Lost map tiles bug - Wasn't this fixed??????

ctclark1

In a previous thread, about 3 years ago, I experienced this same issue on a different route and was told it was fixed in TANE. Clearly that fix did not carry over to TRS19 (build 111952), as here we go again, I'm losing all data for random tiles across the route I'm working on currently.
IgJOzUY
IgJOzUY.jpg

Making a bad situation worse, I've tried following the steps to restore an automatic backup, but these all fail miserably.
Code:
! <NULL> : Unsupported file type for 'D:/TRS19Data/backups/21-08-10/kuid 750621 100015 AW5 Replace/mapfile.bmk'
! <NULL> : Unsupported file type for 'D:/TRS19Data/backups/21-08-10/kuid 750621 100015 AW5 Replace/mapfile.not'
! <NULL> : Unsupported file type for 'D:/TRS19Data/backups/21-08-10/kuid 750621 100015 AW5 Replace/mapfile_38_-9.vtx'

The mapfile errors continue for a variety of mapfile files, all with .vtx, .obs, and .trk extensions. When it gets down to the session folder I'm trying to restore, I get
Code:
    - <kuid:750621:100016> : Filename '.__trainz_asset_overlay' contains illegal characters
    - <kuid:750621:100016> : Failed to import folder at: D:/TRS19Data/backups/21-08-10/kuid 750621 100016 A&W 2
    ! <kuid:750621:100016> : Skipping asset at 'D:/TRS19Data/backups/21-08-10/kuid 750621 100016 A&W 2' due to previous errors

Trying an older method of opening the route and session for editing in Explorer, copying the backup data in (replacing files where necessary) and Submitting the edits results in the illegal characters error and does not continue any further.

I'm utterly at wit's end with this software, because of the sheer number of failed routes I've been working on that have corrupted in so many different ways. I keep trying because I enjoy looking forward to what should be a nice end route, but never get that far because of garbage like this. Issues like this have occurred over many years, many different installations, many different versions, and at least 2 computers, so I don't see how it could be blamed on anything else besides bad software.

You can't import the backed-up folder data. In order to restore a backup file, you need to:

Copy the .tzarc file kuid 750621 100016.tzarc to the edit folder.

Once copied, run a DBR.

Note there are some .tzarc files with a sequence number attached. You can remove that sequence number and the file will be restored as well. I'm not quite sure what these are, but I have a feeling that these are the intermediate backups done by the autosave function that's built-in now.

On another note, why that happens I don't know. I've had that occur once or twice along with the more often found gigantic voids that drop holes, or sometimes create sawback ridges, along baseboard joints. This is probably one of those things that's very difficult to find and has been placed on the dog list to pick through during spare time, or given to a junior programmer to break in.

John,

Is there an official N3V source for how to restore routes for various editions of Trainz? If so, some links posted here would be a great help.

The problem of spikes and holes at the baseboard borders, and black spots in the textures have been around at least since TRS2004. It’s very disappointing that nothing has ever been done about it.

John,

Is there an official N3V source for how to restore routes for various editions of Trainz? If so, some links posted here would be a great help.

The problem of spikes and holes at the baseboard borders, and black spots in the textures have been around at least since TRS2004. It’s very disappointing that nothing has ever been done about it.

Here's direct from the Helpdesk

One of my routes or sessions has disappeared - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software (trainzportal.com)

I feel the same about the route mold that appears from time to time. Why wasn't that ever addressed.

Disappointing if this is still around.

I think this is a symptom and resut of the software being ported to too many platforms instead of concentrating on the original Winndows versions, getting it right and bug free.

PG

You can't import the backed-up folder data. In order to restore a backup file, you need to<SNIP>
I was following the directions here: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Manage_Backups#Restoring_Automatic_Backups
Apparently someone didn't get the memo that either that method doesn't work, or the memo that they were supposed to program that functionality into the program. That being said, I did try the tzarc method and it also failed. One would think that by now they'd have come up with a more streamlined method of restoring backups that didn't require venturing into the data folder and messing around with the raw files.

It is what it is. I gave up a long while's worth of work and went back to a CDP I had created when upgrading the route from TANE to TRS19. As it stands, the route rot is gone and hopefully stays gone. Hopefully for everyone else's peace of mind, this was just a random fluke as I seem to encounter so many of them in my past decade of attempted route building.

