Multiple Engines Questions

Heinrich505

Some questions when using multiple engines.

Does the AI driver mirror your engine commands or does he not exist? In Season Town you command a train with an engine at both ends of the consist. This removes the task of running the engine around the consist to pull it after dumping the limestone. You simply change engines and now you are at the head of the train again. When you are in the lead engine and, for example, slowing the train using dynamic brakes, or adding notches to your acceleration to speed up, does the other engine do anything or is it empty and in neutral?

If I put some E8s into an A-B-A configuration, do the following B and A units actually assist in pulling the consist? Would you have to pay attention to the red and green direction arrows when setting up the train, and if so, how would you set up the following A unit, as it should have its back to the head engine? Or do they run in neutral as well?

Didn't know how the game handles this so I figured I'd throw it out to the forum.

Thanks,

Heinrich505

All the cars and engines in a train use the same direction when connected together. The engine you are driving controls everything. If you add engines they do help in heavy loads but only one controls. Hope that helped.

Carl

Like he said, if you have front & rear locos, they all go the same throttle speed, even if you mix steam with diesel, or electric, and the rear locos do not shove harder than the front locos (as they could in real life, throttle overspeed) and shove the train off the track

The one exception that I know of is when you double head steam in Cab Control. There, each locomotive behaves independently and requires attention as you are driving the train. This can be an enjoyable challenge!

Oh, so two steam engines have to be attended to separately. So, you'd be switching back and forth between the two.

Is this only if they are both at the head, or would this include a steam engine pushing at the rear of the consist?

Heinrich505

Oh, so two steam engines have to be attended to separately. So, you'd be switching back and forth between the two.

Is this only if they are both at the head, or would this include a steam engine pushing at the rear of the consist?

Heinrich505
This would be either. It all depends on where the 2 locos are placed. IE: If 2 at the head end, then both are right there for switching. If 1 push 1 pull, then one would jump at each end of a consist. For a fun challenge a person could have a leader, mid pusher, and tail pusher for a 3 way hop. The bottom line is it is all about where the power is placed.

Yes, it can indeed get tricky trying to cab control a mid train or a rear end helper - this will likely result in a repetitive stress injury!

A nice approach to rear end helpers is provided by ElStoko here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...f-train-up-steep-grades&p=1654159#post1654159

This puts the rear unit under AI control even if you are actively driving the front end. It also puts the rear unit under DCC physics which considerably increases locomotive tractive effort. So, adjust your tonnage accordingly.

Yes, it can indeed get tricky trying to cab control a mid train or a rear end helper - this will likely result in a repetitive stress injury!

A nice approach to rear end helpers is provided by ElStoko here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...f-train-up-steep-grades&p=1654159#post1654159

This puts the rear unit under AI control even if you are actively driving the front end. It also puts the rear unit under DCC physics which considerably increases locomotive tractive effort. So, adjust your tonnage accordingly.
If I read the thread right. these assets are designed for temporary added power. might not be too practical in a fulltime setting as the pusher is not linking to the consist. Also, I interpret this way as if one links the power, it would conflict with default codes and scripts.

Back