Milw 261

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeman

With the 261 heading back to Wis. (due to failure to agree on a new usage contract) What Engine do you think the Friends of the 261 are going to go after to fix up and use now?

I would love to see them restore NYC 3001 from the Elkhart NYC museum. Would be great to see a NYC steamer going again. ( Actually Elkhart was very close to finalizing a deal with the Grand Canyon group to have them Lease the 3001 and get it going again but it fell apart when they dropped the steam program there).

The group is called Friends of 261. I don't think they're in the business of operating any other steam locomotives except 261.

Except the fact that quotes of Steve Sandberg say he's looking for a new locomotive and already has possibilities chosen.

say it ain't so!

I did not expect that to end like this, the 261 was and still is a fameous locomotive just like the UP 844,3985, 119 and SP 4449!:eek:

Hi All: You know one of our biggest problems we have is, we Don't care enough about preservation in this country..Look at what England has done with it..In this Country the almighty dollar rules..This looks like it going to go down the same path as the 1522..What a Shame..

Bob Cass:) :)

Already has, not negotiable now. All decisions have been finalized. Museum keep trying to make money off it, and became stubborn in negotiations. They say they're going to try and find another operator, but I doubt that will happen. Sandberg said he's going to try and find another locomotive, most likely another midwestern locomotive.

According to what I've heard, here's his probable choices:
MILW 265
CBQ 4-8-4

or some others, but those are the ones that stick out to me the most from what I read. It really doesn't matter much to me anyway, unless he gets the NC&StL 4-8-4 in Nashville.:p

Sickening!

Man this is sickening, the 261 should be up and running and I think this scenario is not good and not to mention alot of angry people who grew up with these engines are going to be furious much like what happened to the 1522!:n:

According to what I've heard, here's his probable choices:
MILW 265
CBQ 4-8-4

We've got one of the CB&Q's Northerns here at the Colorado RR Museum, but as I've heard, she and her Sister in Sheridan, Wyoming can't be run because it wasn't Privileged by the Burlington when they gave these Locomotives to be put on Display.

I don't know what you mean otherwise. :eek:

Man this is sickening, the 261 should be up and running and I think this scenario is not good and not to mention alot of angry people who grew up with these engines are going to be furious much like what happened to the 1522!:n:
Oh now, settle down.
It really isn't a big deal, I mean things happen.
It's probably just business.
Somebody else may get her or she could end up in a storage building for the next 20 some years.
Nothing we can do.
At best, it may be donated to a museum, in all likely hood National Railway Museum in Green Bay or Illinois Railway Museum in Union Illinois.
Lots of engines have met their fate, 611, 1218, the list goes on.
Oh well....

Woody

Haha no, I think that rumor happened because 1.) it had just been announced someone anonymously funded a boiler survey on the 4501 and 2.) 611 had briefly been moved out of sight from the public at about the same time, so many thought the same about it.

Oh now, settle down.
It really isn't a big deal, I mean things happen.
It's probably just business.
Somebody else may get her or she could end up in a storage building for the next 20 some years.
Nothing we can do.
At best, it may be donated to a museum, in all likely hood National Railway Museum in Green Bay or Illinois Railway Museum in Union Illinois.
Lots of engines have met their fate, 611, 1218, the list goes on.
Oh well....

Woody

Oh well, thanks for that, I'm sure there are a few steam engines that can fill in the gap!:cool:

Last edited:
Haha no, I think that rumor happened because 1.) it had just been announced someone anonymously funded a boiler survey on the 4501 and 2.) 611 had briefly been moved out of sight from the public at about the same time, so many thought the same about it.

Coincidence, Maybe. But the Fact that 611, a Purpose-built Streamlined Passenger Hauler, isn't Running Money-Making excursions, is a Real Crock O' #@%^ in my Book. :n:

Well I believe I have read in a couple places that The friends have no interest in 265. The last I have seen is they were still seeing what was happening to the 261 and it's sale, also a CB&Q 4-8-4 and some first generation diesels.

BUMP POLICE ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, Strasburg can't buy every single steam locomotive in existance, and do not bump threads.

Oh my..... the Bump Police are out today.

Per the CoC, it is not illegal to bump threads, have your read the CoC?

Sigh........

WOW the Friends of the 261 issue is still up in the air and your telling someone not to bump this thread????? Really???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back