May 28 2008: Deadly Day For New England Railroads

goodell911

http://www.gaurc.us
Two Green Line Trains Collide in Newton, MA

mbta_logo.png

View of the accident scene from the SkyFox helicopter.

Newton, MA
"Two above-ground MBTA trains collided on the Green Line near the Brae Burn Country Club in Newton Wednesday evening, trapping and killing a train operator, MBTA officials said. Ten other people suffered minor injuries in the wreck..."

Click here to see the rest of the story and the news videos.

Reported by:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Teenage Girls Hit By Train In Lebanon, ME

Click to see Myfox News footage

Lebanon, ME
"Two teenage girls were hit by a loaded freight train. Eyewitnesses say they could hear the train blow its horn, followed by screams. The two girls were sunbathing on the railroad tracks at the time..."

Click here to see the rest of the story and the news video.

Reported by:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RGoodell

Last edited:
"The two girls were sunbathing on the railroad tracks at the time..."

Would somebody please clarify just why people tend to do such incredibly stupid things on that side of the pond when it comes to active railroad lines?

WileeCoyote:n:

I always sunbathe on the railroad tracks... doesn't everyone?

If you are already dumb enough to skip school, then taking a nap on the tracks probably seems like a good idea too.

RGoodell

Last edited:
I always sunbathe on the railroad tracks... doesn't everyone?
My favorites are the high speed lines!:p

Really, how thick do you have to be to fall asleep whilst sunbathing on railway lines?!?
not on the grass next to them, not in your garden, or anyone's garden, not even on a road? On the railway...
are they by any chance mentally ill?
I really hope they learned something too.

Would somebody please clarify just why people tend to do such incredibly stupid things on that side of the pond when it comes to active railroad lines?

WileeCoyote:n:

The main reason is that the beaches are packed with fat women who would kill you if they fell on you. Believe me, the tracks are much safer.

Just a note: We now have the actual first 911 phone call placed after the MBTA accident.

It makes the hair on my neck stand-up... I can't imagine being in the shoes of the caller in the heat of the moment.

RGoodell

Last edited:
Those girls were idiots. Common sense tells you not to sunbathe in certain places likme airplane runways, highways, and definately railroad tracks.

Maybe time for the US Railroads to think about putting fencing along lines in urban areas or known trespass hot-spots? That 7ft tall metal palisade fencing seems to do a pretty good job in the UK.

Maybe time for the US Railroads to think about putting fencing along lines in urban areas or known trespass hot-spots? That 7ft tall metal palisade fencing seems to do a pretty good job in the UK.

People cut the wires or dig under them all the time. It's a strange fascination of Idiots and America.

By that I mean common sense is gone. Video games now TEACH you how to do stuff OVER and OVER because we are so stupid. If they have to teach you that up is up and down is down then something is wrong.

Railroads need to start fixing their tracks over here tho. With gas prices off the wall railroads are becoming the main transportation again which means more usage. Which means we need new tracks to keep it safe.

With gas prices off the wall railroads are becoming the main transportation again which means more usage. Which means we need new tracks to keep it safe.

Amen. I've been reading about Peak Oil and it makes your blood run cold. Looking at the worst predictions, it seems in less than 5 years there may be far more to worry about than which is the best train sim, or whether the DLS is down again...!

Back