Maintaining my computer

I just transferred 140GB of Trainz 2010 content to TANE from my portable drive to my SSD. About half of the content showed up as faulty, modified but faulty or missing dependencies. The custom buildings, NYCTA elevated structures, NYCTA and Metro North rolling stock is faulty and does not show up in TANE. What would be the process to fix content in the TANE CMP. I remember back in Trainz 2010, there was the Content Creator Plus and config file. Do these options exist in the TANE CMP? I am really debating if I should build the Major Tri State Area Project in TANE or Trainz 2010. TANE is great but from what I have tried out so far, it is not as user friendly as Trainz 2010 and alot of the content is Metro North and NYCTA content is faulty, missing dependencies, or obsolete. Hopefully soon, I can get all the content to work. The Major Tri State Area project will resume once I can more of the content to work.

Last edited:
I just transferred 140GB of Trainz 2010 content to TANE from my portable drive to my SSD. About half of the content showed up as faulty, modified but faulty or missing dependencies. The custom buildings, NYCTA elevated structures, NYCTA and Metro North rolling stock is faulty and does not show up in TANE. What would be the process to fix content in the TANE CMP. I remember back in Trainz 2010, there was the Content Creator Plus and config file. Do these options exist in the TANE CMP? I am really debating if I should build the Major Tri State Area Project in TANE or Trainz 2010. TANE is great but from what I have tried out so far, it is not as user friendly as Trainz 2010 and alot of the content is Metro North and NYCTA content is faulty, missing dependencies, or obsolete. Hopefully soon, I can get all the content to work. The Major Tri State Area project will resume once I can more of the content to work.

There is no CCP or equivalent yet in T:ANE. That utility proved to be extremely unstable and would crash terribly so it was left behind. That's not to say that something like that won't be available in the future.

Now regarding the errors. There are three basic types which are repairable very quickly.

1) Texture errors... The content creator referred to a .tga instead of a .texture file. You'll find this with those old art-files.

2) Missing preview meshes.

3) Wrong/missing/incorrect attachment points.

All of these errors can be fixed using a Notepad or other text editor and adding the appropriate preview.im file reference in mesh-table in the config.txt. For some texture errors, you can use PEV's Images2TGA which can create .tga files if they are missing from the assets you imported if all they have is .texture files.

There are, however, some errors which cannot be repaired due to LOD references in some assets. These will require the content-creators to update them if they ever do.

I will say that I imported nearly 170,000 assets, or 540GB) of data from my TS12 installation into T:ANE. Out of this ungodly number of assets, I had 7500 faulty ones. I was able to repair 5400 of these and I deleted the remaining ones until they are updated. These were all assets with LOD errors, and some have been updated recently and up on the DLS so I have downloaded them again.

Repairing is pretty simple. Open the assets for edit, either just the config.txt file or the whole folder. You can right mouse-button click to bring up these options on the assets. You can then use AssetX to fix a lot of the config.txt errors you'll encounter. Yes, these will show up again and again, however, I found it faster to do a manual edit.

For texture.txt errors where there is no corresponding .tga files, you use PEV's Images2TGA as I mentioned above. You can create a batch used in his help file to do this much quicker than manually opening each and every image file when there's lots of them.

You can use a standard image editor such as GIMP, Paint.net and others to repair or create texture files for those assets that have incorrectly sized images, and are missing simple ones like black.tga for example.

And finally use something like Search and Replace Master when you have multiple assets with the same error. Using this program, you can repair 100s of assets at a time that have the same text error in their config.txt files.

Once all the assets are repaired, that you opened, highlight them, and choose submit to submit them again. This is the same as commit in the previous Trainz versions. Why the terminology was changed is beyond me on this one!

I would recommend getting your assets in first and repairing those before bringing your routes. Once these are in and repaired, you can import your routes. This is actually the process I used and I am happy I did it that way because when I got my own routes in, I only had to bring over a few assets I had missed in my transfer previously.

If and when that time comes to bring in your routes, you will need to replace the Speed Trees you have in your routes with non-Speed Tree equivalents. The reason is due to a file version change on the Speed Tree engine, all older trees will not work. By replacing the trees first, you will have no errors with this, making the transfer over simple.

One more thing...

