with the new TRS19 procedural track. The TRS19 track has 3D PBR style ballast.

Just those two things will really elevate the appearance of almost any route.

Bob

Copy that Sir,

I come from the KISS philosophy whenever and wherever possible, and your suggestion sounds Spot on.......I think it would be more realistic by quite a stretch and I would also think that these different texture would give varying degrees of Whiteness, or more contrast.....

Thanks for your help.......

Back