Lord9 uploading everyone's creations to the DLS. Vulcan - FMA - Pofig, etc, etc.

ex-railwayman

Will N3V please get a grip on proceedings, I appreciate that you may not have a full time member of staff to run the DLS, which is not the way to run your type of business to start with, but, this piracy issue is now getting a damn farce.
Lord9 hasn't even amended the config.txts for any of these creations before uploading them to the DLS, you can see who the original developers are, and they are all well established veterans of the game for the last 8/9/10 years, or, so, Iain Mannion, Sura and Vendel, etc, etc, but, you just put them straight on, why don't you just REJECT this stuff before it gets too laughable, he'll be putting Auran's creations on next, your own stuff, you might do something, then.

Yours despairingly with no confidence whatsoever.

ex-railwayman.

Unless the original author of the content complains Ex then nothing will be done by N3V mate unfortunately they do not care that the DLS becomes clogged with clones and other crap so your wasting your time, This has come up again and again and in the end will be their downfall as they have absolutely no respect for anyone other then themselves. You could all most call them politicians actually LOL.
Mick.

I just made a search and I only had 22 hits in return, all of them associated with a Russian EMU and its components.

I hope this is the start of a "hard line" policy by N3V as regards to piracy.

Seems like N3V is doing something. Three hours ago I had about fifty items listed in CMO, all of them with last night's date. Now they're gone.

Some may not like this but N3V are acting correctly in requiring the original creator of an asset to contact them to have assets removed. However, if enough creators do so, N3V have the ability to prevent uploading by specific users.

Shane

It's too bad that this just keeps on happening. Most times it seems to be Russians. I KNOW there are some really good Russian creators, but these guys are making them all look bad. It's bad enough that they do it, even worse that it gets uploaded to the site with no questions asked. N3V, just kick their butts outa here for good.

Cheers....Rick

If N3V won't cancel until they get the nod, can someone show me the filter they are using to find the copied content, so I can check that I'm not using any on my routes!

To be fair to N3V, they may not be aware of whether the creator of an asset has given permission to another user or not, especially if the creator does not visit these forums.

Shane

I noticed this with Pofig's trees but not the other assets. Hopefully something has been done or will be done. I'm not going through the exercise I did in December to contact content creators regarding their content. It has been the same usual candidates as last time. I suggest we avoid their stuff and not include any of it in our downloads because we don't want to end up with missing dependencies should we upload a route.

In part I blame this on how the multiplayer system works. If the multiplayer versions were hosted, but contained no useable content, by which I mean it's locked in a DRM fashion (I know people will hate this) so that it is totally in accessible to the downloader, then this wouldn't be a problem. In a sense this would be the similar as creating a self-executing program that runs stand-alone, but with no way of extracting the content. It may take some time to download the MP route, but once the end-user has it, it's fully available to them again and again. Any updates would come down in patches which would be merged in.

How to do this is beyond me because I'm not a programmer.

John

I like that idea except I think that the MP route should be downloaded as a route with the content without some DRM thing. The content in the route would only be accessible by downloading the route. Once the route is downloaded, I think that the content should behave normally, not be locked, as locking content, etc only complicates things, and I, personally, would just see that as a way for DRM to make it's way into Trainz as a whole, which is not a good thing.

Last edited:
I like that idea except I think that the MP route should be downloaded as a route with the content without some DRM thing. The content in the route would only be accessible by downloading the route. Once the route is downloaded, I think that the content should behave normally, not be locked, as locking content, etc only complicates things, and I, personally, would just see that as a way for DRM to make it's way into Trainz as a whole, which is not a good thing.

As a locked separate environment, which is more what I was thinking, might be the way to go. As it is now, the content is freely available on the DLS, but others have taken it upon themselves to alter it for their own needs, only by changing the KUID, and uploading the stuff blatantly without permission. If the MP sessions and routes were a single package, then there could be none of this happening. Once the route is downloaded it's there, but the content its self is inaccessible for any other use. If the end-user wants that content for themselves, they then have to use the DLS or other sources to obtain it, but it can't be shared.

This is a form of DRM, but sadly this is the reason for it because of what's happening. Would this make its way into the rest of Trainz? I doubt it as this is totally separate entity away from the actual Trainz version and wouldn't even interact with it in the same fashion we are used to. The only connection would be the launcher interface we have now.

John

As mentioned before, all of this can go away if the DLS Lords will utilize even a sprinkling of common sense when such cases arise.

As a locked separate environment, which is more what I was thinking, might be the way to go. As it is now, the content is freely available on the DLS, but others have taken it upon themselves to alter it for their own needs, only by changing the KUID, and uploading the stuff blatantly without permission. If the MP sessions and routes were a single package, then there could be none of this happening. Once the route is downloaded it's there, but the content its self is inaccessible for any other use. If the end-user wants that content for themselves, they then have to use the DLS or other sources to obtain it, but it can't be shared.

This is a form of DRM, but sadly this is the reason for it because of what's happening. Would this make its way into the rest of Trainz? I doubt it as this is totally separate entity away from the actual Trainz version and wouldn't even interact with it in the same fashion we are used to. The only connection would be the launcher interface we have now.

John
The problem with this is that if the content from routes is inaccessible for any other purpose, it could discourage some from making routes. For example, if I see something on a route that I like, I use those assets in my route to create the same effect. It is a lot easier for me to look in the route, get the KUID of an item, and then use it in my route, than having to hunt around for it after already having it on my computer. Also, if I need a specific building or other scenery item, load, or other and there is a similar one in the route, or one that I find, that takes away the ability to skin it for my needs and own use. Maybe if there was a safeguard that if you clone someone's asset, that creator must approve an upload before the download goes live. If the original creator doesn't approve, then the person who edited the asset will be prevented from uploading it.

What about some harsh treatment for these guys, such as:

- permanent DLS access denial (both download and upload)
- permanent forum ban
- permanent MP access denial (this should really hurt them :D)

I'm quite tired of seeing dozens of assets uploaded by some Mr. X, complete with the screenshots reporting the name of the real author...

The problem with this is that if the content from routes is inaccessible for any other purpose, it could discourage some from making routes. For example, if I see something on a route that I like, I use those assets in my route to create the same effect. It is a lot easier for me to look in the route, get the KUID of an item, and then use it in my route, than having to hunt around for it after already having it on my computer. Also, if I need a specific building or other scenery item, load, or other and there is a similar one in the route, or one that I find, that takes away the ability to skin it for my needs and own use. Maybe if there was a safeguard that if you clone someone's asset, that creator must approve an upload before the download goes live. If the original creator doesn't approve, then the person who edited the asset will be prevented from uploading it.

I understand what you are saying and yes, that would be a good idea too. The original creator must approve the upload, and this could be done via an automatically generated and sent email, which would go to the last known email address for the original creator. If the upload isn't approved, the asset doesn't go up, and if the content creator isn't reachable then that solves the issue once and for all either way.

John

Alter MP requirements so only the map needs to be on the DLS. Let the user be responsible for having the dependencies. I see no reason everything needs to be on the DLS other than to promote FCT sales.

As for the piracy, all you can do is alert the creators and let them sort it out with N3V. Known pirates should be banned but that is N3V's call.

i think that they need to be ip traced and ban that way. i have been given permission from joe himself to upload certain rolling stock for CSP MP. thanks again joe for letting me do it -inprr

Back