There are TS2010 assets now up on the DLS. You should be able to download these as they have been fixed to work in TS12. Instead of importing these from TS2010, where you'll have to run PEV's Images2TGA on them, try downloading them from the DLS. This will save you a lot of time on that.

If you have any problems fixing assets, let us know. We can surely help you and very quickly too.

John

Last edited:
Thanks JCitron. I appreciate how you have helped me with TANE and the computer.. So far, progress is being made with repairing the assets. I was able to get most of the Metro North content to work and I am downloading content from the download station. As soon as I start importing the routes, a combination of tundra trees and forest summer may be good to use on the route. The speed trees are great too but they would probably put more work on the GPU. After downloading content from the dls, I am going to give the PEV tools along with the photo editing programs a try to fix the remainder of the content.

So far, I am making progress with fixing a couple of the items. I am mainly deleting lines in the config file and changing the integers in the tags to fix some of the errors. A couple of questions. For the search and replace master, would that program be safe to download since the publisher is unknown? I am very cautious since this is a clean install of Windows 10. Would there be a tutorial on how to use the search and replace master to fix assets in TANE SP1. For now, I am manually fixing each asset one by one but I would really like to fix assets in bunches so that I can have everything or almost everything fixed and start route building in TANE SP1. There are alot of NYCTA signals, rolling stock and structures that are faulty in the CMP. So far, downloading the Trainz 2010 content from the dls is good. For TANE SP1, would you know if it is possible to change the detail of the train? I remember in Trainz 2010, there was a slider to adjust the detail in TANE but I am not sure if it was removed from TANE. A couple of the windows on the trains (eg. amtrak horizon, amfleet, p42 locomotive) have completely black windows instead of see through or are low detail compared to Trainz 2010.

Today, I have not been able to download content from the DLS. I am not sure if anyone else is getting the same error. When I download content from the DLS, the TANE CMP reports that it is unable to download asset, please check my Trainz login.

Last edited:
The DLS has been icky lately for a lack of a better word, it took me a few tries to get the stuff I wanted.

Search and Replace Master is safe to download.

The original creator's website is Knowle Sys.

http://www.knowlesys.com/software/search-and-replace-master/

See if this works. It's really easy to use. :)

Go into CM.
Open those assets for edit.

In S&RM
On the file tab put in config.txt in the file spec window.
Click subdirectories
Browse to where you put your Trainz install and to the edit folder.
on the Text tab: put in what you want to change
on the bottom half put in what you want to change it to.
Click on Execute.

Done.

Submit the assets again and check for errors in CM.

Sorry I can't help you on the textures. It might have something to do with alpha channels or something like that. Keep in mind that the textures are higher resolution in T:ANE so if there is anything that's old, it will sometimes appear worse. :) There maybe updates of these locomotives or some down the road.

John

Awesome. Thanks JCitron. Almost ready to start using TANE. I imported all of my old Assets and downloaded extra content from the DLS. Almost all of the content has been fixed So far things are looking alot better in the content manager. You are definitely right about the textures having problems in TANE. Right now, my Major Tri State Area Project is built on a DEM by Fishlipsatwork. The red and blue hog textures show on the zoomed out view of the map, but when I zoom in to the point where I can edit the baseboards, those blue and red hog textures disappear. Would there be a way that I can get those red and blue hog textures to display properly? I wonder if I should construct the Major Tri State Area Project from Transdem. That would most likely mean to restart the whole project. If it is better to construct everything in Transdem, is it possible to merge what I have created from Fishlipsatwork DEM with a Transdem generated route?

I think there's a fix for the textures to get them to show, but I can't remember what it is.

If you do it in TransDEM, it would be quite an undertaking to start over and perhaps worth the effort, however, HOG routes can't be merged exactly into a TransDEM-created route because of the poor quality. Let me explain...

The HOG method is done by manually placing maps on top of the lower resolution terrain. This part alone isn't very accurate and is complicated by the use of TIGER maps which themselves are not very accurate. They give a gist of where things are, but when used in the fashion they are on the old HOG routes, they don't quite line up with the terrain. The roads, tracks, and other lines can be off as much as 10-50 meters in either direction. This adds up over a distance, and puts rails where rivers are supposed to be and even over mountains like they shouldn't.

As I've found out, attempting to do the merging, the baseboards don't line up. On one particular route, the two maps are off 1/2 a baseboard which makes merging impossible.

