Model Railroadz

Giving this great idea a shot as I really love the concept behind it. I kind of got the hang of things but I have a couple questions:

1. How do you get the floor covering spline to go under the "table"? when i try the spline just rides up the slope/spot that was removed by the dig hole.

2. How do you get the supports to go under the "table"? it does the same thing as the floor covering spline when i try.

Thanks for any help,
Regards,
Jordan

p.s. Thanks to everyone who has created assets to go with this concept so far.
1) go into the advanced bit of the spline editor and there's a button that says get spline height, go to the one right next to it should be right after a number input. basically input whatever your floor height is and then hit the button next to it (don't use the gradient one it won't work)
2) same thing

For the benefit of those like myself who have joined the discussion around P12 or P13 and skimmed through the preceding pages, I'm wondering if it is possible to layout (no pun intended) a summary of the procedures? From what I think I've learned so far:

1. Start with a flat single baseboard/tile (i.e. no DEM import).

2. Peg out the boundaries of the "room" and the baseboard edges.

3. Build the layout to the track plan in the usual way, sculpting any terrain by hand.

4. Drop the base level by @40m so the remaining flat area becomes the floor. (Is there a command to do this in Surveyor or do you need to use Transdem?).

5. Add the brick walls around the outer edge.

6. Create the baseboard edge by removing terrain with digholes as necessary, painting a neutral colour and adding "legs".

7. Add the floor.

8. Tidy up/add fine detail and unleash on the world!

Re 4, figured it out (staring me in the face!). just drop a small section of the "floor" to -40m. Copy a small section of this with the copy/paste tool and go round the edges of your actual baseboard area nibbling away until you get the desired shape.

This is a massive distraction for me too and everything else in Trainz and RW dropped while I dig out Peco, Kalmbach and sundry other model railway plans to try.

Should we begin the project, chosing HO Scale ... ?

For the benefit of those like myself who have joined the discussion around P12 or P13 and skimmed through the preceding pages, I'm wondering if it is possible to layout (no pun intended) a summary of the procedures? From what I think I've learned so far:

1. Start with a flat single baseboard/tile (i.e. no DEM import).

2. Peg out the boundaries of the "room" and the baseboard edges.

3. Build the layout to the track plan in the usual way, sculpting any terrain by hand.

4. Drop the base level by @40m so the remaining flat area becomes the floor. (Is there a command to do this in Surveyor or do you need to use Transdem?).

5. Add the brick walls around the outer edge.

6. Create the baseboard edge by removing terrain with digholes as necessary, painting a neutral colour and adding "legs".

7. Add the floor.

8. Tidy up/add fine detail and unleash on the world!

Should we begin the project, chosing HO Scale ... ?

:)

Or even N gauge. Bet there's some whopper published plans that would fit in nicely with this idea, but best to start modestly first. The only other issue to (maybe) be aware of is copyright, especially where Kalmbach is concerned though I can't see why publish plans on which to base a real model railway than a (freeware) virtual one. However in the past there have been various iterations of Hungry Horse from 101 Trackplans created - I wonder who will be first past the post with this system?

<summary removed to shorten the post>
That's a pretty good summary I think, Vern.

Thank you Oknotsen for supporting the "Model Railroadz movement" with your HUGE stuff!
Same goes to Xawery, I'm appreciating your "quick'n'dirty" assets very much! :)

Very much fun to see the shots in this thread... a lot of different styles and approaches.

Oh, and eso your remote corners are always kind of foggy... may be you should reduce smoking in your hobby room! :hehe:

Felix

I just love this thread and the possibilities that it has provided. I'm going to have to reread this thread to get a handle on the process and then when I get my head wrapped around it, I think I'll probably give it a try myself.

Thanks everyone for such an interesting topic.

Mike

1) go into the advanced bit of the spline editor and there's a button that says get spline height, go to the one right next to it should be right after a number input. basically input whatever your floor height is and then hit the button next to it (don't use the gradient one it won't work)
2) same thing

thanks, i'll give it a go later on today

ec4ae6efd6733b71bc021b6088984f37.jpg

79b4f522a62c70455116a852676e6bd2.jpg

c3d62d0a8811a082b09f4e0dbc88f882.jpg

984e18c822169dc2f987ae14a59ef84f.jpg

Thanks to Xawery for these assets! As well as oknotsen for the walls!

Quoting photos, and quoting multiple photos is just wrong ... you can edit your post, and in source, advanced edit ... take out an image tag
, or just take out one bracket " ] ", then just a link to the photo will be seen ... there is absolutely no need to quote photos, especially if they are on the same page, and it is rediculous to quote photos right on top of the OP photos ... we don't need to see the photos twice !

Quouting photos takes up Forum bandwidth, and wastes miles of a thread size per page

Last edited:
Conrail that looks awesome, and I see you even have a second level! How did you manage that?

I was contemplating that earlier. One solution might to be a second or even third "room" for additional tiers, with a tunnel through the wall in place of the helix. Certainly if you start getting into the more complex John Armstrong plans it's an option to consider.

Finally managed to get one started. Its good fun, 1 baseboard and you can try get it detailed as much as possible.
Screenies Soon :)

Cheers
David

It's only taken 14 years to work out, but it looks great!

All the 'Trainz is a real simulator' buffs will be pulling their hair out though ;)

For me personally this is what i have been looking for since i began with this game how ever many years ago, I've never been as excited to race home at the end of the day too see what others have done with this amazing idea of Kimo's. And lately i was kind of really getting over it all and could of quite easily ( I Think ) walked away from it, I owe Kimo a lot of thanks for relighting the flame so to speak lol.
Cheers Mick.:)

This is great stuff guys! This is something I too looked at trying to do this when I first got MSTS and couldn't get that to work of course. Then with Trainz my attempt at building my then current N-scale layout didn't quite come out. Seeing this done now is amazing. I almost got the idea down with the Scenic and Relaxed route I made, but these are bars ahead in quality and design. The thing is done carefully, one could use this as a mock up of a fledgling model railroad if they're attempting to build one, and this is a great tool for clubs as they work out space and layout in their layout rooms.

Pulling hair out? Nah! It'll give them something to think about though. :)

I really like this because, as you say David, you can build a lot of detail into a tiny place without the computer coughing and glowing bright red. :)

This is the first time, in a very long time, that I've seen something here that actually excites me. :D

Kudos to Kimo for coming up with this great idea.

John

Last edited:
This is the first time, in a very long time, that I've seen something here that actually excites me. :D

Kudos to Kimo for coming up with this great idea.
Quite a few posters now who have been rather quite have come out and said how great this idea is so Kimo for President i say:clap:.
Cheers Mick.:hehe:

Back