I was following the directions here: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Manage_Backups#Restoring_Automatic_Backups
Apparently someone didn't get the memo that either that method doesn't work, or the memo that they were supposed to program that functionality into the program.

That Wiki page is my creation and I tested the method described (successfully) in TANE and TRS19 when I wrote the document. I have not attempted to restore an automatic backup since as I now routinely use the manual backup method but I will have a look at it again in Trainz Plus (my current version).

EDIT: Just ran the restore method as described in the above link and can confirm that it does not work in Trainz Plus. I will add a note to the Wiki document. I will also put in a bug report.

Last edited:
That Wiki page is my creation and I tested the method described (successfully) in TANE and TRS19 when I wrote the document. I have not attempted to restore an automatic backup since as I now routinely use the manual backup method but I will have a look at it again in Trainz Plus (my current version).

EDIT: Just ran the restore method as described in the above link and can confirm that it does not work in Trainz Plus. I will add a note to the Wiki document. I will also put in a bug report.

Interesting because I just used it the other day to restore a whoops on my part and it worked fine and I use Plus.

Copy the .tzarc to the edit folder and ran a DBR.

The alternative is to get tzarchiver from VVMM.

Trainz Romania - vvmm's Trainz forum (tapatalk.com)

To use this:

Take the .tzarc file and drag into the program interface.

The contents show on the right.

Click Extract Tzarc.

When done, a folder is created in kuid-name format, i.e., kuid 123456 45678

The subsequent folder can then be dragged into Content Manager and the asset installed.

Edit need to add:

There's one thing that needs mentioning here. When choosing the file for restoration, choose the largest .tzarc files for routes and sessions. I found out the hard way that the tiny files are mere snapshots and not the full route or session and these will not work at all.

Last edited:
Dragging into CM per the above instructions IIRC only works for PRE TANE SP2 versions of TANE.

Try these instructions also from the knowledge base but covers both up to TANE SP1 and TANE SP2 and later. This covers both the backups stored within subfolders in the backups folder and those stored in .tzarc compressed archive format.

https://support.trainzportal.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/97/0/reinstalling-or-restoring-a-backup-version-of-your-content

Bob Pearson

[EDIT] Here's a link that's buried in the above reference that you might miss on a quick read. It's written by TH at N3V so should be pretty definitive on restoring content.
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php?title=Help:Restoring_Content

Last edited:
Drag and drop works on the latest version installed, it doesn't work if you installed another version to the one you are trying to drag and drop to, it doesn't work if you have moved or copied an install to another disk or PC.

Drag and drop works on the latest version installed, it doesn't work if you installed another version to the one you are trying to drag and drop to, it doesn't work if you have moved or copied an install to another disk or PC.

Complied with all the above "Terms & Conditions" but still no joy with Drag & Drop.

Try these instructions also from the knowledge base but covers both up to TANE SP1 and TANE SP2 and later. This covers both the backups stored within subfolders in the backups folder and those stored in .tzarc compressed archive format.

https://support.trainzportal.com/in...or-restoring-a-backup-version-of-your-content

Those instructions were written in 2016 and predate TRS19.

[EDIT] Here's a link that's buried in the above reference that you might miss on a quick read. It's written by TH at N3V so should be pretty definitive on restoring content.
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php?title=Help:Restoring_Content

That is more relevant and I tried it but still no joy.

Find the .tzarc file you wish to restore
  • Copy the file from \backups into \editing (e.g., C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\build lowxu4v61\editing).
  • TANE SP2 only: rename the file by removing the "_zzzzz" suffix (i.e., the file MUST be named in the format KUID xxxxxx xxxxxx.tzarc)
    • You may be prompted "If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want it changed?". Answer 'Yes'.
  • Open Content Manager then click Developer > Rebuild Database
  • This will result in your .tzarc file being read back into the database
  • The restored asset will now show as "Open for Edit" (this may take up to 30 seconds)
  • Select the asset in Content Manager and right-click > Submit Edits
The DBR did not restore the backup nor was the "restored" session I tried marked as "Open for edit". It was nowhere to be found. Fortunately, I had a manual backup which is my preferred method.

Just got a response to my bug report from N3V QA confirming that my report has uncovered a problem with restoring automatic backups via "drag and drop" and via importing content files. A task has been raised for the developers to look at.

In the meanwhile, the recommended workaround is to copy the required .tzarc file into the editing folder and then run a DBR, as several posters above have suggested.

Back