Definitely an undertaking to restart the route. When you get a chance, if you remember the process for fixing the old HOG textures, can you please let me know? From what I built so far with the #2 subway line in the Bronx, #6 subway line, Amtrak NEC in the Bronx and Metro North from Grand Central Mount Vernon East all took about 2 years to construct. Even though I have constructed the Major Tri State Area so far on Fishlipsatwork DEM, it may not be accurate as in real life or a Transdem generated map, I believe that if there is a good amount of detail to the eye and an urban scene in the route, then the route is good. Perhaps what I can do at some point, instead of starting the whole project over, continue with what I have so far (Bronx and Manhattan) in Fishlipsatwork DEM, and then merge it with my own transdem generated counties (Queens, Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey). If the terrain for Fishlipsatwork DEM doesn't quite line up exactly with a Transdem generated map, then it may not be a bad idea to add an extra baseboard or two with the urban or suburban scene to fill in the gap.

Good evening everyone. Below is a picture of the map that I have been working on for the Major Tri State Area. This was based from a DEM that Fishlipsatwork created. I have all the hog textures downloaded but the blue and red textutures that represent the streets and the rail lines and rivers don't show up. I wonder why the blue and red textures are no longer visible on the map. I am really hoping that I can fix this map soon without starting the route over.

When editing a baseboard did the colors originally show ... and suddenly disappeared when editing a baseboard ? Or did those colors never show up at all ? I had this problem, but fixed it somehow

The colors showed on the baseboard a couple of weeks ago when I was editing the route in Trainz 2010. Now that the route is in Trainz A New Era, the hog textures don't show up at all when I am editing the route and when the map is zoomed out. I wonder what the fix for this would be.

I am getting sick and tired of scanning my PC, using Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, Glary Utilities ... etc ... I previously had Norton, and Webroot ... and it keeps comming up with: "No Threats Detected" ... "Come On" ... How can I never have any threats, virus, trojans, malware ... etc ... ?

Even the cleanest PC, that never goes to "ANY" risky sites, has these ... but I got none, dammit !

cascadrailroad, have you ever tried to upgrade your computer with parts you can buy online, seeing how you always say that your PC can only run TRZ06?

Re: #134 Cheer up, you don't actually know you haven't got something sinister lurking on your hard drive just that the utilities you are using have yet to detected it. Of cause a respectable virus, malware etc. will be written in a way not to be detected, whereas it's the havoc caused which prompts most protection utilities to get updated. Have you really checked your bank statements recently, imagine the virus that only takes one small denomination from each account, one penny, one cent etc. would most really notice? Peter

Good evening everyone. I think I might have a slight problem with my Trainz/school desktop. Over the past month, I have noticed that when I leave my desktop with Windows 10 at idle, after a while, the screensaver displays. Right after exiting the screensaver, my desktop screen shows but then my computer randomly restarts automatically. This has happened twice in the last month with my Trainz/school desktop. I am not sure if it could be a hardware problem with the computer. I have also noticed that my other desktop which uses a combination of Windows 7 and Ubuntu restarts automatically at random intervals frequently. It is unknown when the restarts occur with my computer. Would anyone know what could be the possible cause of my computer randomly restarting after idling. I hope my hardware or computer is not starting to fail?

Good Evening everyone. I was hoping that I might be able to get a couple of opinions with my laptop. I am working on a DIY project trying to extend the life of my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. It is approximately 7 years old and still running strong. To prepare it for next semester, I have been thinking of upgrading the T3400 Intel Pentium CPU to a Core 2 duo T9900 CPU. That would be an upgrade from 2.2 Ghz to 3.1Ghz. I am also thinking about adding in a 256GB Samsung Evo SSD to replace the old 5400 RPM hard drive. Along with these upgrades, I am thinking about also putting Windows 10 on the Inspiron 1545. Would these upgrades give me a good boost in performance and speed? This laptop is only being used to work on projects for school and basic browsing. I thought this would be a good project to work on instead of buying a completely new laptop.

I would be asking what your heat sink is capable of handling with that new processor.
How hot does the 3.1 Ghz processor run at and what heat sink does it need?
- without overclocking -

Answer that question first, then you will understand what you can and cannot achieve with your Dell Inspiron.

Last edited:
Back