Model railway software

twarner

Around since 2001
A little gem that I've just stumbled upon and decided to give a try for something different, (it's cheap too!) is "Create your own model railway deluxe" by Focus software, here.

I thought that it would be another cheap 'n cheerful, (read awful!) bit of software but No!

It actually simulates very well real model railway building complete with individual power controls, isolation switches, points control, signals that work and even uncoupling. Add to that the fact that the graphics are really very good, the locos feature sound and smoke where appropriate and there is loads of variety with the rolling stock and you have a very good value package. Terrain building is good and there is texture control, tunnels, bridges and lots of buildings. There's a good pdf manual and tutorial supplied with loads of already constructed layouts to give you ideas.

I've only scratched the surface at the moment but from what I've seen so far it's excellent value.

The cheapest I've found so far is on Amazon (UK) at £7.51 including postage. This was new and wrapped.

Give it a whirl and let me know what you think! :)

Terry

Last edited:
Interesting!

I'm now assuming that absolutely no-one else has seen or tried it, otherwise, surely someone would agree or disagree with me.

All the reviews (Google) have been good but I admit there haven't been many.

It just seemed, to me that it was well worth a look as, in my opinion it's the best virtual representation of a real model railway being controlled by all the usual plethora of control switches for automatic running being placed at the appropriate places that I've ever seen. The viewing options are also excellent with all the usual zoom, pan and rotate options being available.

The landscape building options are quite reminiscent of Surveyor but, obviously nowhere near as comprehensive.

So, unless someone has found something better, I'll assume that it's the best there is.

Please let me reiterate, I'm talking model railway layouts here.

Terry

Yet more info. The software I initially loaded turns out to be a cut down and packaged UK version of 'Rule the Rail' by a US company, here.

There is a much more active support base here and links to worldwide forums and some very complex layout developments.

Altogether an interesting diversion from the virtual railway presentation of Trainz. Very pretty if you like watching and operating model railways, especially if you enjoy the challenges of automated switching and controlling.

Terry

Last edited:
Terry

Trainz started out as a Model Railway Simulator, and from my point of view, despite all the changes, that is what it still is. Why go elsewhere?

Ride the Rails looks very toy like, like the worst aspects of a table top layout on a 6 by 4 plywood sheet.

Nope, It is still Trainz for me.

Peter

Point taken Peter and, of course Trainz wins hands down.:D

I was not, I hope, appearing to suggesting that it was a replacement for Trainz.

The big difference, IMHO is that this software deliberately sets out to actually present itself as a model railway simulator; I don't think Trainz actually does that although many folk out there, (your good self included) obviously consider it to be so.

The biggest difference to Trainz is that 'Ride the Rail' simulates very well the controlling aspects of a model railway set up and doesn't set out to have an AI aspect to the control; you have to set up actual control units to achieve absolutely everything.

With the greatest respect, I think you are being a little unkind when referring to a 6 x 4 plywood sheet. Some of the largest layouts I've seen so far would need a pretty large hall to accommodate them.;)

It's the sheer complexity of control that is fascinating me at the moment and trying to work out how folk have achieved what they have with a series of simple 'train crosses switch, switch sends command to another switch which in turn operates a control' commands. When you see literally dozens of trains all moving around carrying out their individual tasks, it's like visiting one of those huge model railway exhibitions which, I think fascinate most of us.

Terry

Back