maps

bmjank

how do you guys lay the pictures from google earth on the grids to map
ive got google earth plus but its no very clear

Either make your own map object in GMax or paste an image on an existing one. Does that make sense? :)

g0akh made some base map objects, search the DLS for basemap and follow the instructions.

Me, I make a GMax plane the size I need, texture it with the image from Google Earth that has been sized and saved as needed and then insert it in my route. Then I use it to help place ojbects in the correct relative locations. Of course it helps if you're comfortable with GMax.

I've been trying to use the 1km Basemap Pack, and it works to a point -- I can't seem to move the basemap down any further than -50, which isn't enough to place it below the tracks within any sort of narrow canyon area with surrounding high hills. In those cases, the basemaps want to sit atop the high hills of terrain, which may be 300 meters or more above the canyon below, where the actual rail line is located.

Anybody have any ideas about how to get around this apparent limitation in height adjustment? It seems to work fine on relatively flat terrain, but unfortunately most of the terrain I'm working with are canyons, gorges, etc. Any ideas appreciated!

Check the config file for the max/min height values. Might have -50 as a min. Decrease it to something lower for your needs.

Also, for some reason the "center point"of the basemap is the top right corner. You could temporarily lower the ground at that point and then smooth it over when you're done.

:cool: Claude

I found the 'top right corner awkward as well, so I inserted my map pics into the basemaps upside down, made it easier to move when rotated in surveyor, moving from bottom left seemed easier for my needs.
Very hard moving and positioning something that big and trying not to hit it by accident while moving a scenery asset :confused:
Hadn't thought of Martin's suggestion of changing the height in the config,
if I ever figure out what's wrong with my 2004 I will have to try that.

you can also *get* maps from topozone.com they will sell you them for a small price, but with some editing the free ones can be used too.

ask.com has some decent arial photos; along with local.live. out of the 4 (google, ask, msn, terraserver) you should be able to get a good pic of what you want.

I found the 'top right corner awkward as well, so I inserted my map pics into the basemaps upside down, made it easier to move when rotated in surveyor, moving from bottom left seemed easier for my needs.
Very hard moving and positioning something that big and trying not to hit it by accident while moving a scenery asset :confused:
Hadn't thought of Martin's suggestion of changing the height in the config,
if I ever figure out what's wrong with my 2004 I will have to try that.

I find the lower left corner easier as well for placing the bm. If we could lock objects then the moving issue would be a problem. The object could be nailed down so that other things could be placed around it without it moving when trying to move other objects. It would be nice to group and hide objects as well so it could be easier to place objects, but anyway these things are a someday if they're ever implemented, and I doubt we would ever see them.

I use the show grid instead of the colored terrain. This allow me to place the basemap as deep as I need to, and then build up from there because the terrain is clear. Like other objects and track, the basemap shows its textures, but the terrain is clear. I then dig and build up the terrain around the area as needed, then turn on the regular terrain to see what it looks like.

I recently used the BM to create a small yard and junction from the Atlas Model Railroad web site. They have a selection of HO and N scale layouts, and I like the Neeham Junction module so I saved the picture of it, and made it into a basemap. These aren't accurate maps, but it's another use for the BM as well.

John

Last edited:
Check the config file for the max/min height values. Might have -50 as a min. Decrease it to something lower for your needs.

Thanks for your excellent suggestion -- although there isn't a "height-range" tag used in the (stock) config file for the Basemaps Pack, I found that adding the tag to the config file (and using something like "height-range -250,10") will solve the problem of keeping the basemap below the surrounding hilly terrain. Thanks!

Back