Maps absolute altitude

hawkwind

Hi,

I've tried to change the default 0 meter altitude of a map in the config file. With no success because Trainz seems to talk in absolute height.

The question: is there a way to raise elevation?
..for example if you plan to merge two baseboards having different heights!

Regards
:)

The long answer is:

There have been a few threads on this subject and the general opinion is that to join two maps with differing heights is to add a few boards between them and build up from one height to another. In practice, this can be difficult and not very pretty if the heights are quite a ways off. One enterprising soul created a huge mountain and put a helical tunnel in it. I seemed as if you drove forever from one end to the other, but heights were matched in (I think) three circuits. :eek:

Bill

Check out the payware program TransDem. There's at least one thread on it in the payware forum. I think Geophil added a feature like this. Using a utility program it's fairly easy. I can do it if the map doesn't have certain kinds of scenery objects. For the gnd and trk files everything will get raised to the new height but a few objects in the obs file might not because the current formats for them haven't been released - publicly at least and I haven't had time to work on them. I'm not sure how (or if) TransDem handles it.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Ratz! Of course, you're right Bob. I do (now) remember that thread and what it contained. TransDEM is a good program, but I have not used it personally - only seen it used on another person's computer so I can't tell anyone how easy/hard it would be to raise/lower maps.

Bill

How is this not possible? As a test I took a DEM I downloaded, MAN ND, and saved a copy as MAN ND Test. Changed the altitude from 0 to -40 then went in Surveyor to check. MAN ND Test had elevations about 40 lower than MAN ND. Is there a specific circumstance where this doesn't work? Is it a TRS06 thing (I run 04)?

I think it's a "what objects do you have on the map" kind of thing. A raw DEM is probably okay because it hasn't been decorated yet.
Ed

How is this not possible? As a test I took a DEM I downloaded, MAN ND, and saved a copy as MAN ND Test. Changed the altitude from 0 to -40 then went in Surveyor to check. MAN ND Test had elevations about 40 lower than MAN ND. Is there a specific circumstance where this doesn't work? Is it a TRS06 thing (I run 04)?
Yes, it seems to work doesn't it. There are 2 problems though:
1) You can only set altitudes of 0-100m in surveyor. So it has limited range.
2) Did you try to merge another map to it or it to another map? The altitude that's set for the open map is applied to the map you merge into it. After the merge the 2 parts of the new map will still have the same height difference.

Bob Pearson

Back